Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: How Difficult can it be?

Post by rasselasss »

Well off topic,Genealogy link to L.D.S. worldwide countries,states,census etc.may be of interest.....takes a minute or so to load....Free site..
Last edited by rasselasss on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Thread closed due to lack of interest..
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

To conclude and retain copyright...........Two sketches....Where "A" is a "stand alone "fixed fixture (ground)with repelling Neo magnets at 6'o clock (5 fixed magnets)positioned to 10 o'clock and inserted so the mechanism of the repelling swivelled Neo magnet "bob" /crank/fixed "V"does not contact or hinder in any manner the rotating wheel .......obviously the drum/axle/fixed "V"would be of non-magnetic material........Two sketches one to show position of the" push"of the repelling Neo magnets small though they be... without being fixed... ie. the nearest position....such is the "push"....this ensures the swivel magnet bob ALWAYS stays from 12-6 o'clock (driving side)...NEVER 6-12 o'clock (keeling side)...the wheel drum /axle continues to rotate ....to add the repelling magnets of the fixture MUST be of the same strength as the "bob"swivel magnet weight.........
Attachments
copyright retained 003_opt.jpg
copyright retained 002_opt.jpg
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Not very pretty but i trued the composite crank and wooden axle between two vee blocks with a clock gauge then pegged and smothered with Araldite,i'm using a wooden backplate fixed to the axle without the drum making it easier for the fixture access(with repelling magnets attached),....bit to go yet...i'll restrain the swinging magnet bob using two pegs on the backplate to limit the movement ...then static balance...i reckon its robust enough for demonstration purposes...
Attachments
composite crank 002_opt.jpg
composite crank 001_opt.jpg
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

Post by daanopperman »

Hi rasselasss ,

glad your topic is back on track , here is some thoughts on your composite crank ,

If you complete the crank on the side of the wooden axel without splitting the axel , once it is dried , just cut the piece out of the wooden axel where the journal is going to be , the time for the glue to dry is the same , but you will not have to true the device afterwards .
Attachments
Crank.gif
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Thanks Daan,it sure would have been an easier way to go,whats delaying me is i've been looking at a mechanical means to shift the "disc"off centre (so to speak)from 6-12 o'clock as you can see i'm trying(very)to keep the number of moving parts(friction) to a minimum. of two ..i'll post a sketch later ......Good Luck.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Rough sketch to show the problem of a mech. solution....crank gets in the way... thats why my first thoughts were "repelling magnets"which i know will work also i have revised the crank as shown...i'm looking at the other side of the backplate in some manner to shift the fixed swivel disc at the 6-12 o'clock side...have'nt figured it out yet...
Attachments
revised crank 001_opt.jpg
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Update...I'm having good results using a fixed "lead"shield that rotates with the axle and backplate.. timed to interrupt the repelling magnets(fixed structure) at the 12-6 o'clock position...then uncovering half a revolution later at the 6-12 o'clock which causes the swivel "bob"to shift away from the keeling side......a mechanical solution has too many parts.....and i've a buyer interested from Pasadena in this larger model..Good Luck.
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

Post by daanopperman »

rasselasss ,

Please keep us informed of your progress .
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Rasselasss,

Some years ago I was involved with a person only remembered as "Gary" who owned an internet service in New Zealand. He was also involved in magnet motor research for use in a powered wheelchair for his crippled father.

Similar to your approach he utilized the crankshaft and aluminum connecting rod from a long stoke single piston engine. A disc was installed on the main bearing journal which in turn held a lead shielding rim with a section missing that was timed to open and close in rotation with the stroke of the magnetic piston and a stationary magnet (stator) mounted on the outside of the lead rim.

I improved on this design by off-setting the piston on the connecting rod allowing for the addition of an elliptical inner rim lined with magnets of opposite polarity. This added a sort of make and break push-pull effect making the over-all design more efficient.

I/we lost interest before completing a build as this all took place before rare earth (neodymium) magnets became popular and available. We were limited to ceramic and alloy magnets which did not have the magnetic flux density (Gauss) to make it worthwhile.

With the advent of newer technology in magnets the design may now be more viable. At present I am not enthused about researching it as I had to give up playing with rare earth magnets due to a Defibrillator being inserted in my chest.

Ralph
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Slot in axle.......This is another idea i have looked at because to me how Bessler succeeded was simple and i believe we look in the wrong places for his solution.....how to work in a limited way through the axle centre....very rough sketch to illustrate .....through which we can transmit a lever mech...... slotted multiple levers......chain...cord..whatever and even using c/f to pull whatever from one side to other to create unbalance when moving ......surely worth a thought....to add a few examples in the link below....
Attachments
slotted axle 12-12 2010 004_opt.jpg
Last edited by rasselasss on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

deleted ....
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

The Kassel Wheel,if i rem. correctly 12 foot dia. with 8 inch dia. axle,not sure the depth of the drum or axle length..........bit of fun.....lets say for this purpose.....12 foot backplate fixed to the axle,we have a slot in the axle from the backplate ,say two foot in length,with an 8 inch dia,axle i think it would be "safe"for a slot width of 1 1/2-2 inches ....so what sort of mech......swing out,pendulum pivot style.....levers passing through either side of the axle(remembering the backplate can be used to attach permanent fixtures)....bell crank levers,whatever etc.......also because the axle rotates with the mech. we can utilise attachments there also if required......so..any thoughts..