Windows 10 - a cautionary tale and help ?

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

You should do the free upgrade to 10. I did it today and it solved issues i had with 7.
Or uninstall the player in control panel and reinstall. It should be there.
If that isn't an option then you might have to call support. Or search for a solution.
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: Windows 10 - a cautionary tale and help ?

Post by Mark »

Okay, Ralph. I'm glad that we're cool.

First things first, re: deleting the downloaded image files in bulk... it's LEFT-click(s), not right-click(s).
:-)

As to Media Player; a question, and three suggestions.

A thought occurs to me. Do you have any other players on your PC? Other than Real, or QuickTime. Like, say, VLC or MPlayer?
FYI - I had downloaded VLC on the advice of another forum member and it raised hell with Media Player (in WinXP). I had to uninstall VLC and re-install Media Player to repair the problems.
I have no experience with MPlayer on Windows, so I can't say as to compatibility.

So, onward...
Open Media Player
Tools -> Options -> File Types tab
Check the list to find out if there are any image file-types listed [jpg jpeg gif bmp png svg are common -- freaks me out a little that they might be there in the first place] and if so, un-check them, click Apply and then OK. If none, click Cancel.

Then

Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program
scan down the list for the image file-types and see what program is associated with each one. If it shows Media Player for any of them, change it. Click OK when finished.

If you made any changes in either of these two lists, restart/reboot your computer and then see if it solved the problem.

Failing that.....

from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8ec?auth=1

Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
Step 1.
Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the computer

Step 2.
Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the Computer.

-------------
I believe that re-installing should reset all Media Player settings to 'factory defaults'. You may need to input your Rip settings, etc.

Edited to add - I see that you're logged in right now [21:58 Pacific]... I just got done making some changes to this post. You may need to re-read it.
Sorry.
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Mark »

Elsewhere, Fletcher wrote:Having trouble with my program ever since I upgraded on the new laptop to windows 10. For some reason it periodically becomes unstable and bugs out i.e. can't stop the sim and reset. Pain in the A.
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-c ... windows-10

Hope it helps.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks heaps Mark.

I'll try it out soon.
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows 10 - a cautionary tale and help ?

Post by WaltzCee »

Fletcher wrote:Hi .. a week ago I upgraded to Windows 10 (USB) from 8.1.

All went well till I booted my laptop up. Black screen with NO curser.

Panic ... Kept rebooting (3 times not letting it complete the reboot) and it fired up and the screen came up.

It settled down and the screen will come up on a cold boot. But when I press the on/off button for hibernate the screen won't come back again i.e. black screen with NO curser.

Obviously there is a bug.

I removed all external devices and put them back on again. No it wasn't them or their drivers.

Finally in desperation I plugged in an external screen. Voila, screen comes up and works.

So I went into the power setting and what buttons do and changed my power button to 'sleep' instead of 'hibernate'.

All was good in the world again.

Then this morning (computer must have updated last night and shut down) I booted up to black screen and NO curser again. Plugged in the external monitor to get screen up.

Checked power button options again. Still set on Sleep.

Help, what's going on ?
ms sucks. A vacuum doesn't exist that has a prayer against it.
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Fletcher,

I upgraded from windows XP to windows 7 (64 bit), I too am having problems similar to yours.

My problem which may or may not be associated with yours comes from a plug in for Fire Fox "Adobe Flash drive" It freezes up Screen goes blank and a manual shutdown (pull the plug) is the only way found to reboot.

Quite often while browsing, I will get a message that "Flash drive" has crashed and it asks if I wish to continue, cancel or debug? None work so once again the plug gets pulled.

Ralph