Asked before ...

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

nicbordeaux
Addict
Addict

Asked before ...

Post by nicbordeaux »

Guess this has been asked before... Nevertheless : if I upload a pic or 5 to my private forum, is there anyway of keeping them visible only to the members of that forum ? I get the impression that anything I upload figures in the "albums" or photo section visible to all.

Seem to remember that the maximum size is about 640 x 480 in medium res jpeg ?

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers

Nick
If you think you have an overunity device, think again, there is no such thing. You might just possibly have an unexpectedly efficient device. In which case you will be abducted by MIB and threatened by aliens.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: Asked before ...

Post by rlortie »

Hello Nick,

My private forum here; "Gravity Solutions Group" is hidden, the only people that knows of it is present and past members. I, for example am not aware that you had a private forum.

Any pictures you post can only be accessed by your chosen members. They are in your album but will not show up to non-members. To my knowledge your members posting pictures in your forum will not show up on their albums unless they also have access to your forum.

Ralph
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

This is what I see when viewing your album.
Heavily zoomed out and compressed, but you'll get the picture... I guess: I don't... as expected.
Attachments
NicsPics.jpg
Last edited by ME on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

ME .. I think Nick is harking back to a time years ago when people would post pictures in private forum threads, in the belief that those pics would not be seen if someone outside the private forum searched their album. As a few of us discovered at the time (by random chance) this was not the case and those pics could be seen by anyone.

I for one emailed Scott and told him about this and I believe the privacy problem was rectified. I also remember Jonathan mentioning it in a post IIRC.

If you are a member of Nick's group then you will see all his pics. Someone who is not should not.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

nicbordeaux wrote:I get the impression that anything I upload figures in the "albums" or photo section visible to all.
Fletcher, it seems indeed that such problem is solved as I'm not a member of Nicks group.
He can verify his current issue, or impression, by (somewhat) checking the previous attachment showing what I'm capable to see, as he obviously can't filter himself out and can't be sure what others can or can't see.
Although he still has to trust I didn't somehow found those private forum images and then manually filtered them from my attached image....
(uploaded a better version, as the previous one was badly cropped)

Perhaps there's still some possible other issue, as most images are view-able as "http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/files/<filename>".
As a test I took a yet unseen tumbnail-image from AB_Hammer's forum (sorry Alan) and see if I can load it when not logged in; to avoid browser-cache. A thumbnail image has the same filename but prefixed by "t_", so I only have to remove this prefix to get the larger image.
<and logged in again>
...which is possible.

This means the image is accessible when the exact filename is known (or guessed), and only filtered out when browsing the album.
As the pictures themselves are unprotected, it could mean Scott (as site owner) is the one who could browse all images in his own convenient way. Or when a member passes the URL, it can be seen by non-members. And also any member of that private forum could copy/paste the whole thing....

TL;DR; I can't see those pictures, unless part of my previously attached album-screenshot.
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Yes this was a (bad) bug a long time ago but was only present for a short time.
-Scott
nicbordeaux
Addict
Addict

Post by nicbordeaux »

Thank you very much Scott. My idiocy, the easiest would have been to log out of Bessler Wheel after having posted something irrelevant to a private forum, then checking if it was visible unlogged.