Posting Practice

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

zoelra
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by zoelra »

Hi Mick, thanks for the suggestion. I continue to think about how to do this, with the intent to keep the real discussion posts short and improve readability.

It sounds like attachments have to be placed in posts to get them into the system - so they can be linked to later in other posts. With that said, the simplest solution might be to just place a single Attachments topic in each of the forums like General Discussion and Community Buzz. Not sure if this could be done, but if the Attachments topics could also be pinned at the top of their respective forums, this might help promote the practice as well.

What do you think about this approach?

P.S. An Attachments forum placed in the Public Forums section would be good solution as well but I'm not sure if the site owner (Scott?) would agree. I may PM him to get his thoughts or to see if he has any other solutions or suggestions.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

I don't think it's nice to do this in the Public section, as these are automatically sucked up by search-engines... let'm do more effort.
mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: Posting Practice

Post by mickegg »

Hi zoelra

Certainly a good idea to ask Scott.

As it's a personal preference when posting images in between text, I feel it should be a per user solution.
My suggestion to use a private forum as a "folder" for your images, would only work if the images can be given a public tag and viewed from the other forums.......I don't know if the BBcode allows this.

I agree with you that it does make for a much more tidy post.

Regards

Mick
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Thanks for all the good ideas. I don't have much time these days to add new features to the forum. In the meantime I want to make sure everyone knows about the existing Albums feature. There is a link in the top nav bar.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/download.php?m=1103

It doesn't provide sorting of images by thread, but it does allow sorting by user and time. Hopefully that can provide some workarounds for the missing feature.

Thanks,
Scott
Wubbly
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Wubbly »

You know the album page where you can sort by username and see all pictures posted by a user.
Is there an attachment page where you can see all the other attachments posted by a user (e.g. wm2d files, doc files, pdf files, xls files)?
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Not that I know of Wubbly, but I too would like there to be. Perhaps Scott will read this and be able to easily find the solution.
Wubbly
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Wubbly »

Testing the posting of an AVI file inside a zip file.
Attachments
rajspeeddoubler2a4.zip
avi file inside the zip file
(136.26 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Yes, that seems to work out for me Wubbly. I can view it and loop it on VLC Media Player.
Wubbly
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Wubbly »

You know the album page where you can sort by username and see all pictures posted by a user.
Is there an attachment page where you can see all the other attachments posted by a user (e.g. wm2d files, doc files, pdf files, xls files)?
There is such a page, but a user can only look at their own files. If you click on yourself while logged in, it will bring up your profile page, and there is the "User Attachment Control Panel" on the bottom right. If you click on it, you can see all the files you uploaded.

If you could view another user's control panel (without the delete permissions), this would be it.