Search for the Super Battery

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Search for the Super Battery

Post by Furcurequs »

Here is another energy related PBS NOVA program which was recently broadcast and is currently available to watch online:

"Search for the Super Battery"

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365946487/

They devote most of the time to Lithium cell technology, but they also show some pumped hydro, flywheel storage, "salt water" batteries and chemical flow batteries.

The "salt water" batteries use carbon (for the negative) and sodium manganese oxide (for the positive) electrodes and an electrolyte of sodium sulfate and water. All the chemicals which make up these batteries are supposedly cheap and non toxic.

The flywheel storage company shown uses 5000 pound steel flywheels rotating inside a vacuum and at thousands of RPM.

The program wasn't as detailed about the "flow batteries," at least in regards to the chemicals involved, but they basically pump chemical solutions stored in tanks through a reaction cell where the electrical energy is generated. I assume it's also reversible when used to store energy.

One of the more interesting things shown about Lithium cells... ...well, despite lots of fires and explosions from the traditional cells, of course... ...was about a guy who is working on using a plastic as electrolyte. His cells don't appear to have many of the safety issues of the ones currently available.

His cells can be punctured and cut without any of the explosion, venting and/or fire issues. The plastic doesn't allow for the dendrite growth that is a problem in normal Lithium cells, either, which means he may be able to return to just using Lithium metal itself as one electrode and thus further increase storage capacity.

Anyway, it's an interesting program and I would recommend it.

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

re: Search for the Super Battery

Post by Art »

Unfortunately Dwayne I'm getting a message on that link that says "video not available in your region due to right restrictions "

That's a pity , I was able to watch the Nova documentary on Tesla OK the other night which was very good and was looking forward to the above one , -

But I suppose them's the breaks ! :(
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Bill_Mothershead
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Bill_Mothershead »

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Bill,

Thanks. I forgot to put that link, too, which shows some additional information about the program.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: Search for the Super Battery

Post by Furcurequs »

Art wrote:Unfortunately Dwayne I'm getting a message on that link that says "video not available in your region due to right restrictions "

That's a pity , I was able to watch the Nova documentary on Tesla OK the other night which was very good and was looking forward to the above one , -

But I suppose them's the breaks ! :(
Hey Art,

I think the "Tesla" program was from another PBS series called American Experience, whose programs, as can be seen from the name of the series, are not always science related. Their shows are quite good, too, but they often are not as much interest to me as NOVA's specifically science related stuff.

Sorry that link didn't work for you. I suppose different series may have different broadcast restrictions.

I have seen, however, that there are lots of PBS NOVA programs on youtube, and quite a few more than I would expect if they were being taken down for copyright violation. So, I'll assume that youtube sends PBS the appropriate royalties or whatever and then not feel too guilty for giving you this link to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDuM_apIg8

..haha

If that doesn't work for you and you can't find another copy searching youtube itself for "NOVA Search for the Super Battery," and you want to make me feel guiltier, I could probably also point you toward other options.

;)

Hope that helps.

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Thanks Bill for the alternate link , however I'm afraid their system managed to get to that one too and gave me the same message about "right restrictions ".

Somebody down here got somebody up there's nose out of joint I think ! : )

The You Tube Channel link worked good Dwayne ! . Somebody somewhere is paying their dues I'm sure !

Its still not me though ! , which is strange when you think about it .

It's a very good documentary . Puts the state of the game nicely in perspective .

A Bessler wheel generating system would still be a game changer even if there are massive battery improvements I think .

We need to get a move on !
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Art, I'm glad the youtube link worked for you.

The series NOVA has always had top notch science programs, and I think they are in their 44th year now, too. So, I've been a fan of them ever since I was a kid.

Since I don't currently have a television, though, and have for the most part gone without live TV for two decades or more, I'm sure I've missed quite a few good programs.

When I do a search on youtube, it seems they have hundreds of past episodes available, so I'm sure I'll be checking some more of those out.

The shows on our public television stations have traditionally been funded by a combination of sources, I think. From what I understand, the producers use some government money that's been first given to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting who then divides it out to them, and then along with that they also rely upon corporate and private grants, and they get some additional money from the broadcast stations themselves who actually pay to broadcast the shows with funds partly received from (some) viewers through fund raising drives.

Whoever is ultimately paying, thanks!

Anyway...

I would think that the internet just extends their typical audience and possibly provides them with a little more of an income stream than they would have had otherwise - if they are able to collect from sites like youtube, of course. I think the performance rights societies are involved now, though, and help to sort this stuff out.

As for better batteries, I don't see them as competing with new sources of energy but rather as supplementing them. Light weight, energy dense storage batteries would let us power our automobiles from energy derived from our huge, loud and unsightly gravity wheels without having to tow them around with us with an 18 wheel tractor-trailer! ...lol

Having good battery storage might also help during periods of peak load. We don't want those huge gravity wheels bigger than they need to be.

Btw, I think my winter electric bills tend to run about four times that of my summer bills. So, it might still pay to have some sort of grid to shift power around to where it's needed.

Here's the link to the website of the guy who is working on the plastic eletrolyte for his lithium batteries.

http://ionicmaterials.com
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Yes I think the benefits of not having TV are +++ if you like to get some productive use of your time .

I've been without one now for about 9 years and miss it like a 'hole in the head ' .

Since all the best from TV can be had on DVD if you don't mind waiting a little bit and from your computer if you do mind waiting , you can filter out all the mind numbing stuff (which seems to be about most of it) and get your evenings back to do interesting stuff with (like talk to people on the web who don't spend all their time watching TV ! )

I used to be in the habit of getting home from work , dropping in front of the TV with a beer to watch the news and Bang all of a sudden its time to go to bed so you could be ready for work the next day . I lost a lot of my life that way !

I bet those people who are developing that polymer electrolyte don't watch a lot of TV , cause if they did they would have highlighted the fact that their batteries would enable people to have portable wide screen TVs instead of those tiny little iPads ! Hmm maybe I'm missing something here : )

I think if the Ionic Polymer people can deliver what they think they can (it seems to be still in the research stage) then they could be a Godsend for Elon Musk who I think is walking a tightrope with the promises on the durability of the batteries they are using for the Tesla Electric Vehicle . Its going to be interesting to watch !