Newbie Looking for Accurate History.

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Damon Ray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Newbie Looking for Accurate History.

Post by Damon Ray »

Hello. This is my first post. I've yet to read any threads; however, I've read Ran Levi's 2-part story of the Bessler Wheel at The Future of Things (TFOT). I'm conducting historic research for accuracy, and I find the story fascinating although I've already encountered as many conflicting reports as I've read. The stories in general sound the same, but there are conflicting details for example as to whether or not Prince Karl was allowed to peek behind the curtain. I may accept that Karl was allowed to see more than the general public, since he financed Bessler. Still, there must have been more that Karl sought to see.

For this exercise, I'm less interested in the fascinating mechanism's hidden means of movement itself as I am in getting the facts straight: key players, dates, timeline, locations, pivotal events, displays, talks, etc.

You may reply directly or aim me toward threads in which historical accuracy is key. Conversely, are there known fictional works worth addressing too?
Best wishes,
D. R.
Working on the Wheel of Luck
Silvertiger
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Silvertiger »

John Collins is who you want to talk to. He wrote the book on Bessler. You should send him a pm. :)

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/profi ... 9c4638fbce
Damon Ray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Post by Damon Ray »

Okay. Thank you. I'll look into it. At a glance, I saw quite a bit on the codes 5, 55, pentagrams, so I'm not too sure that's the historic flavor I seek. Still, I'll dive deeper, since I'm sure the code hunters and breakers know the "mundane" facts too.
John Collins
Addict
Addict

re: Newbie Looking for Accurate History.

Post by John Collins »

I wrote a biography of Johann Bessler called "Perpetual Motion; An Ancient Mystery. Solved?" It contains details of everything I found during some 20'years of research. Everything in it is supported by documentary evidence. Subsequently I began to search for encoded information which Bessler left behind him with the intention of getting someone to reconstruct his wheel after his death, should he fail to sell it. He did fail but left a number of hints that the secret was available to anyone who had the skill and determination to decipher the information.

I'm aware of the negative effect that talk of codes bring to the mind of many people, nevertheless progress is being made in that area, but for accurate information please read the bio, and the consider reading the four books left by Bessler, which I have had translated into English.

Pm me if you have any questions.

JC
Read my blog at http://johncollinsnews.blogspot.com/

This is the link to Amy’s TikTok page - over 20 million views for one video! Look up amyepohl on google

See my blog at http://www.gravitywheel.com
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hello Damon Ray,

Although John Collins is a believer that Johann Bessler actually did have a working perpetual motion machine and so he also offers up his own speculation as to how such a device may have worked, I believe his self published book is still quite good in regards to the actual factual history.

His biographical account of Bessler is apparently based upon years of research and study where he relied upon, with the help of translators, the original documents rather than more recent second hand accounts. I believe the name of his book is Perpetual Motion: An Ancient Mystery Solved?

John also offers for sale some modern English translations of some of Bessler's original texts which were, of course, written in the old German (with some also written in Latin).

I personally would highly recommend John's book for the most concise source of fairly reliable information and also his available English translations of Bessler's own writings - if, of course, you don't already read German and/or Latin.

http://www.free-energy.co.uk/html/books_for_sale.html

This website also has a list of Bessler's own publications and other original documents concerning Bessler along with links to where they can be obtained. They are, again, mostly in the old German and Latin.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/wiki/index. ... :Documents

The front page also has other valuable links.

I hope this has been of some help.

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
rocky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rocky »

Here is what you wanted:

Timeline of Events

1680 Elias Bessler born in Zittau, Prussia (Germany), Kingdom of Saxony.
Zittau Germany, sent to school there, Elgern teacher, Weise was town Rector and he lived with him growing up.
Name changed to Johann Ernst Elias Bessler when he did Orffyreus pseudonym.
Wisdom brought him to high seats of learning. Also fond of duelling, dancing and riding.
Reformed after fling with the Devil and shunned all vanities. Sought the company of only those who loved wisdom.
Refrained from feasting, gambling and carousing. Earned a living as a Cleric, a Doctor, and a Mathematician.
Learned sculpting, grinding glass, smelting, casting. clock making, blow glass, paint pictures, copperplate engravings.
Mastered enamelling and wax modelling, astornomy and making calendars, surveying woods, meadows and fields.
Worked with sulphur and gunpowder, made air-guns, expert shot, liked Algebra, performed many musical instruments.
Journey to Bohemia, Moravia and Austria.
Learned true medicinal arts from a man he rescued from drowning. Cured those in great epidemics.
Learned preparation of lotions and secrets of anatomy.
Visited monasteries for increasing his knowledge then returned to German speaking lands.
Augsburg, Germany, mixed with craftsmen
Vienna, Austria and Landau practisied medicine.
Prague, Germany, met old Jesuit priest and together researched perpetual motion machine.
From priest’s Rabbi learned languages and hieroglyphics.
Dresen, Germany, learned water mills milling mechanics, learned carpentery.
Traveled again earning a living as a black-coated cleric who preached. The year was 1703.
Also worked as a journeyman craftsman in many trades.
Visited universities in Saxony, Holland, England and Ireland.
Worked as a doctor again.
Returned home to Germany and learned organ making.
1711 Built first successful PM mechanism device at his home in Gera, Germany.
Worked as a doctor, cured sick people, delivered babies.
Took a vacation to the Erz Mountains, looked at watermills and mining.
Anneberg, a doctor Schumann, was mayor and chief doctor of the town, his youngest daugter was ill can could not
cure her, but Bessler did within an hour. As a reward he was given her in marriage.
Returned to Gera. Leased another house with large room to privately work on commerical version of wheel.
Gera, Germany, lived in house of his cousin, Herr Detter Langen with his wife.
Gera, Germany, laboratory was leased house of the Richters on the hill called Nickelsberg.
Was personal friend of local count and countess and shared news of discovery.
1712 June 6th, Exhibited first wheel at home in Gera, uni-directional self-starting, 4.6 ft x 4 inches, rotates at 50+ rpm.
Received a certificated from scholars to genuiness of device.
Made enemies because would not share secret and would not exhibit wheel on Sundays.
1712 Thomas Newcomen invented atmospheric steam engine exhibited power by draining water from a mine.
Destroys wheel and moves to Draschwitz, on the Knights Estate, to build larger machine to demonstrate more power.
1713 Exhibited second wheel at home in Draschwitz, uni-directional self-starting, 9.3 ft x 6 inches, rotates at 50+ rpm.
Worked as a doctor, cured all he helped.
Herr Gartner from Dresen became an enemy after an angry letter between them.
Gartner, Borlach and Wagner intensify their campaign to discredit Bessler, publishing a pamphlet that depicts the wheel
driven through hollowed-out support posts.
1714 Jan. Gottfried Teuber letter to Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz described Draschwitz wheel. PM 49
1714 Apr. Teuber letter Leibniz about Draschwitz wheel. PM 51
1715 Jan. Acta Eruditorum (Learned Transactions) article by Professor Christian Wolff described Draschwitz wheel. PM 56
The estate was to be sold where he was living so he destroyed the wheel and moved to Obergreisslau in the winter.
Stayed until Easter then moved to a village called Merseburg. Enemies said his wheel needed winding up.
1715 Jun Exhibited third wheel at home in Merseburg, bi-directional push-starting, 11 ft x 11 inches, rotates at 46 rpm.
1715 Jun. Leipzig Post Zeitungen, published for week of 24th - 30th described Merseburg wheel. PM 59
1715 Oct. Acta Eruditorum Leipsic magazine article by Johann Mencke described Merseburg wheel. PM 87
Merseberg wheel was examined by a committee of 12 distinguished investigators.
1715 No one met Bessler’s price for his gravity engine when it had been superseded by Newcomens steam engine.
1715 GB – Grundlicher Bericht (Thorough Report), Bessler, Germany, 1st book.
1715 Oct.31st. Official examination and tests are conducted including a translocation of the wheel to prove the posts are
not hollowed-out. Official certificate of approval issued. Gartner, Borlach and Wagner continue to make accusations of
fraud despite inability to explain or replicate Bessler's demonstrations.
1715 Dec. Christian Wolff letter to Leibniz described Merseburg wheel. PM 70
1715 Critique 1 on Merseburg wheel by Christian Wagner, printed in Lipzig by Johann Gottlieb Bauchen. free-energy.co.uk
1716 Critique 2 on Merseburg wheel by Christian Wagner, printed in Leipzig by Johann Christian Martini. free-energy.co.uk
1716 Jan. Merseburg wheel was taxed. Bessler was outraged and destroyed wheel.
1716 Jun Bessler receives letters from Karl inviting him come to Kassel.
1716 Jul It was known that Bessler had accepted whatever offer Karl made to him and would be moving to Kassel.
1716 Aug Karl the reigning Landgrave of Hesse, took Orffyreus under his protection and gave him lodgings in his castle at Kassel
1716 Karl, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, sponsors Bessler and his invention. To receive patronage and protection, Bessler
must prove his wheel is genuine by revealing the secret to Karl. In return, Karl agrees to give Bessler 4000 Thalers and
promises not to use or disclose the secret until a successful sale is made. After seeing the inside of the wheel, Karl is
convinced and offers Bessler the position of Commercial Councillor with protection, lodgings, income and the means to
begin construction of a new, larger wheel. Bessler destroys wheel and moves to Weissenstein Castle.
1716 Aug. Leibniz letter to Ershine (personal physician to Peter the Great, Czar of Russia). PM 52
1716 Russia’s czar, Peter the Great, sends two envoys to Merseburg to purchase the wheel but Bessler dismantled it for his
move to Kassel. They have to wait two years to see the next wheel at Kassel.
1716 AP – Apologia Poetica (Formal Poetic Defense), Bessler, Germany, 2nd book.
1717 Acta Eruditorum Leipsic magazine article described Draschwitz and Merseburg wheels. PMV 95
1717 Exhibited fourth wheel at Castle Weissenstein, Kassel, bi-directional push-starting, 12 ft x 18 inches, 26 rpm.
Bessler requests a long-duration test, with the wheel sealed and secured under lock and guard. This test runs for 54
days, from November 12th until the January 4th, 1718. He also performs a translocation of the wheel to prove there is
no hidden axle drive. An official certificate is issued to the inventor confirming the circumstances of the tests and the
favourable results. The wheel is intensely examined, tested and scrutinised by many notable scientists, engineers and
officials over the next 4 years.
1717 Nov. Pamphlet published by Bessler written in third person describing Kassel wheel. PMV 98
The King of Poland wanted to buy the machine but one of his councillors was Gartner who thwarted the sale.
Christian Wolf as agent to Czar purchases wheel with agreement the King of Prussia hold the Czar’s money in escrow
until envoys are shown wheel and given secret.
King of Prussia orders Wolf expelled from country because of his theology teachings at German univerisity.
1719 DT – Das Triumphirende (The Triumphant Orffryrean Perpetual Motion), Bessler, Kassel, Germany, 3rd book.
1719 Collection of Matters Relating to the Literature and Art described all four exhibited wheels. PMV 97
1720 Jan. Christian Wolff wrote to Laurentius Blumentrost (Head of Czar’s library) about Kassel wheel and purchase. PM 112
1720 John Rowley, Master of Mechanics to King George I of England, visited Kassel and believed wheel was real.
1721 Baron Joseph Fischer (Austrian architect) letter to Jean Desaguliers (Royal Society’s curator) Kassel wheel. PM 95
1721 Professor Willem Jacob ‘sGravesande’s letter to Sir Isaac Newton described Kassel wheel. PM 97
1721 Karl donates a house to Bessler, with garden and meadow attached, in the nearby town of Karlshafen.
On August 17th, Bessler destroys his wheel at Weissenstein Castle.
Bessler moves himself and his family from Weissenstein Castle to Karlshafen.
There is no information on any further wheels exhibited by Bessler.
1722 Jul. Christian Wolff/Bessler MT letter to Johann Daniel Schumacher (Czar’s Librarian) describing Kassel wheel. PM 114
1722 Daniel Schumacher’s report to Peter the Great, Czar of Russia about purchase of wheel. PM 119
1722 Jean Bernoulli letter to Gravesande about Kassel wheel. PM 137
1722 MT – Maschinen Tractate (Treatise on Machines), Bessler, Karlshafen, not published, found after his death, 4th book.
1723 Jun. Christian Wolff’s letter to Schumacher (Czar’s Librian) included Orffyresus letter about purchase of wheel. PM 124
1723 Jun. The Czar of Russia, Peter the Great, agreed to buy the machine and to put the money in escrow with the King of Prussia (Germany). Christian Wolf would be the Czar’s agent to inspect the wheel and approve the fund transfer.
1725 Feb. Peter the Great dies of an infection and purchase of wheel is cancelled.
1726 Bessler’s wife dies, Bessler remarries, jealous maid (age 38) from 1711 leaves Bessler (age 46).
1727 Bessler’s brother Gottfried, his assistant, went to England.
On November 28th Bessler's maid, Anne Rosine Mauersbergerin, testifies to authorities that Bessler's wheels had all
been turned manually by Bessler, his wife, his brother Gottfried and herself. She claimed the turning was carried out by
a small crank in an adjoining room. She claimed the posts had been hollowed out and contained a long and thin piece
of iron with a barb at the bottom which was attached to the shaft journal. Bessler destroys all documents, drawings and
models that describe and prove his secret, in fear of it being stolen upon his arrest. Karl discredit the maids accusations
and the charges were dismissed as Karl saw the inside. It is suggested that she did not act alone in her accusations
and that she was paid by Bessler’s enemys of Borlach, Gärtner and Wagner. His reputation is permanently ruined.
1727 Karl’s son Maximillian visits Bessler in Karlshafen to see new smaller fifth wheel.
1729 Professor Jean-Pierre de Crousaz (tutor to Karl’s grandson) letter to Professor ‘sGravesande about fifth wheel. PM 147
1730 Karl died March 23rd at age 76. Karlshafen super-wheel project and Bessler’s salary ended.
1733 Because of arrest, Bessler deleted MT 138-141 (drawings of his machine) and added inside cover note about clues.
1738 Bessler pamphlets of self-powered (avoided words perpetual motion) fountain, musical organ and submarine ship.
1743 Duke of Brunswick hires Bessler to build a horizontally sailed windmill, one with a vertical axis, in Fürstenburg.
1745 Last letter by Bessler, to Baron Schrader von Schliestedt (Karl’s minister) asking for financial help for family. PM 153
1745 Bessler falls to death on November 30th at age 65 working on Savonius windmill project in Fürstenburg.
1745 Widow, his second wife, gives Duke all of Bessler’s possessions in exchange for weekly financial support.
They consisted of a disassembled model of a perpetual motion machine and the unpublished Maschinen Tractate.

People Involved

Kessler, Johann Ernst Elias (1680-1745) - Germany, Inventor of Gravity Wheel, nickname Orffyreus.
Bernoulli, Jean
1722 wrote letter to Gravesande about Kassel wheel
Blumentrost, Laurentius - Head of Czar’s library
1720 - Christian Wolff wrote to about the Czar wanting to buy Bessler’s machine
Borlach - Germany, Dresden, Satirist
Friend of Gartner and Wagner. Did copper-engraving published as a infamous cartoon showing fraud.
de Crousaz, Professor Jean-Pierre - tutor to Karl’s grandson
1729 - letter to Professor ‘sGravesande February 3
Fischer, Joseph Emanuel (1693-1742) - Austrian architect
1721 - Baron Joseph Fischer (Austrian architect) letter to Jean Desaguliers (Royal Society’s curator)
Gärtner, Andreas - Germany, Dresden, Master Model-maker to the King of Poland
Published slanderous tracts and pamphlets mocking Bessler. Claimed it ran on clockwork mechansim.
‘sGravesande, Willem Jacob (1688-1742 - Dutch mathematician
1721 - Inspected Kassel wheel and wrote report to Sir Isaac Newton
Kendrick, William (1725-1779) -
1770 - ‘An Account of the Automaton’ by Dr. William Kenrick
Landgrave Karl von Hessen - Kassel (1654-1730) - Landgrave (Count) of Hesse-Kassel
Leibniz, Gottifried Wilhelm (1646-1716) - Germany’s leading philosopher, scientist, mathematician and historian.
Mannsberg, Baron Anton von – Bessler’s landlord at time of his death. A member of the Royal Society in London and he commissioned
the final wheel which Bessler was trying to finish when he died.
Moritz, William (1688-1731) - Germany, Duke of Saxe-Merseburg
Newton, Isaac (1643-1727) - England Mathematician
Peter the Great (1672-1725) - Czar of Russia
Schliestedt, Baron Schrader von, - Karl’s minister
1745 - Last letter by Bessler to minister
Schumacher. Johann Daniel - Czar’s Librarian
1722 - Christian Wolff letter to about Czar wanting to buy Bessler’s machine
1722 - Schumacher’s report to Peter the Great, Czar of Russia
Teuber, Gottifried (1656-1731) - x, Mathematician
1714 - Gottfried Teuber letter to Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (Draschwitz) January
Wagner, Christian - Germany, student of mathematics
Published more slanderous tracts than Gärtner mocking Bessler. Claimed split axle let it change direction.
1715 - Critique 1 by Christian Wagner, printed in Leipzig by Johann Gottlieb Bauchen (Merseburg)
1716 - Critique 2 by Christian Wagner, printed in Leipzig by Johann Christian Martini, Nicolai Street (Merseburg)
White, Johann Andreas - Germany, Merseburg District Magistrate
Wilhelm, Moritz (1664-1718) - x, Duke of Saxony-Zeitz
Wolff, Johann Christian (1679-1754) - x, Professor of Mathematics and Philosophy in Halle
1715 - Acta Eruditorum magazine article by Professor Christian Wolff (Draschwitz) January
1715 - Christian Wolff letter to Leibniz (Merseburg) December 19
Mencke, Johann Burkhard (1674-1732) - Editor of magazine Acta Eruditorum, Master of Philosophy, Professor of History,
Doctorate in Law, historiographer to Auguestus II of Poland, member of Academy of Berlin and Royal Society of
London, well regarded as a multifaceted scholar.
1715 - Acta Eruditorum (Learned Transactions) Leipsic magazine article by Johann Mencke (Merseburg) October
1717 - Acta Eruditorum (Learned Transactions) Leipsic magazine article (Merseburg)[/u]
- Rocky (Robert)
"All the clues become clear when you see the working machine." - Rocky
"Perhaps God will allow you to invent it, and fathom the mystery of true motive power." -Johann Bessler AP 265