Heat wave

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Heat wave

Post by Furcurequs »

I was feeling kind of hot here in my cabin and was wondering what the heck was going on since I had turned off my heat earlier, so I called a phone number which gives the local time and temperature. ...and it's 79 degrees out (at least in town)!

That's about 30 degrees above normal for this time of year and also, I believe, a record high - and yet we have an entire month of winter left.

This sort of weather is more like that of late spring (early June).
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: Heat wave

Post by rlortie »

We also had a warm spell here in Eastern Oregon! The tulips, daffodils are already up to about 4", the crocus is in bloom. Being February all such things must end, temperatures have dropped back to normal. 36 to 40 during the day and down as low as 21 at night.

Do not know your location other than to believe you are here in the States? If so simply book mark: https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/i ... n%2Coregon

Change the location using either your postal zone or name of city.

This is the same weather channel used by aviators and a transmitter is located near or at an airport closest to your location.

Ralph
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Ralph,

I heard lots of tree frogs when I stepped outside earlier and maybe some other frogs down by the stream. I didn't notice the state of the greenery, though. Our warm spell may have just started. I'm in east Tennessee.

That website you gave the link to has some advertisements or something that was freezing up my computer when I opened it in my normal browser. I was able to load it in another one, though. The temperatures here are supposed to be in the 70s through Saturday and then in the 60s for a few days after that. It looks like I may be able to get by without any heat on for the next week.

Here's a website I like for the history information:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Histor ... n=USOR0159

It looks like the average highs and lows here this time of year are almost the same as yours.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I had to get out today to renew my driver's license since I needed a photo this time.

While I was out, I noticed that we have some trees already in full bloom. Most had white flowers but I saw some trees with pink. They're all most likely cherry trees, I guess, or maybe some pears.

I noticed there were some other trees budding. The weeping willows were fairly green already.

I tried to get some photos from my moving car with my Android device, but that didn't work out too well. The camera in mine doesn't have a very high resolution.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

These articles have some interesting maps showing the current changes in temperature from the normal across part of the globe.

"Drastic Arctic warm event stuns scientists, as record-breaking temperatures reach the North Pole"

https://mashable.com/2018/02/26/arctic- ... EChmEvRkqj

"Freakishly warm air has again surged over the North Pole, and sea ice is breaking up north of Greenland — in winter"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/image ... orth-pole/
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Unusual weather again this weekend, it seems. It was in the 80s yesterday and I tried to endure the heat without air conditioning. It can be a bit hotter in my cabin after the sun has been shining down on it all day, too, and so it was also hot all night long with the heat still just radiating from the walls.

...but then it is supposed to be near freezing out tonight.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Temperature today is around 83 F. That's about 10 degrees above normal and the average high temperature of around the second week in June here.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Still much hotter than normal temperatures. Today the high here looks to have been around 87 or 88 F. That's about 13 degrees above the average high for this time of year, and it may even tie or break the all time record for this day of the month.

The forecast shows similar temperatures, if not even higher, on into the middle of next week, too. So, it looks like several all-time temperature records could be broken soon. The record highs for this part of the month of May currently date back to over 60 years ago.

I was trying to wait awhile longer to put my air conditioner back into the window, but it would probably be a good idea if I did that today. It's already uncomfortably warm inside, and my rock wall on the west side of the cabin tends to radiate even more intense heat into the cabin throughout the night. Evenings can be hotter than midday.
I prefer working alone.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Degrees Fahrenheit... Sigh :-)

Tennessee is about 36 degrees(!) North: that's about as South as our European bottom!
Currently we seem to max around 24°C (75°F), which is about 10°C (20°F) cooler.
But I guess that's a bad comparison [link], because (as far as I understand) we benefit from your second-hand weather as the Gulf stream is the main cause for our European milder weather pattern.

Found this: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... arch-finds
That's, eehm, not cool!

I see for next Monday 94°F predicted... Be strong Furcurequs!

When things where still funny:
But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bUmx-hk-c
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Our bigger Fahrenheit numbers look more impressive! ...and we don't have to worry about using decimal places. ;P

Thanks for the links. The one with the maps didn't load for me, though, due to my older browser and problems with some https sites. I may be able to get to the maps from the original source, however.

I knew there was some worry about the changes in the flow of the gulf stream, but I'm not sure if I had seen how drastic the recent change was. We do live in interesting times, at least.

Here's weather history information for where I live:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Histor ... n=USTN0347
The study by Thornalley and colleagues, published in Nature, used cores of sediments from a key site off Cape Hatteras in North Carolina to examine Amoc over the last 1600 years. Larger grains of sediment reflect faster Amoc currents and vice versa.
Some trivia. The place mentioned in The Guardian article (that I've made bold) is about 600 miles / 960 kilometers due east of me.

It's known for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Hatteras_Lighthouse

I once rode to near there (the Outer Banks) on my my motorcycle, where I met up with and camped with some friends who had driven over. We visited the lighthouse while there. I also road over to this place to see where the Wright Brothers had made their historic flight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Haw ... h_Carolina
Kitty Hawk became world-famous after the Wright brothers made the first controlled powered airplane flights at the Kill Devil Hills, four miles (6 km) south of the town, on December 17, 1903.
Also, the movie The Day after Tomorrow that was mentioned in the Guardian article was based upon a book co-written by the late night radio talk show host Art Bell who just recently died. He used to discuss things like alien visitation, ghosts and conspiracy theories and that kind of stuff. His co-writer of the book was a science fiction writer who also claimed to have been abducted by aliens.

After Art Bell retired from his radio show, the guy who took over for him, George Noory, interviewed the founder of PESwiki a few times about "free energy" stuff - before he went to jail.

Anyway, I finally put my air conditioner back into the window this afternoon, so it might not be too bad when the 95 degree weather hits, plus this time of year it's not too humid. Later in the summer, though, the highs could possibly go 10 to 15 degrees hotter and with much more humidity. ...if we're still having heat wave conditions, at least.

Thanks for the music. That's a song from my early childhood. It's kind of odd, though, seeing a group perform a familiar song for the very first time half a century later! Oh, and so that's what they look like! ...ermm... ...looked like... They're now old and decrepit or sometimes dead!
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

94 degrees Fahrenheit at 5:30 in the afternoon. "Feels like 103" due to the humidity which is at 52%.

So, our daily highs are still running about 10 degrees above normal. Normal high here this time of year is supposedly 84 degrees.
I prefer working alone.
ChrisHarper
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by ChrisHarper »

I waiting for Global Warming to kick in, as part of the normal Earth temperature cycle, as it too cold most of the time
in England. :-(

Chris
No demands are made of a person perceived to be an idiot- Perfect

My Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRGwI ... pIkj-YdiNQ
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

"as part of the normal Earth temperature cycle "

---

Sorry Chris , "normal" is off the menu since shortly after the industrial revolution .

But please select from our new menu some wonderful dishes underway for the Anthropogenic age such as , :-

Greatest mass extinction of the biosphere in recorded (fossil evidence ) history ,

Greatest reduction in biodiversity in living human memory ,

Loss of most Glacier coverage Worldwide and consequent loss of freshwater sources for the most populous parts of the Earth , - - and of course as you can see we have many wonderful catastrophic storm type dishes as entres and further down these pages lots of other combinations of purely human comfort issues which we recomment skipping , -

And of course our dessert menu has many interesting additions such as much increased atmospheric pollution from "normal " stored methane resources which will relieve us of the task of worrying about our measly carbon dioxide contribution ,

Etc , etc, etc .

But all in all , future generations will have many "normal" and "abnormal" choices from the menu for now and late into the evening to come , courtesy of our wonderful well managed Scientific age where we are deservedly at this restaurant --

------- ***** Masters Of The Planet *******
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
ChrisHarper
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by ChrisHarper »

Art,

Never been much of a 'what about future Generations?' kind of guy, I don't particularly care TBH.

You worry about tomorrow, whilst I live for today. Agreed ?

Regards

Chris
No demands are made of a person perceived to be an idiot- Perfect

My Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRGwI ... pIkj-YdiNQ
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

"...,I don't particularly care TBH."

----

That's a pithy !

Its an honest reply that says a lot !
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !