Aficionado

Gravity Battery

Post by Wubbly »

Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Re: Gravity Battery

Post by Tarsier79 »

They already do this with some dams. They use off peak power to pump water back up to be used for peak use times. A liquid gravity battery.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Tarsier79 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:53 am They already do this with some dams. They use off peak power to pump water back up to be used for peak use times. A liquid gravity battery.
I wondered why we do not use solar and wind energy to pump air down instead of water up as you have stated.

The energy generated at sea could be stored in air tanks attached to the sea bed. The air is pressurised by the water column above.

Naturally on land the storage units put forward works well.

Note. What about using cargo container storage units instead of concrete blocks. You may as well use their mass to a useful purpose.
Last edited by agor95 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

When i crossed the Alps about 30 years ago, there was a factory, which i can't remember what they produced, that pumped water up to a higher lake during the night, to use the electricity generated by it coming back down, during the day. If i remember correctly it was on the Italian side. I was surprised to learn, so long ago, that this created a financial gain.
One of the good points of gravity batteries is their ability to store energy in the summer, that can be used in the winter. Anyone off grid, a reasonable distance from the equator, knows only too well that daily cycling of chemical batteries makes it difficult to get through the winter, without a ridiculously large battery capacity.
Georg Künstler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Georg Künstler »

The energy is already stored, and we only have to make use of it.
The cycle is that the sun vaporized the water and lift it up in the clouds, and as a result we will get the rain or snow in the upper regions.
Every hydropower plant makes use of this energy.
Opening the valve and you can convert the potential energy in electric energy with the generator.
But that is no plus of energy gain, it is only a conversion.

I do it different with my construction of the "Waterwheel".
I make a start stop movement against the flowing mass and generating a wave.
This wave is a lift of a mass against gravity.
So gravity has to bring back the wave to the normal height, as it has been before.
What cannot be seen from our normal point of view is the fact that every river has a wave lenght of some km or miles.
The wave length is the length of the river.
With the waterwheel we disturb the movement of this wave and extract energy.
The flow quantity and speed is not affected. You can repeat the action again and again. After some meters the next waterwheel.

http://kuenstler-energie.de/index.php?id=29
Best regards

Georg