Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

agor95
Addict
Addict

Eve Online

Post by agor95 »

Hi All

I kind of got distracted in a cosmic way. However it has taken me down a path that maybe useful.
Only time will tell.

Back in 2003 I tried to run this new game 'Eve Online' on my then old PC. It was a complete wast of time.

Here we are in 2024 now my PC is an old gaming computer that was sold at a discount to get ride.

Last week I stumbled on 'Eve Online', the history of, on Youtube it takes 5 hours to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSeISY ... rikKnudsen

Ho the biggest space battles in 'Eve Online' are recorded in the 'Guinness World Records'
ChatGPT wrote: Eve Online, a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) developed by CCP Games, has been recognized by Guinness World Records for several achievements, reflecting its unique and extensive player-driven universe. Here are some key records associated with Eve Online:

Largest MMO PvP Battle: Eve Online set the record for the largest player versus player (PvP) battle in an MMO. This occurred during the "Bloodbath of B-R5RB" in January 2014, where over 7,500 players were involved, with more than 2,670 players engaged in combat at its peak.

Most Expensive Video Game Battle: The same "Bloodbath of B-R5RB" also set the record for the most expensive video game battle, with estimated in-game losses valued at approximately $300,000 USD.

Most Concurrent Players in a Single Multiplayer PvP Video Game Battle: Another record was set on August 23, 2020, during the battle of FWST-8 in the ongoing World War Bee 2 conflict, with 6,557 concurrent players participating in a single battle.

Largest Player-Run Alliance: Goonswarm Federation, one of Eve Online’s largest alliances, has been recognized as the largest player-run alliance in any video game.

These records highlight the scale, dedication, and unique player-driven experiences that define Eve Online. The game's complex economy, intricate politics, and vast in-game universe contribute to these remarkable achievements.
The battle of B-R5RB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O56g8K ... l=CCPGames

Also the most Capital Ships 'Titans' lost https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... eve-online

So I managed to get the MicroSoft/Apple game to run in a Linux O/S and login in.

There are 23,000 active users inside the 5,001 sun cluster in a region called 'New Eden'.
Think a complex version of 'Elite' that came out in the 80's.

For most I expect will say 'Never heard of it'. But it got me thinking could this be run on an old PlayStation 3?

The graphics rendering should be better than my PC.

Then I found an old PS3 you can load with a Linux O/S. Sorry no MS or Apple O/S and Xbox do not have this option.
Neither does PS4 or PS5 as it happens?

Then I should have a fast dedicated graphic rendering machine ready for Bessler simulations using the available. tools.
Also the game Eve for light relief.

Also this should increase the value of there old PS3's as people dump them for PS4 and PS5 etc.

I have some PS3 sitting around as it happens.

P.S. Just some light Off Topic Subject to consider.

Regards
Last edited by agor95 on Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:02 am, edited 13 times in total.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
agor95
Addict
Addict

Eve Online - Day 29

Post by agor95 »

Well there is no end to the depth and complex within this game.

Showing my ignorance the pile of games PCs are not all PlayStation 3.
Some are Xbox 360 and my ignorance is these are Atri PCs with PowerPC CPUs.

I did not know ATRI after the Jaguar/Amega time got use to make MS games machines.

You live and learn.
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Re: Eve Online

Post by Tarsier79 »

I played Eve at one time, and partook in one of those giant battles....Partook is a loose term as I mostly wasted HP and ammo and did no damage. There were clearly people sinking money into the game to have better ships and weapons. I wasn't one of them.

Agor, I'm not sure the advantage you are going to get simulating that you wouldn't just get by putting a better graphics card in your PC. Also, not sure if it will actually help solve Besslers wheel being able to run sims more efficiently.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Hi Tarsier79
Tarsier79 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:47 pm Agor, I'm not sure the advantage you are going to get simulating that you wouldn't just get by putting a better graphics card in your PC. Also, not sure if it will actually help solve Besslers wheel being able to run sims more efficiently.
One could say there is little point in anything we do.

Except the adventure and comradery along the journey.

As in the forums of Eve [Evil Vindictive Empires] Online.

Or here is this terrestrial version.

P.S. There are many paths in finding new concepts.

Regards
Last edited by agor95 on Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Hi Tarsier79
Tarsier79 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:47 pm I played Eve at one time, and partook in one of those giant battles....Partook is a loose term as I mostly wasted HP and ammo and did no damage. There were clearly people sinking money into the game to have better ships and weapons. I wasn't one of them.
I understand how you feel about E.V.E. and the rabbit hole within it's designed.
Ultimately a way of moving money from your wallet into theirs.
Star Citizen & Farsite are two failed examples.

I look on this game and others like is from several directions [dimensions/perspective].

From my younger self trying to better my score on arcade space invaders.
Thus building up the ability to concentrate and gaining 'sound worms' from the ever increasing stomping temp to the sound of being killed.

Then you move on and finally see through the game to the programming within; matrix like.

The on to game were this not the computer you are competing against but another person is two player games. And then multi-player games.

Then the game becomes an environment.

What lurks around the game is our human drives impelling endorphins response.

The more time, commitment and hardship generates more of a kick at reaching our target.

Tragedy vs Extasy being the extreme case.

TL;DR

Is everything we do based on the above or the promise of the above in the future?
Last edited by agor95 on Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Hi Tarsier79

Just is case you did not know - Eve Online has a 'Free-To-Play' option.

Or to be more correct - 'Free-To-Get-Addicted' option.
Last edited by agor95 on Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

To get a break from 'The Quest' I trade in this Star Cluster.

https://tmikoss.github.io/zkb-map/

If you watch then you see red dots; These are starship being basted.

The trick is to try and stop it being yours.

Fly Safe
Last edited by agor95 on Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.