Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Post by winkle »

have there ever been any women involved with ppm on this site or any of the other sites.....i don't belive i have seen any
the uneducated

if your gona be dumb you gota be tough

Who need drugs when you can have fatigue toxins and caffeine
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

re: gender

Post by ken_behrendt »

I vaguely recall that there was a link on one of our threads to a gravity motor that had been designed by a female inventor. Generally, however, women do not seem interested in this subject...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

I too vaguely remember a couple of examples, but there's really no telling.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Women have better sense.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by racer270 »

aaaaa.... i know of one......my wife, she is a member.... :)
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

I think that much of female disinterest in this subject (i.e., the pursuit of PM) stems mainly from cultural conditioning. It's not that women are not smart enough to pursue this subject, just that societies tend to subtly steer girls away from technical subjects and into domestic subjects. This, of course, comes about from the female's "job" of producing children and maintaining the home. Males, on the other hand, are expected to be technically expert and to be the wage earners and maintenance men for the females. Role assignment by a society is a very difficult thing to overcome...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
digitaljez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by digitaljez »

Sex differences are suggested in the functional and anatomical organisation of the human brain. Males perform better in visuospatial tasks, which can be attributed to their higher relative grey matter volume in the right temporoparietal area and, perhaps, stronger connections with the ipsilateral frontal cortex, which is coactivated during visuospatial tasks. Females show better verbal abilities and have a larger relative grey matter volume in the planum temporale.
It appears there is a physiological reason why women are better at talking than parking the car and vice versa. I would say designing a pmm requires more than normal use of visuospatial processing and I imagine if your brain does not support the means to process something it is not going to be able to take an interest in it.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

We once had a young member log on as 'Jessica L' IIRC. Asked one question, something like "What is gravity ?" then zip feedback or input thereafter. I think 'it' was a wind up.

There may well be females on this discussion board but using masculine names so that they don't feel intimidated or out of place. I suspect this because some certainly have shown symptoms of PMT when questioned about their claims.

ATEOTD ideally this should operate as an androgynous medium for discussion. Now where did I leave my high heels :)
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

My brother had a mechanical engineer working for him in sales a while back, Todd, and he said that at the beginning of the year in his engineering courses there was a sampling of women yet as the year progressed they were thined out. For what ever reason they seemed to lose interest. I think it's beyond social conditioning and is at the very core of their noodle. I've read that a woman's brain is chemically different than a man's. I know periodically it seems like my wife is on some of the most powerful drugs you can imagine. I try to just say, 'yes dear, etc.' I don't know if that has anything to do with a woman's ability to concentrate or not. I know it affects my ability to concentrate.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: gender

Post by winkle »

digitaljez wrote:Sex differences are suggested in the functional and anatomical organisation of the human brain. .
could be men are just more stubborn than women ....i am not lost
the uneducated

if your gona be dumb you gota be tough

Who need drugs when you can have fatigue toxins and caffeine
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

>I think it's beyond social conditioning and is at the very core of their noodle.<
I agree that that is probably the case, though not too long ago I had a female differential equations teacher.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.