Computer question

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Michael
Addict
Addict

Computer question

Post by Michael »

I have just been looking at the history feature in explorer. It shows all of the web sites you've visited today, a week ago etc. The sites are listed as folders. With these folders is a folder called my computer. In it are the files you've run on your computer for the day that have nothing to do with the internet. I've found confidential word documents as well as working model files I've played around with and everything else I've worked on. Does anyone know why explorer is catalouging my private affairs?
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: Computer question

Post by rlortie »

Michael,

I ran history and yes, I found one "My computer" .. I expanded it and got two files, one for "Music Match" start up and the home page of my bank.

Clicked on Music Match and received a message that security did not allow access to internet,zilch nadda could not even copy the error window.

I then clicked on my bank link from my computer file, I did get the home page but it still asked for my password.

No other applications such as documents showed up. nothing connected to my mail in or out!

looks to me that the feature is their for your convinience should you wish to recall something. I do not think that it is any kind of spy thing!

Ralph
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Ralph,
I agree it probably a feature to make things easier for you. I'm pretty virgin with some explorer functions though and it is still a little scary. My folder contains all of the files I worked on outside of the internet.
JuddBrooks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JuddBrooks »

Hi,
I assume many here know Aol, earthlink, firefox, yahoo, google etc all have explorers. :)
Since there are so many seems sensible to ask just to be sure. :)
Are you using MS windows explorer and MS Internet Explorer. If so, What versions. In which did you find your questionable files?

Judd :)
Looking for fellow inventors who want to share and go public (without patents/selling) to jointly develop a couple different bessler wheels :)
303.921.1554 cell anytime
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Internet Explorer 6.0.2990.2180
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Michael,

I downloaded 18 pictures this afternoon via private mail.

Just for fun I checked "history" in MS Internet explore, and yes all 18 picture title were present. When I clicked on them it told me where they were at, (my documents) but the specified path does not exist.

So if you loose a document History-My computer will tell you where it is at, but it will only open internet pages you have visited.

Ralph
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

My computer will tell you where it is at, but it will only open internet pages you have visited.
And files from private programs that have nothing to do with the internet.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Michael,
And files from private programs that have nothing to do with the internet.
Then I would say that you may have a security problem as Mine will not!

May be part of the problem as to why you could not log on yesterday!

Ralph
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Ralph,
I've just heard from my sister in law. She's a masterful programmer. She says that feature has been a part of explorer for as long as she can remember and she personally finds it useful. It works just like I mentioned where all the files you've worked on are placed in that folder. I've sent her a new message and I am waiting to find out it my firewall setting it on low if anyone can acsess my files from browing the history.