Can O' Spy Chips

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Can O' Spy Chips

Post by Oxygon »

Firts let me say that this is the only place I ever really post things...

"Garbage Cans Pack Spy Chips"

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffic ... velgy.html

Does anyone really care about this?

It is in my opinion no different than a UPC? for its use...

UPC can be worn or damaged by use and RFID just seems obvious, not evil.

P.S. - Plus if you have overtly heavy garbage, it costs the truck more energy from A to B... so a garbage tax for weight doesnt seem inordinate, does it?
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: Can O' Spy Chips

Post by scott »

I agree RFID on its own is not evil. The article is a good example of sensational (or yellow) journalism. RFID is simply a tool which can be used for good or for evil. Just like a screwdriver.

I also agree that it is perfectly fair and reasonable for a trash hauling company to use RFID on their trash cans to enable fair and accurate billing of their customers.

In fact as a consumer I wish my own trash company had this service. I would love to pay exactly by the pound for trash I throw out. I don't produce much trash, but my bill probably reflects an upward adjustment to account for households that do. Also, paying by the pound would add an incentive for individual customers to produce less trash overall.

-Scott

P.S. I don't know if trash hauling service in England is run by the government or by private companies. Here in Colorado it is run by private companies. If it were the goverment using RFID on trash cans I would have serious reservations and would probably be against it.
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
John Collins
Addict
Addict

Post by John Collins »

'Trash hauling' in England is the responsibility of local metropolitan authorities (town councils), but mostly they outsource to private companies who have tendered to provide the service. Collecting the data from such services would inevitably be open to abuse and security concerns.

I hadn't heard of this idea, but it seems to me that those who had the most trash might pay the most and were likely to be those people with more children and therefore, arguably less able to pay - while those like myself whose children have grown up and moved away might produce less trash and yet have more disposable income to pay the garbage bill.

John Collins
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Eventually, I can see the coming of a Global Warming Tax that will be determined for every automobile and home owner. Tiny Green House Gas sensors will, by law, be required to be installed on all automotive exhaust systems and on chimneys of peoples' homes. Kinda makes sense, shouldn't those who emit the most Green House gases have to pay the most to clean it all up?

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ