Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Self-Charging Electronics

Post by Oxygon »

In regard to the link below...

I have been saying this for a while with regard to Air Conditioning units...

not to anyone in perticular...

But it also would/could apply here... in a way.

Why don't Air Conditioners have a compacitor for start-up cycles (Surge - Always blows fuse, etc.)

Just recently I was wondering... and I have searched for this... Why no self-charging back-up for clock radios????

Evil Battery Company Conspiracy???

For electronics in general, Why not an inside power storage component for "Standby" that could charge while the unit is "ON" and keep stored power available to a simple relay when the unit is"OFF"... to turn it back "ON"...

Kind of how your car charges the battery... once the engines on...

Whalla, billions of saved energy/money

Anybody? Seriously... I am starting to get mad...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 929594.stm
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: Self-Charging Electronics

Post by rlortie »

Oxygon,

In regards to your AC, mine uses an AC induction motor that would not start if it were not for a contained high capacity electrolytic capacitor.

Now for the rest of it, one must not forget cordless telephones, satellite dish feeds, irrigation automatic timers, motion activated lights, battery powered hand tool chargers, and automatic garage door openers.

I am sure there are more, such as night light timers, a timer on my garden fountain, and it's not just the TV but also the VCR, DVD and Dolby tuner/amplifier.

I do have my PC, monitor, printer and audio amp plugged in to a master switched surge protector. One flick of the switch and it is all dead.

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hey Oxy and Ralph,

My AC works the same way. In fact when I got it installed, the tech had to charge it up with a battery first before it would start.

And Ralph, you should think about getting an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) at least for your computer and monitor. Then you'll have a few minutes to finish whatever you were doing on the computer when there is a power failure. It also allows you to do a normal shutdown, which is important since some applications, like the mySQL database that runs this forum, don't handle sudden power failures well at all. Tables can and do get corrupted.

Where I live the power goes out sometimes 3 or 4 times a year, especially in heavy snow. My UPS has saved me (and the forum) many times.

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Yes I do have an old UPS that I purchased with my very firs computer. That was back when Windows 3.1 was first released.

When I purchased my current Gateway model with a Pentium CPU 4 and windows XP I some how got the impression that it was not compatible with my UPS, Can't remember how I got that impression. May have read it in the instructions or the salesman told me verbally.

Any way I am not or have not used it. So far I have had no regrets. The only time I have experienced any problem is if I am actually typing something when a blackout hits.

I have more computer than I do skills in using it. Just today Lustinblack walked me through the procedure for saving a "print screen" copy. For years I have been hitting the print screen button and getting nothing. learned today that it takes four fingers to do it! Shift, ctrl, alt and PrtScr all at the same time. Took me four try's to accomplish that!

Ralph
Mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mac »

You're kidding, right?

The "Print Screen" button alone saves the entire screen on my Windows 9x sytems, and "Alt + Print Screen" saves the currently focused window (in case ya don't want the whole screen saved).

Mac
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Mac,

No I am not kidding, I have never been able to copy and or save anything by just hitting print screen. I just tried your alt + PrtScr but nothing happened. If it copied anything where is it hiding?

I am computer ignorant. When ever I wish to attach a photo here on the forum, I have to send it to ovyyus or someone who knows how to reduce the pixel count to fit the allowed size. They then post it for me.

We have a lot of off topic threads here, I would like to see one for PC dummies such as myself to learn how to get my dollars worth of use out of this expensive piece of flat screen.

I have Office with Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Works, Outlook, Wm2D, E-machine shop, Alibre, solitaire and all kinds of bells and whistles taking up hard drive space. solitaire gets the most use other than this forum.

Put me in a machine or carpenter shop with a good old drafting board and I am right at home. Sitting in front of this computer without a very patient tutor and I am a fish out of water.

Every one raves about WM2D, hell man I can't even get it to draw a circle. The only use I get out of it is downloading a file then hitting the run, stop and reset button! Some one will send me a script and for me it is as useful as a bunch of Mandrin Chinese hen scratches.

Yes I know there are threads related to WM2D regarding questions and answers. But they are obviously for those who know what there talking about. They do not talk beginner basics and I do not wish to clutter them with stupid questions that most users would claim to be a waste of time.

Ralph
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Ralph, I did a tutorial 101 on how to make a circle & attach it to the background so it didn't fall off the sceen when you hit run sim. Step by step. At no time do you need to print the screen ;)
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Fletcher,

Do you recall as to where I can find that tutorial 101. If I could draw a circle it may help me over my paranioa of the darn thing. If I could draw a circle then just maybe I could learn to attach a motor to it.

Ralph
docfeelsgood
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by docfeelsgood »

Ralph & others ; a bit off this subject , so sorry if i offend anyone. i have noticed you and numerous others are running Norton antivirus and firewall . i also did for several years . a friend recommended AVAST! , it is highly recommended by pc magazine as the equal of or better than norton and the home edition is free . since installing it i noticed a very marked increase in loading speeds and a whole lot less of problems everywhere !! i highly reccomend it & and perhaps others would also . what a difference with a slow dialup connection as mine !! better protection all around !!! you do have to completly erase norton first and they have files scattered everywhere. but it was worth it for me !!!! "DOC"
Mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mac »

Mac,

No I am not kidding, I have never been able to copy and or save anything by just hitting print screen. I just tried your alt + PrtScr but nothing happened. If it copied anything where is it hiding?
It should be in the clipboard. After hitting "Print Screen", open MS Paint (or another graphics program) and "paste" it, either with a menu option or SHIFT+INS (the "+" means press both keys at once).

Mac
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

There you go Ralph.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... =4626#4626

After Community Buzz Topic: Sim Tutorial 101

move onto Sim Tutorial 101 - part 2

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... =4740#4740