Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

re: Osama's Message to America!

Post by ken_behrendt »

trevie wrote:
Since 9/11, why did Bush attack Iraq?, I thought Bin laden was the person who leaded the attack, yet they just went on and decided to attack Iraq instead, where Bin laden wasn't even residing. He was busy burying himself within the Afghanistan caves. Personally I would of concentrated my efforts within the man in question sorted this out and then moved on to something else.
I agree that the attack on Iraq was a misguided affair. However, it does illustrate how concerned the West is with anybody, like Saddam Hussein, who might potentially destablize the fragile pro-West governments of the region and interfer with the flow of "black gold" to the West. Supposedly, during Saddam's regime something like 60 thousands Iraqi's per year were being murdered and now that has stopped although, sadly, insurgent and sectarian violence is still claiming many lives.

I think the West is now concerned with the continuing "background" threat to the region posed by various terrorist groups and, primarily, with the ongoing attempts by Iran to "go nuclear". Having Western military forces in both Afghanistan and Iraq places Iran in the perfect position for a "pincher" type attack, whether it be by air or land and that strategic advantage, most likely, will keep Western forces in those two countries for many years to come. Forget all of that baloney being circulated about how US troops will be completely out of Iraq in another 12 to 18 months. If they are, then it will only be because they have been re-deployed eastward into Iran!

Another interesting story surfaced today.

Apparently, the West has purchased something like 500,000 weapons of various types to supply the Iraqi army and police with and the US taxpayers paid for about 3/4 of those weapons.

Now, the latest inventory shows that only about 12,000 of the weapons can be accounted for! Where are the rest of them? Nobody seems to know, but our troops are starting to capture and kill insurgents who were carrying US made weapons and used them to kill our troops with! So, because of the infiltration of the Iraqi government with members with loyalties to the insurgents, terrorists, etc., we can never know which side our tax dollars will be used to strengthen!

Some positive news from the Pacific Rim.

Kim Jong Il has agree to return to the 6 Party Talks and begin negotiations over his development of nuclear weapons. Apparently, the sanctions and a lot of pressure from China has gotten him back to the negotiating table.

Will that work? No, I doubt it...we've been this route before. It's basically delaying tactics designed to frustrate the West and get them to give the Kim regime whatever it wants so that the West can "save face" and not look completely impotent in affecting the politics of that region.

At a minimum, this latest diplomatic "breakthrough" gives the Bush administration something to brag about as the Republican Party heads into an election in another week that could see the worst loss of power in the history of the party! Will it help? Probably not, the average citizen of the US still feels betrayed by the US' involvement in Iraq and the death toll which will soon equal that of 9/11...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

478 words. Thanks Ken.

Trevie, stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Ken was right when he said you can't judge a billion people by the actions of a few fanatics in London.

We have plenty of our own fanatics, too. Many of them hold public office. In both parties.

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

There's an interesting story coming through on the news today, but I keep missing the beginning of the broadcasts when it is mentioned. However, I suspect that we will be hearing a lot more about it in the coming days.

Apparently, the Iranian military is preparing for a series of tests of one of their newest long range missiles. They want to determine the reliability and accuracy of the design. No doubt, the Israeli military is watching all of this with a jaundiced eye and making their future plans based on what the outcome will be.

I can only add that making long range missiles to deliver conventional munitions payloads seems somewhat pointless to me. The damage that can be inflicted by these is minimal and can be more efficiently produced by a bombing campaign. No, those missiles are, most likely, intended to deliver nuclear warheads to regional targets!

Last week we discovered that Iran actually has another complete set of centrifuges in operation which will, effectively, halve the amount of time they need to produce enough bomb grade enriched U235 to make their first nuke. Now, we see that they appear to be speeding up the testing of their missile program.

At this point, I am still holding fast to my prediction that the West / Israel will make its move against Iran sometime early next year...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: re: Osama's Message to America!

Post by trevie »

scott wrote:478 words. Thanks Ken.

Trevie, stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Ken was right when he said you can't judge a billion people by the actions of a few fanatics in London.

We have plenty of our own fanatics, too. Many of them hold public office. In both parties.

-Scott
Scott what does Kool-Aid got to do with it?
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown
"The American phrase drink the Kool-Aid, meaning "to become a firm believer in something; to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly", is a product of the Jonestown massacre, despite the fact that the beverage consumed by the Jonestowners was actually Flavor Aid."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e+kool-aid
One lasting legacy of the Jonestown tragedy is the saying, “Don’t drink the Kool-Aid.” This has come to mean, "Don’t trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side." or "Whatever they tell you, don't believe it too strongly".

Also:
http://www.wordspy.com/words/drinktheKool-Aid.asp
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
docfeelsgood
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by docfeelsgood »

good morning!
Attachments
irak.jpg
Bessler007
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Bessler007 »

I wonder how much the rnc paid kerry to make an ass of himself or if he did it for free.

☯

edit: hairy, kerry