Richard Branson's $25 million prize to save the planet!

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: Richard Branson's $25 million prize to save the planet!

Post by scott »

I think the answer will be found one day and it will be artificial photosynthesis. But the problem is complex. $25 million will be just a drop in the bucket of the total research dollars necessary to bring it to fruition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_photosynthesis

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
MrTim
Aficionado
Aficionado
Location: "Excellent!" Besslerwheel.com's C. Montgomery Burns

Post by MrTim »

The thought of a genetically-engineered lifeform like that getting loose (no matter how benign it is claimed to be) scares me more than destroying the world through pollution....
"....the mechanism is so simple that even a wheel may be too small to contain it...."
"Sometimes the harder you look the better it hides." - Dilbert's garbageman
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

I'm not talking about genetically engineered life forms, Tim. I'm talking about replicating photosynthesis mechanically and chemically, i.e. artificially. If we could do that we could capture solar energy with near 100% efficiency and simultaneously remove atmospheric carbon, thereby solving 2 problems at once.
Photosynthesis should make any short-list of Nature’s spectacular accomplishments. Through the photosynthetic process, green plants and cyanobacteria are able to transfer energy from sunlight and initiate its conversion into chemical energy with an efficiency of nearly 100-percent. If we can learn to emulate Nature’s technique and create artificial versions of photosynthesis, then we, too, could effectively tap into the sun as a clean, efficient, sustainable and carbon-neutral source of energy for our technology.

“Nature has designed one of the most exquisitely effective systems for harvesting light, with the steps happening too fast for energy to be wasted as heat,� Fleming said. “Current solar power systems, however, aren’t following Nature’s model.�

Emulating natural photosynthesis will require a better understanding of how energy gets transferred from light-absorbing pigment molecules to the molecules that make up the energy-converting reaction centers. Since the extra energy being transferred from one molecule to the next changes the way each absorbs and emits light, the flow of energy can be followed through optical spectroscopy, resolved on a femtosecond timescale.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Arc ... nergy.html
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

I think there have been experiments with plankton which during photosynthesis absorb carbon dioxide. The sun is doing the work for us. According to reports this looks very promising. Adding urea increases growth and hence absorption of CO2. Don't know much more about it.
rounder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rounder »

Well they are only talking about half the problem. go to google video and search GLOBAL DIMMING it seems to be much worse than we think. pollution vs. greenhouse gas
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

JB Wheeler
it exists I think I found it.