Did Bessler's axle float?

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Grimer
Addict
Addict

Did Bessler's axle float?

Post by Grimer »

One of the most interesting features of the Rubber Band Gravity Wheel (see the "A precursor to the Abeling Gravity Motor" thread) Is that the axle is floating with respect to the rim.

This is not at all obvious from looking at the video of the wheel in operation since the dynamic eccentricity of the axle with respect to the rim is quite small and below the threshold of perception.

The question arises, was Bessler's axle also floating with respect to the circumference of the wheel.

A feature of the Bessler wheel which makes one suspicious that the axle might be floating is the fact he covers the wheel with an oilcloth and not planking.

An oilcloth is inferior to planking as far as security is concerned but the give inherent in oilcloth would conceal the fact that the axle was floating.

I suspect that most of the attempts at reproducing Bessler's wheel have an axle which is fixed in relation to the circumference.

Do any forum members have a floating axle for their wheel?

Do any forum member know of any attempts to reproduce the Bessler wheel which had a floating axle?
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
justsomeone
Addict
Addict

re: Did Bessler's axle float?

Post by justsomeone »

Floating axle? I wouldn't think so. The reason for the oil cloth vs. planks I think is so he could work on his wheel easily by folding away the cloth. He could also easily remove weights for inspection. Also he mentions that anyone that has reached inside his wheel and groped it's axle knows it is full of holes. I would imagine if it had a floating axle he wouldn't want that known by someone reaching in. Just my 2 cents.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

justsomeone wrote: Also he mentions that anyone that has reached inside his wheel and groped it's axle knows it is full of holes.
Do you have a reference for that - or at least the publication where you might have read it.

Also, what do you understand by that statement? To me it conjures up visions of a piece of Emmental cheese but I don't imagine that's what's meant.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
Bill_Mothershead
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Bill_Mothershead »

I should suggest that canvas weighs much less which would be
a significant consideration on an already massive 12 ft wheel.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Perhaps I should have said floating circumference because obviously the axle is fixed in the bearings.
What I meant was the axle floating relative to the circumference.
justsomeone
Addict
Addict

Post by justsomeone »

Yes Grimmer I do have the reference and should have posted it earlier.

I read it from Wiki, clues from Apologia Poetica, it reads

"Ask any of those who have groped inside my wheel and grasped it's

axle "- " Rather, it has many compartments, and is pierced all over with various holes. " - pg. 336
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

There was also references to the axle bouncing up and down. Which I would take as the heavy shifting of weight.
Bill_Mothershead
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Bill_Mothershead »

... and is pierced all over with various holes
Again with the weight issue...could it be that the prime mover
is not that powerful so he has to increase its efficiency by
making the wheel as light as possible?

I am suggesting that a ordinary wooden board can be made
lighter by drilling a careful pattern of holes in it.
greendoor
Devotee
Devotee

Post by greendoor »

Surplus weight, provided it is well balanced, isn't an issue regarding power output. It has a flywheel smoothing effect.
Anything not related to elephants is irrelephant.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

GreenDoor wrote:Surplus weight, provided it is well balanced, isn't an issue regarding power output. It has a flywheel smoothing effect.
Very true! Even an unbalanced wheel isn't an issue once the wheel is in motion. It only causes the wheel to speed up and slow down once each rotation.