The polygonal gears and the Jacob-ladder

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

path_finder
Addict
Addict

The polygonal gears and the Jacob-ladder

Post by path_finder »

An alternative to the classic gears assembly is the use of some polygonal shapes.
This kind of structure is more easy to build (there is no need for a complex automotive lathe, when the regularity of the teeth being a mandatory).
Then the motion of the both parts is self adjusting.
In addition a flip-flop effect is very useful in some circumstances.
But nobody is perfect and there is a big disconvenience: the synchronization can be deficient.
With good shaped teeth it's rare to miss a tooth. It can happen but less than with the polygonal gears.
So far the solution does exist: the jacob ladder.

Suppose you want let run a hexagon inside an octogon, like in the animation here:
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/downl ... b2c008661b)
The picture below shows an hexagon rotating inside a duodecagon.
In view to be sure that each step of the hexagon motion is correctly executed, just install a Jacob ladder on the inner surface of the outer rim, including the six segments of the hexagon. By the way this hexagon will be 'sticked' to the outer rim by the three ribbons of the Jacob ladder.
If you want use some other material than the tissue ribbons, a succession of rods linked like in the MT138 can do the same job.
Attachments
6x12_polygonal-gear1.jpg
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
greendoor
Devotee
Devotee

Post by greendoor »

Very clever - thank you for this!
path_finder
Addict
Addict

re: The polygonal gears and the Jacob-ladder

Post by path_finder »

Another example.
When the wheel rotates 4 (four) turns, the square rotates 5 (five) times.
BTW this is a method to replace the gears.
Attachments
penta_square1.gif
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
beapilot
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by beapilot »

I had an idea with a ball inside rolling pretty much the same as you concept a few months ago. I created my idea in a way I can get it to keep spinning. I stopped because my brother, civil engineer, told me that mgh is less when work is done which will not work. Well, just today, after getting crazy eyes, I figured maybe a square like your idea will do it. I placed it into my idea and sounds so much better. I am currently drawing it and will post it as a new thread.

Edit, you may want to attach a pendulum on that red dot? What program are you using to animate?
path_finder
Addict
Addict

Post by path_finder »

Dear Beapilot,

1. Don't use an external Web site to store your pictures or documents.
They will disappear after a short time and so far not available anymore for the forum readers.
When you enter your text for a new message, there is blue line with the mention 'Click to Add an attachment', click on here and then on the button 'browse'.
Then select on your disk the file or picture you want to display/upload.
At the least dont forget for the validation to click on the 'Add attachment' button.

2. I'm working under Linux Fedora 10.
All individual shots are made under KolourPaint as *.png
Then conversion in *.gif by GIMP
Then as root:
#gifsicle --delay=10 --loop *.gif > anim.gif
This way seems to come from the Middle-Age miniaturist.
But it has a giant advantage: you find immediately any error.
Note: I'm not sure, but gifsicle could be available (gratis) under Win*&#@è* (not gratis)....

3. Just a remark on the animation above:
If you look with attention on the path of the square center (red dot), you will observe a derivation on the left of 45 grades, instead on the right side of 27 grades.
There is obviously an unbalance but in the wrong direction.
Hanging something on this red dot will have a reversed effect on the direction of the rotation. Therefore an additional mechanism must be implemented if you want to use this kind of design.
The only valuable purpose of this design is a 'rotation reductor'.