Tips for using the new forum

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

graham
Devotee
Devotee

re: Tips for using the new board

Post by graham »

Hello Scott , thanks for the answer to my question . I thought it might be someting to do with my browser settings or whatever.
My enquiring mind is always looking for answers, now if only I can solve that BIG one , the one that spins !!!

You do a great job in the "housekeeping" of this site and and I won't trouble you to fix those few threads that come out wider than they should.

Thanks again

Graham
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Ralph here,

I have another question about board procedure not found in FAQ.

In the last two days I have attempted to reply or post to general discussion or private letter.
I log on, hit the post Icon and open the message window. I type my text and then active the spell check. I then hit submit. At this point a login window opens and I am forced to log on again, for second time.

After logging in, I am directed back to the post window but my letter has disappeared.

This occurence has happened four times in the last two days.

HELP!!! It is getting fusterating to write a descriptive text that I have spent considerable time on only to have it disappear.

Ralph Lortie
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Ralph,

In the past I've been asked twice for my password (both here and on other phpBB boards) but now I just never logout. I'd need to lookup my password if I did.

With longer posts I usually first write the post in notepad. Then I copy and paste it into the posting window. After I see it has posted OK I close notepad without saving.

Sometimes I copy it and paste into MS Word and do a spell & grammer check, then copy and paste it back into notepad to remove all the formating junk that Word creates.

Just trying to be helpfull.

rlortie
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Tips for using the new board

Post by rlortie »

jim_mich wrote:Ralph,

In the past I've been asked twice for my password (both here and on other phpBB boards) but now I just never logout. I'd need to lookup my password if I did.

With longer posts I usually first write the post in notepad. Then I copy and paste it into the posting window. After I see it has posted OK I close notepad without saving.

Sometimes I copy it and paste into MS Word and do a spell & grammer check, then copy and paste it back into notepad to remove all the formating junk that Word creates.

Just trying to be helpfull.

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I understand about the write copy paste and have used this method before.

My problem is getting routed to a log in page when I submit. I do not stay logged in at all times as you describe ,but I do log in when entering and out when leaving. This routine of getting a log in when submitting, in turn losing my post is intermitent and only seems to happen with long posts. I can only attribute it to murphys law part x that states"the longer the letter the more likely you will loose it.

Ralph
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Hi Ralph,

I too have experienced this. I now routinely copy to notepad my post b4 submitting in case this happens. If I am asked to log in again I start another post & paste it straight in. I put it down to being to slow to write it or have got distracted for some period when writing it. It seems to log you out after a set period ?
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

It has happened to me too, and Fletcher is right, that is why, it thinks you left and logs out (apparently typing in a dialog box produces changes only in your computer until you hit submit, so from the site's perspective you've just been staring at the same page for all that time).
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Tips for using the new board

Post by rlortie »

Fletcher wrote:Hi Ralph,

I too have experienced this. I now routinely copy to notepad my post b4 submitting in case this happens. If I am asked to log in again I start another post & paste it straight in. I put it down to being to slow to write it or have got distracted for some period when writing it. It seems to log you out after a set period ?
Fletcher and Jonathan.

The possible logging off after a set time, makes sense, as I am slow at putting my thoughts to text.

That leaves leaves this discussion in a contradictory state as, Jim say's he never logs out and does not remember his pass word.

What is he doing different than the rest of us that have experienced this problem?

Ralph
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Ralph wrote:That leaves leaves this discussion in a contradictory state as, Jim say's he never logs out and does not remember his pass word.

What is he doing different than the rest of us that have experienced this problem?
What I do differently is I almost always compose my postings off line in notepad. Then copy, click the post button, paste the text, read it over to make sure I didn't say something really stupid, click the submit button, and if it posts OK I close notepad without saving. Usually take less than a minute or so to do the actual post.

This also allows me to see if someone else posted in the last minute or so.

Stewart
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Stewart »

I tend to type the message directly into the text box, but if it is a long message then before submitting the post I highlight and copy the contents into the clipboard, so that if it doesn't work I can just create the post again by pasting the contents of the clipboard back into the text box.

Stewart
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Group,

I received an update newsletter from Microsoft XP with the following posting. No beinga a PC whiz I found it very helpful.

It is possible to view two subjects at the same time; you can reference one while building text in the other. I tried it and it works great for guys with short memories like myself. If you are not aware of this feature you will be surprised at its convenience.

First open the forum letter you wish to reply to, do not open post. Then open Note pad, Word, Excel or any other program you may be using. When you open it will cover up your Bessler post. Now minimize this program to task bar. Hold down Ctrl and right click on program task bar icon, a window will open, left click on "tile vertically". Your word processor or program will reappear on a split screen beside the letter you wish to reply too for ready reference.

After completing your letter hit save, then copy. Open your post window and paste. I have experiment with this and find that it is more effective using the tool bar edit to select all" then copy, rather than right clicking on subject text.

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi Ralph,
I'm sorry to hear you had trouble. But I'm glad you seem to have arrived at a solution. Just so you know, the discussion board will automatically log you out after 60 minutes of inactivity.

If you submit a post after you have been automatically logged out and get the login screen, you can just use your browser's back button to go back and copy the contents of your post to the system clipboard. Then after you log in again, you can submit your post by just pasting it in.

Also, you can check the box when you log in that says "Remember me," and from then on you will be logged in automatically each time you visit the website from that computer. (don't check this box if you're using a shared computer)

-Scott
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

The karma system is kinda scaring me, can I have details about how it works?
EDIT when you hover over the negative button, it says "Smelt" next to the mouse, I think you mean "Smite".
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
etjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by etjoe »

Maybe this karma thing should be used in conjunction with PM; only people who PM you can receive a good/bad point on their karma from you.

-e
MC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MC »

Shouldn't the reply-form open up in a new window when you hit the "post reply"-button so you can see what you are answering to while trying to compose an answer. I know this can easily be achieved by holding down the SHIFT-key while hitting the "post reply"-button. But, who thinks of that? I don't, even though I know!

Thanks for your eminent board & site, Scott!

MC - trying to contribute
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi MC, Thanks! I'm glad you like the site.

There is a "Topic Review" section right under the posting form. Just look there to see the whole thread you are responding to.
-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667