The Voyage of The HMS Bessler part 2

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

The Voyage of The HMS Bessler part 2

Post by Wheeler »

This is a continued story from the topic Please test me on my design.

This is the Story of a ship guided by the well known Captain Ken of his ship
The Mighty HMS Bessler.
This is the story as it has now changed course and Captain Ken has agreed to let Commander Wheeler and Mr Mud continue the search for the secrets of JB Bessler.
Here is where The Captain decides what is best for the ship and crew.
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:54 pm Post subject: re: Please test me on my design

Captain Ken
Salute!
In light of the circumstances that have taken us this far in the search for Sir Besslers secrets, I am requesting leave at the next possible port or closest isle.
The HMS Bessler has performed better than expected. She has taken us through many victories.
It was my plan to ask you to give my rank to Mud and ask for some rations to hold me over until I can set up camp alone. However, Mud somehow knew what I was up to from the beginning. He has voiced to me his desire to port and continue the search in whatever way we can.

I would be pleased if the Captain would or could come with us. I think perhaps that you may wish to sail the crew home safely as many are homesick and rations are getting low.
My plan would be to use what you have taught me and continue on the same principal you have set forth.
If this is accepted, I shall keep a log and send word as I progress.
We would first build a base camp where we would build a ship to sail the final leg of the search.
Thank you Sir, for your skill has brought me to this point.
Commander Wheeler
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:39 am Post subject: re: Please test me on my design

Attention crew...

There have been rumors circulating of late that the HMS Bessler is no longer sea worthy and that this is the reason for our difficulties in making headway toward Volcano Isle.

Let me now refute all such rumors in the strongest possible terms. The HMS Bessler is in good seaworthy condition. Her keel is sturdy and the absence of bilge water attests to the tightness of her hull. We have more than adequate provisions and much of our canvas is still unused. Ordinarily, I would not hesitate to circumnavigate the globe in her.

However, there appears to be unusual weather conditions brewing in the Indian Ocean that make our approach from the west unusually perilous. To attempt to continue as we have against such weather impediments would only add to our hardship at this time.
Therefore, I have decided that, in the interests of crew's and ship's safety, I am going to abort our present mission and return to our home port in England.
JB Wheeler
it exists I think I found it.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

re: The Voyage of The HMS Bessler part 2

Post by ken_behrendt »

Commander Wheeler...

Godspeed with your mission. As you and Mud have requested, we have put you ashore on the island of Madagascar at the port of Tolanaro. I and the entire crew of the HMS Bessler wish you well with your continuing efforts to unravel the mysteries of Admiral Bessler's inventions.

Yes, do please send word to me of your progress at my home in Portsmouth and I will disseminate it to the rest of our crew as the information arrives. Some may have some additional information which could be of benefit to you and Mr. Mud.

Meanwhile, the HMS Bessler is now under full sail and should be reaching Capetown in less than a week at which time I shall be ordering some badly needed shoreleave for our overworked crew.

I have much to ponder on the remaining voyage back to England...

Captain Ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Well say something Mud!
Sorry I forgot for a moment (no tongue right)?
Attachments
Fair-well.JPG
JB Wheeler
graham
Devotee
Devotee

Post by graham »

Cap'n Ken , now that the mission is on hold , might I suggest that to keep the crew busy they might be given the task of scraping down the poop deck. Have you looked at it recently?
It's not a pretty sight.

Graham
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

I would not be surprised if Mr Mudd has not quietly departed and returned to New South Wales. Where he discovered a sweet native lass. He has found a paradise retreat away from modern convenience such as power lines.

He is probably working on his own concepts that he learned along his voyage.

If he has not done this, I would be surprised to hear otherwise,

Ralph
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Log
Mud and I approached the isle with caution.
I am not sure we should be here.
I can hardly write as mud is not happy and he is
paddling with much hurry as we investigate a large cave.
I agree with mud to go past it for now. It looks unsafe.
Mud pointed to the left side of the cave with his oar and immediately lost it to the current that seems to pull into the cave, and to our surprise sank below surface as it continued into the cave.
We have now three oars as the good Captain advised us to bring four.
We can only hope we chose the right island.
I am trying to think as if the Captain was telling me not to go in this cave now.
We must hurry to find a campsite.
Attachments
Deep water cave.JPG
JB Wheeler
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Captain's Log entry...

After a relaxing shore leave at Capetown, the crew of the HMS Bessler is in fine spirits and anticipating our return to England. We have finally entered the South Atlantic Ocean and are working our way up the western coast of Africa. At this lattitude, I can not see Polaris but must rely upon the Southern Cross to determine our precise lattitude.

Already there seems to be much interesting conversation among the men over the adventure we had while Commander Wheeler was aboard our vessel. My deck officers claim that already the crew is forming small teams and each has an idea for a design for a working gravity wheel that might replicate the successful one that Admiral Bessler eventually discovered. They plan to continue their efforts to construct such a device once they arrive back at our home port at Portsmouth on the south coast of England.

Even I have been dwelling over several designs of late and wondering how they could be used to power a seagoing ship through the dreaded doldrums to each side of the equator!

The sun is setting now and a full bright moon is rising to illuminate the ocean before us. We run with full sail before a fair breeze...all is well.

I just hope that all is equally well with Commander Wheeler and the silent Mr. Mud as they continue their investigation into the mystery of Admiral Bessler's wheels...

Captain Ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Log
Commander Wheeler and Mud
It seems we are alone, hot, hungry and we have been burned by the sun.
However we have circled the isle and now see what looks like green on the shore.
We decide to port no matter what as we are growing weak at sea.
We have had no wind to sail with, so we push forward to with all our effort.
The Captain must of known we would make it, as we ponder over what to do.
Attachments
long way around isle.JPG
JB Wheeler
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Mud use the wind! We must port now.
Attachments
slight wind begins at dusk.JPG
JB Wheeler
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Log
We seek shelter in a cove. We have spotted fires along the shoreline as we attempted to port. Again we abort our port as we have no idea who has seen us or who they are. We can only hope we have gone unnoticed.
I am weak and I am nursing a large swelling on the backside of my head.
With fear of not finding food and shelter, Mud suddenly lunged into the deep water and with rope in teeth proceeded to bring us to our resting point.
His action was much unexpected and as I stood at the bow, I suddenly found myself lying on the deck.
I now know why the Captain Ken gave up one of his strongest men.
No time to write more.
Attachments
abort port.JPG
JB Wheeler
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Captain's Log Entry...

The HMS Bessler is only a forthnight's worth of travel from the South of England and both I and our reduced ship's company are in good spirits despite the absence of Commander Wheeler and Mr. Mud.

Yesterday, I invited the the ship's carpenter to take dinner with my officers and myself. During our meal, he began to describe some of the fantastic designs for gravity powered wheels that are circulating amongst the crew.

Mr. Budd, the Bosun's mate, has an idea for a wheel that will contain oddly shaped chambers filled with water. He has designed an elaborate system of one-way check valves that continuously keep the water flowing from the wheel's ascending side to its descending side during rotation. I think Mr. Flynn is also involved in the project.

Mr. Conners, a common able bodied seaman, is talking about his plans to use magnetic repulsion between two wheels that have been carefully geared together to obtain continuous rotation. His novel device will also use the torque generated by weights that simultaneously slide along the spokes of both wheels.

And then there is Eddy, our new cabin boy, who has almost completed his first sea voyage. He talks of nothing but Admiral Bessler's fabulous wheels and his theories as to how they operated. Sadly, however, we never were able to reach Admiral Bessler's Treasure Isle were we hoped to learn his carefully hidden secrets.

As for me, I am looking forward to a long rest at my home in Portmouth and to seeing my wife and children again. A sea captain's life can be a hardship on his family, but the lure of the sea is a powerful one indeed...especially when there is some great treasure at stake!

We soon will be rounding the coast of Moracco and pointing out bowsprit toward our native England...

Captain Ken

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Edit
Last edited by rlortie on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Skip over this to Kens post for continued story.

Ralph
You must have a new computer to be able to copy and past so well.
Congratulations.
That is a very cool picture.

However, I wonder, if you would consider editing it out of the story for now?
It is a little premature.
Mud and I have just landed on an island and have not yet started homeward with any secrets.

Edit 1:15 PM Ralph did take the photo out and the note attached.
Last edited by Wheeler on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB Wheeler
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Re: re: The Voyage of The HMS Bessler part 2

Post by rlortie »

edit
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Ralph

What do you think is this something you would consider?
JB Wheeler