New feature: Blogs

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: New feature: Blogs

Post by scott »

Couple of updates on the Blog feature. First of all, I added a "Weblog News" page, which shows the latest blog updates and unread entries for all the blogs on one page. This should help make it easier for members to keep an eye on what's going on in the blogs.

Also, I fixed a few bugs:

* Fixed usernames not being showed for latest post link when viewing all entries
* Fixed Contributors not being able to edit/add a new entry
* Fixed friends and blocked pages not being able to block or add users (while letting Admin be able to do so)
* Fixed "Friends Only" authentication problem
* Lastest Unread Entries now works properly now (showing an orange "latest post" icon when appropriate in weblogs.php)

Thanks a lot to those members who have used the new feature. You've been a big help in ironing out the bugs.

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: My latest and greatest...but it don't work

Post by rlortie »

Turulato,

My Blog:

Preston and one other also reported that he could not post to my blog. I spent over an hour last night going over all the instructions and rewrote my buddy and friends list.

Preston now reports that it will accept him, so try again. If you make it I will know, if you dent let me know.

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

rlortie wrote:I spent over an hour last night going over all the instructions and rewrote my buddy and friends list.
Please remember Ralph, you Contact List buddies have nothing to do with your blog. For what it's worth, I don't recommend even using the Contact List buddy feature, it provides little if any value. Basically it just alerts you when your buddies come online or go offline.

Thanks,
Scott
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Yes I understand, I transferred my forum contact list to the Blog "friends" list. Hopefully all my friends can now access my blog.

I have changed my settings to "friends only" for now. That leaves me with the question: will this act the same as disallow for those not on the friends list? Or is the disallow only active for registered user setting?

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi Ralph, if you change the access setting to "Friends only," then only members you have designated as Friends will be able to access your blog. Other registered members will not even be able to see the posts there.

One thing though, as it works now the access settings are sticky, meaning that the posts that were made previously will retain their old access settings. That means all registered users will still be able to see the posts that were made while the old setting was still in effect, just not any new ones.

This is apparently a "feature" in the system but I don't really like it. I find it counter-intuitive. As time permits I will look into changing it so that when you change access settings they will apply to all past and future posts, instead of just future posts as it is now.

-Scott
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

I think I took care of that problem by deleting all irrelevant entrys. I have given you access as a friend as well as the only contributor which is another point that I am not sure exactly pertains to.

I have presently 22 friends listed and will build from there.

My intention is not to start a clique group but to build a membership of people that have the empirical aptitude to get out of there computer chairs and show some incentive and innovation besides just talk about it.

Also I have received requests for some who say they would post more if fishers, lurkers and unregistered guests did not have access.

I also have a tendency to shy away from any who appear to go out of their way to hide there true surname. Therefore a lot of consideration came from those who currently write me with open name and location. Denis even attached a map showing me Hesse and kassel.

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi Ralph, glad to hear things are smoothing out somewhat.

Thanks for all your questions. I am currently working on a FAQ for the blog feature and your questions are helpful.

First of all, some nomenclature. "Entries" are the top level posts that show up on the main page and are archived and indexed. "Comments" are the replies made to the Entries.

Usually, Entries are only made by the blog owner. Comments may be made by whomever the blog owner allows; anyone (not recommended), registered members, Friends, or no one but the blog owner himself.

If you choose, you may also designate one or more Contributors. A Contributor may create and edit Entries, just like the blog owner can. In this sense the only real difference between a Contributor and the owner is that the Contributor cannot access the blog control panel.

Hope this helps and thanks again,
Scott

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Got another one for you!

Before cleaning up my blog I had over one page of comments. I noticed that the usual page numbers and "next" were only at the top of each topic header. One has to scroll back to the top to click on next page.

Is there anyway you can add this to the bottom like all the main forum topics?

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Nice catch Ralph. Two of the three templates that have been used so far had that problem and are now fixed.
Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Just so everyone knows there are 5 blog templates to choose from. So far only 3 have been used. :-) I also hope to add more in the future.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

I cannot see Ralph's blog anymore, so I assume that's how he wants it?

Edit:
Thanks, Ralph. I can see your Blog now.
Last edited by jim_mich on Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Jim_mich,

Try again! If no response let me know. Yes some have been blocked I am still working on "Freinds" list.

Ralph
racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by racer270 »

I cannot see Ralph's blog anymore, so I assume that's how he wants it?

me too jim
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

jim_mich and racer270 were both been added to my friends list. If you still do not see it then let me or Scott know.

Yes there are some who will not have access and that is the reason for the whole idea. For some time now I have carried on private communication with a number of members never knowing who each other are. There private postings has always been kept private. I feel it was time to offer the opportunity for these select members to be able to relate as they see fit. There are those that have expressed a desire to post things only under controlled conditions, this Blog application is perfect for just that!

Members who do not meet a set standard will not be able to access my blog and should consider it a private forum. They can always start their own if they feel slighted or ignored.

Scott,

When I click friends list I get rlortie's blog with add or remove friend of. Below this, is your blog Avatar and header topic, is this normal and is there any way to see a list of friends that have been added to ones blog?

I would think that the list should be showing where your blog header is now coming up.
Edit: I do have a list for blocked members, which is availabe but irrelevent if the setting is for "friends only"

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi Ralph,
Yes, one other feature of the Friends list page is that is shows links to comments you have posted on your friends blogs. There should also be a list of your friends there near the top. And yes, there is no need to use the Blocked list if your blog is restricted to Friends anyway.
-Scott

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

You are correct there is a list at the top, it reads "Friend of: scott

You are the only one showing up. :0)

Ralph