New Feature: Blogs (flame war)

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: New feature: Blogs

Post by scott »

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "hacked," Gene. As a computer programmer by hobby and by trade, I'm hacking code all the time. On April 1st for example I hacked a bunch of files to install the phpbb April Fools Joke mod.

So I guess the answer is yes.

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Gene, how am I doing what now?

Coylo, I see you must have hit your new little buddy's green button. Rub it in floozy, I can take it. BTW, while researching an unrelated subject I happened across an interesting set of 'emoticons' that might interest you and certain other upstanding members of your knickerbocker cliqué. I had thought to place them in the Jokes thread, but this was too convenient. The donor shall remain nameless - you know who you are!

nameless donor wrote:
"ASSICONS"

(_!_) a regular ass

(__!__) a fat ass

(!) a tight ass

(_*_) a sore ass

{_!_} a swishy ass

(_o_) an ass that's been around

(_x_) kiss my ass

(_X_) leave my ass alone

(_zzz_) a tired ass

(_E=mc2_) a smart ass

(_$_) Money coming out of his ass

(_?_) Dumb Ass
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Scott,

In the context I used it meant unauthorized access. The term 'hack' doesn't have a good conotation. I would never consider someone that could write elegant code a hacker.
1 a : to cut or sever with repeated irregular or unskillful blows b : to cut or shape by or as if by crude or ruthless strokes <hacking out new election districts>
In this sense:
to write computer programs for enjoyment b : to gain access to a computer illegally
I think the key is enjoyment. When words pick up too much meaning things become kind of vague.

If you consider this older definition for hack:
a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for commercial success
you might agree that the meaning of 'hack' is going the way of 'bad.'
It's a bad (meaning good) idea to give language so much meaning that things become meaningless. After all words are the tools of thought and if you can confuse people to the extent they don't know what you're talking about you can get away with murder. What does 'is' mean again.
Glad to know you weren't 'hacked'. That linux server was.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

LOL Hook Line and Sinker.

Of course I know exactly what "hacked" means just like you know exactly what "idiot" and "chickenshit" mean.

Thanks though, it was fun.

-Scott

P.S. Just FYI, even the best software engineers sometimes hack some code when it is appropriate.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Scott,

You must be mistaken. You can't know what hack means considering there are 2 different meanings and that's just as it relates to computers. What you must have meant is that you knew what I meant. I'll have to take your word for that.

Sometime ago I heard someone talking about the etymology for idiot and I distinctly recall them saying that (from the greek) it was someone with their own private interpretation of reality. That's a descriptive use of the word idiot, similar to the archaic meaning of a gentleman. It used to only mean someone that owned land. The meaning has expanded to such an extent I could easily refer to you as a gentleman and still make sense. Is that crazy or what?

I think the best software engineers write the code that others hack in order to figure out what they did. People with a modest amount of talent like to think they're in the same league.

Gene
Last edited by AgingYoung on Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: New feature: Blogs

Post by scott »

AgingYoung wrote:Scott,

You must be mistaken.
Of course. As always.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

I will give you this point, Scott. That was quite shrewd and clever of you to take something out of context then respond to it ignoring the whole thought. Boy was that slick. The only thing that would make it work better is if you let a few posts to happen between what I actually said and your response. People tend to forget the past.

Gene

The point was that without context you can't know what hack means. Could be a verb, noun, adj. There are numerous meanings for just the noun. If you like you can hack at this page and see what webster thinks.

hack
6 entries found for hack.
To select an entry, click on it.
hack[1,verb]hack[2,noun]hack[3,noun]hack[4,adjective]hack[5,verb]hack[6,noun]

Main Entry: 1hack
Pronunciation: 'hak
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English hakken, from Old English -haccian; akin to Old High German hacchOn to hack, Old English hOc hook
transitive senses
1 a : to cut or sever with repeated irregular or unskillful blows b : to cut or shape by or as if by crude or ruthless strokes <hacking out new election districts> c : ANNOY, VEX -- often used with off
2 : to clear or make by or as if by cutting away vegetation <hacked his way through the brush>
3 a : to manage successfully <just couldn't hack the new job> b : TOLERATE <I can't hack all this noise>
intransitive senses
1 a : to make chopping strokes or blows <hacked at the weeds>; also : to make cuts as if by chopping <hacking away at the work force> b : to play inexpert golf
2 : to cough in a short dry manner
3 : LOAF -- usually used with around
4 a : to write computer programs for enjoyment b : to gain access to a computer illegally

hack

Main Entry: 2hack
Function: noun
1 : an implement for hacking
2 : NICK, NOTCH
3 : a short dry cough
4 : a hacking stroke or blow
5 : restriction to quarters as punishment for naval officers <under hack>

hack

Main Entry: 3hack
Etymology: short for hackney
1 a (1) : a horse let out for common hire (2) : a horse used in all kinds of work b : a horse worn out in service : JADE c : a light easy saddle horse; especially : a three-gaited saddle horse d : a ride on a horse
2 a : HACKNEY b (1) : TAXICAB (2) : CABDRIVER
3 a : a person who works solely for mercenary reasons : HIRELING <party hacks> b : a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for commercial success

hack

1 a (1) : a horse let out for common hire (2) : a horse used in all kinds of work b : a horse worn out in service : JADE c : a light easy saddle horse; especially : a three-gaited saddle horse d : a ride on a horse
3 a : a person who works solely for mercenary reasons : HIRELING <party hacks> b : a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for commercial success

hack

Main Entry: 4hack
Function: adjective
1 : working for hire especially with mediocre professional standards
2 : performed by, suited to, or characteristic of a hack <hack writing>
3 : HACKNEYED, TRITE

hack

Main Entry: 5hack
intransitive senses
1 : to ride or drive at an ordinary pace or over the roads especially as distinguished from racing or hunting
2 : to operate a taxicab
transitive senses : to ride (a horse) at an ordinary pace

hack

Main Entry: 6hack
Etymology: origin unknown
slang : a guard especially at a prison

I'm hacking code all the time.
probably.
Working Model 2DImage
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

First I threw him out for cheating behind my back, then coylo (the old tart) stole him away, had his 'fix', and bolted out the back door, now Scott's getting hacked-off with all the fumbling in the dark. Who next? Some people just can't seem to maintain a stable relationship!
Last edited by ovyyus on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Just curious Gene, why all the tiny, white colored text in your posts lately? I assume you must be trying to keep a record of previous posts, just in case some arbitrary and capricious force might come along and try to ban you from the forum for no reason at all.

Am I close?
Joel Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joel Wright »

That Webster's one smart dude8>P6 entries found for hack.

Main Entry: 1hack
Pronunciation: 'hak
Etymology: Middle English hakken, from Old English -haccian; akin to Old High German hacchOn to hack, Old English hOc hook
transitive senses
1 a : to cut or sever with repeated irregular or unskillful blows b : to cut or shape by or as if by crude or ruthless strokes <hacking out new election districts> c : ANNOY, VEX -- often used with off
2 : to clear or make by or as if by cutting away vegetation <hacked his way through the brush>
3 a : to manage successfully <just couldn't hack the new job> b : TOLERATE <I can't hack all this noise>
intransitive senses
1 a : to make chopping strokes or blows <hacked at the weeds>; also : to make cuts as if by chopping <hacking away at the work force> b : to play inexpert golf
2 : to cough in a short dry manner
3 : LOAF -- usually used with around
4 a : to write computer programs for enjoyment b : to gain access to a computer illegally

hack

Main Entry: 2hack
1 : an implement for hacking
2 : NICK, NOTCH
3 : a short dry cough
4 : a hacking stroke or blow
5 : restriction to quarters as punishment for naval officers <under hack>

hack

hack

hack

Main Entry: 4hack
Function: adjective
1 : working for hire especially with mediocre professional standards
2 : performed by, suited to, or characteristic of a hack <hack writing>
3 : HACKNEYED, TRITE

hack

Main Entry: 5hack
intransitive senses
1 : to ride or drive at an ordinary pace or over the roads especially as distinguished from racing or hunting
2 : to operate a taxicab
transitive senses : to ride (a horse) at an ordinary pace

hack

Main Entry: 6hack
Etymology: origin unknown
slang : a guard especially at a prison
Work with gravity and gravity will work for you.There are more than two sides to a wheel.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Hmm... mentions "operating system"... then mentions "server"... then he said...
Gene wrote:Is that what happened to your server April 1st? Were you hacked?
Hmm... let me see if I can find the correct meaning from Joel's list...
hack1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hk)
v. hacked, hack·ing, hacks
v. tr.
To cut or chop with repeated and irregular blows: hacked down the saplings.
To break up the surface of (soil).

Informal. To alter (a computer program): hacked her text editor to read HTML.
To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without authorization: hacked the firm's personnel database.

Slang. To cut or mutilate as if by hacking: hacked millions off the budget.
Slang. To cope with successfully; manage: couldn't hack a second job.
Duh! - LOL
Last edited by ovyyus on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Thanks Joel, that certainly clears things up. I see you've taken a page out of Gene's playbook. :-)

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Scott,

No, you're not even close. Sometimes I use a font one to put someone's post within the body of my post in case they edit their post and destroy the entire context of what I was saying. That gives me the ability to edit my post and restore the context.

In this particular case I put that definition of hack in small print to avoid having the post take up so much room. It makes for better readability. Joel solved that solution.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: New feature: Blogs

Post by scott »

AgingYoung wrote:
I'm hacking code all the time.
probably.
Oh Gene, you are so close. Here is some rope. I am a useless hack, right?

P.S. Yes I am baiting you because I am sick and tired of dealing with you. I should have banned you long ago. The ball is in your court. Make amends or bye bye.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Out if curiosity, Scott. Is this about the time you review the data base and see who's given me a positive rating and send them emails asking them to take that rating away. I got an email like that from you for Robert. I wondered why you didn't just start a thread to make that point rather than doing it in such a back handed manner. As I recall you mentioned that the rating system was started so that the banning of someone didn't seem so caprcious. In Robert's case you didn't seem to be able to work within the system you created. I found that very interesting.

Gene

edit: Can you hack the rating system or is it even necessary? Very interesting way to deal with someone that disagrees with you. Robert made an excellent point.
Working Model 2DImage