Unexplained Mysteries

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

re: Unexplained Mysteries

Post by Fletcher »

If you cross a billy goat over a sheep (ewe) you get a geep .. geep meat. Absolutely true. A farm I once supervised for a corporation had a few errant billy goats who successfully ventured into new pastures. For a while we thought of using this terminal out crossing to develop a more lean goat like tasting meat for the local Indian restaurant trade.

If you cross cattle with buffalo you get a cattlelo .. cattlelo meat was once going to be the new thing in farming except the animals weren't as docile as they thought.

Now b4 I am reminded that these animals have different chromosome numbers & shouldn't be able to be bred then think of zebras & horses, horses & donkeys, resulting in mules etc. Usually they're sterile but not always so.

Sheet meat therefore must be the reverse cross of a ram over a doe & probably would have satisfied the Indian trade just as well. Otherwise it could be sheep meat that tastes like crap which is more likely.
Last edited by Fletcher on Fri May 26, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

terry5732 wrote:Are you saying this 'sheet meat' is something different from Oscar Meyer Bologna?
Yes Terry, there is a huge difference. The growth of cultured meat basically takes place inside of a test tube, not inside of a living animal. Therefore it is more humane, more effecient, cleaner, and healthier than any of our current industrial meat-producing methods.
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Fletcher wrote:If you cross cattle with buffalo you get a cattlelo .. cattlelo meat was once going to be the new thing in farming except the animals weren't as docile as they thought.
In the USA they are called beefalos. I occasionally see them on farms around here.

A few weeks ago I saw the strangest herd of cows; they were all 'belted' or 'sheeted' black cows with wide white belts. I found later that they are Belted Galloway, originally from Scottland.

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Yes, we have Belted Galloway's here also though they are more a boutique breed. The main hill country beef breeds are still Angus & Hereford & then all the imported breeds such as Limousine, Charolais, Belgium Blue's & a raft of others. Cross breeding to another breed provides about 10 % additional growth & meat thru hybrid vigour which translates directly to more revenue per hectare.

The cattlelo experiments were with water buffalo rather than bison though this has been done also.

You can probably tell I like a piece of steak or two :)
terry5732
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by terry5732 »

Are you gonna try and convince me Bologna once had sumpin to do with livestock?!
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

No!

But you cannot buy Polish Sausage, Goats milk and Head cheese in a hardware store either.

Ralph