Should we disallow anonymous posts?

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Should we disallow anonymous posting? (Please vote!)

You may select 1 option

View results

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: Should we disallow anonymous posts?

Post by scott »

Jonathan wrote:
How do you make those bullets?

There you go increasing your post count again... ;-)

Just take a look at the BBCode help. There's a link to it on the posting page (in the Options section where it says "BBCode is ON").

Here are the basics:

Unordered List:
[list]
[*]Red
[*]Blue
[*]Yellow
[/list]

Numeric Ordered List:
[list=1]
[*]Go to the shops
[*]Buy a new computer
[*]Swear at computer when it crashes
[/list]

Alphabetical Ordered List:
[list=a]
[*]The first possible answer
[*]The second possible answer
[*]The third possible answer
[/list]

-Scott

P.S. I checked "Disable BBCode in this post" so you can see the markup itself.
Last edited by scott on Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

Oh, I didn't notice that was a link!
And no, I'm not just increasing my post count, as not only does it not matter to me, but I'm already in the highest possible rank, where would I go? And how else would I know what the list buttons do? I could post and try them, but then I would be posting a post that doesn't add anything useful. In this case there could be someone else out there who didn't know what the list buttons did and now they do.
EDIT
(This EDIT is after scott's post below and in response to it so I don't increase my post count :) )
I've done the 'EDIT' thing, somewhat intermittently, for a while. And I understood that you are just kidding, but you and others keep bringing it up.
PS Sorry, I know editting in response to a post is confusing, I'll only do it this one time to be funny, I think I'm quite so.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Relax buddy... I was just joking with you. Don't you know what a wink means? ;-) , ;-) , ;-)

(I know the link is hard to see, that's why I pointed you to it... :-)

EDIT:
BTW, I appreciate how you've been using "edit" lately. Thanks!

EDIT2:
LOL
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

When I want to try learning a feature here that I'm not sure how to use, I use the 'preview' button instead of the 'submit' button. I can then see the results before deciding if that is how I want it to appear.
How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
MC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MC »

Do not disallow anonymous posts, that would be a general mistake. Because one particularly beatiful day an anonymous poster will...
...wich may not happen if dissallowed. Besides the "soap-operas" contribution in keeping this site alive is not neglectable.

Mats Christoffersson
MC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MC »

Excuse the language confusion, replace general with major.

MC
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

This is just a test to see if these ancient polls are still open for comment or not.
Mmm...Evidently they are.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
pequaide
Devotee
Devotee

Post by pequaide »

I think I am a guest, or was. Sorry if I was to rude for you.
pequaide
Devotee
Devotee

Post by pequaide »

I hope your new found isolation stimulates your intellectual capacities.

Perhaps you should have a name our club contest. How about “pleasantly polite pack�. Or “intellectually intolerant isolationists� or “bunch of big babies�

Sorry: too rude.
greendoor
Devotee
Devotee

Post by greendoor »

That's not even trying to be rude. "Pretentious Assholes" might be more accurate.

Anyhoo - I just voted "No: to this poll, and was surprised that a 67% majority still say "Yes" to disallowing anonymous posters.

Could I point out a few reasons why I believe there is no safety in requiring posters to identify themselves:

1 - on the internet, nobody should assume anyone is who they say they are. With a pseudonym or anonimity, there is no delusions to shatter. The real danger is in "real names" that are presumed to be real. They are far more likely to decieve.
2 - many people, like myself, have joined the forum using a psuedonym simply because (at the time) it seem what everyone was doing. There was no intention to mislead - just not an awareness that there was any expectation of using real names.
3 - psuedonyms are a great leveler. Who cares about status, age, race, etc - a good idea is a good idea, and a dumb idea is a dumb idea.