Suggestion ..

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

jim_mich
Addict
Addict

re: Suggestion ..

Post by jim_mich »

Downloading 247 of my thumbnail images (about 27 megabytes) kind of taxes my poor 26.4 Kbs dialup connection. Internet Explorer gives up and calls it quits at about 80 pictures. So I did a "save as" into a folder on my computer which took more than an hour (I didn't keep track). I've found this will force IE to download all the pictures. Then I can open the html file which is on my computer now and it displays all 247 of my thumbnail pictures. If I click on a picture it takes me back here to the forum site to view the original full size picture.

I don't dare open Ken's pictures.

LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

On the mechanism library, it will be user choice to download x number of thumbnails ..

Thumbnails will be a a tiny format, something like 120x120 .. about 8 to 10 kbytes each ..

You could choose for example to display 10 of them on each page ..
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: Suggestion ..

Post by scott »

jim_mich wrote:my poor 26.4 Kbs dialup connection.
Hi Jim, I'm sorry, but that sounds like a personal problem and not a problem with the website. Hope you can find a better Internet connection. 26.4 Kbs is late seventies technology.
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Scott,

It's not seventies technology that's the problem, but old phone company wires which they refuse to upgrade to fiber optics. The 26.4 Kbs is caused by 5 miles of underground copper phone line between my home and the phone company. I have no control over it. Modem signals start to degrade at about 3 miles. DSL is not available because it has the very same problem. I have a new HP dual processer computer and the modem usually gets only 26.4 Kbs. What really irks me is my wife has a new Toshiba laptop and gets 42 Kbs on the very same phone lines. (Maybe the Japanese are smarter than Americans?) I even bought a new modem that was supposed to be faster and it turned out to be even slower. I tried multi-linking using dual modems. It works but I can't get any local internet provider to let me use it. It requires them to allow two connections using a same username and password and they don't want to be bothered. Cable doesn't reach this far out from the village. Satellite dish has too much "lag time" for my daytrading software. The phone company has new fiber optic lines running parallel to my copper wires to serve the new houses being built farther out from the village but they won't hook me up.

There are still millions of people like me that live in rural areas that have slow dial-up connection speeds and no other options. So I'm stuck with what I've got. Large web pages and streaming video will always be a problem for me until the phone company decides to upgrade.

mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by mickegg »

jim_mich

Having changed modems with no success then I would assume it's software.
I would do a complete virus scan and spyware removal then I would unistall completely. Remove modem,reboot,delete all modem files
and set virus software not to load and run before power down.

Refit modem and let Windows find it, use the oem driver when prompted.

...........but I suppose you've already tried all this before.

Bit obvious this....but also check your port settings have not been set low by some malware/spyware /dialer program.

Bottom line is that if your wife gets 42k you should be able to as well.

Regards

Mick

Edit: Also try a different modem cable if you have one as I've had
problems with these myself
Mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mac »

Hey Jim,
It's not seventies technology that's the problem, but old phone company wires which they refuse to upgrade to fiber optics.
I'm in rural Oklahoma and my problem is just the opposite. I had a 44k dialup connection on the old wires, then Southwestern Bell put in fiber optics lines here and it dropped below 28k (lol, and I was so excited thinking it would go to 56k). Maybe they somehow split or share lines now, dunno.

I fought and argued for two years but it did no good, they informed me that all FCC requires is for them to provide "voice communication", which amounts to around 19.2k data transfer.

Anyway, I use a dialup string (given to me by SWB's data group) that basically makes your modem use the old v34 protocol, and raised my connect speed from 26.4k to to 28k (although sometimes it still takes a few re-dials to get 28k). Lol, I think twice this year I've actually gotten 31k.

Here it is, no idea if it will work on your modem or not but I think it's pretty generic. ;)

+MS=V34

On my 98SE system it goes in the dialup connection's properties->configure->connection->advanced->extra settings box.

Cheers, Mac
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

My computer was brand new just three months ago but was the last one on the shelf of last years model. The modem has never been any faster than it is now. I run full virus scans and use a firewall. I've used the same cable for both computer and hers is still faster.

My wife's modem uses different "beeps and chirps" when it logs on. By this I know that her modem is using a different protocol or software version than mine. In order to get a faster speed I need a modem just like hers. I've tried to find reports on modems to learn which are best but it seems no one cares about them anymore.

That second modem I bought uses even different "beeps and chirps" and takes almost 40 seconds to connect.

graham
Devotee
Devotee

Post by graham »

I don't want to brag but I think I will.
Jul 1st I got connected to DSL after being on dialup getting max speeds in the 20's & 30's.
What an amazing difference ,I can now watch all kinds of video that I was unable to see before. Google Earth and Satellite images come through in seconds . I was even able to visit my old neighberhood in England ,zoom in and find where I used to live and could clearly see the house at#26.

I just downloaded Silux to take a look at it and the download was under 10 sec for about 2 megs .
Another plus is that you don't have to tie up your phone anymore, you can be online and on the phone at the same time.

All this for 12.99 per month for the first year , then 29.99 per month thereafter.

If you are able to get broadband where you live I highly recommend it.

Graham
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Why don't you make it like wikipedia, an encylopedia based system. Names of the inventors could bring you to his drawings which key words could be cross referenced - linked - to other similar or same designs of other inventors.
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

Wahhh my thread is now a museum of OLD technology.. ;]

Really, Mac has the point, if your "birp and chirp" take too long, it's a synch problem, a configuration of your factory configuration on your modem will probably prove to be a good thing.

What I mean, windows, will tell the modem to use it's factory config, which is different for each brand.. Maybe you should try forcing it using another protocol, v42bis for example .

Mac, I give you one reputation point for being a modem expert.. ;]

In the past, I used to have a rockwell modem which is incompatible with almost everything .. It was SLOOOOOOW .. The problem was fixed by changing the init string and changing it's protocol settings.

However, I don't remember the AT command sets of modem.. It's too ... old.. ;]
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

BACK to THE TOPIC.

www.elvencloak.com will be down for the day. Backup maintenance...

It should be up tonight or tomorrow ..

The mech library should be near completion next week .. I'm still working in 1st gear, so I'm taking alllll my time .. not working fast, because I work on 3 projects at the same time ..

I am creating a new gauge for my bike (motorcycle), will have tach, gps, temp and a bunch of sensors.. All that on an lcd module and microcontroller..
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

Ok, I didn't have time to work on the site these last days, as I now have 8 projects that I am working on..

But I don't give up, I'll do my best to work on this, this winter.. anyways, it's not that urgent ..

And, the solution should be found before the end of this year no!? .. So maybe I will not have to create that mech library after all.. ;]