Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Vic Hays
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: 13 things that do not make sense

Post by Vic Hays »

"Cold fusion
"After 16 years, it's back. In fact, cold fusion never really went away. Over a 10-year period from 1989, US navy labs ran more than 200 experiments to investigate whether nuclear reactions generating more energy than they consume - supposedly only possible inside stars - can occur at room temperature. Numerous researchers have since pronounced themselves believers."

http://pesn.com/2005/06/26/9600116_Naudin_MAHG/

Naudin has a process very closely related to cold fusion. It has to do with taking hydrogen and breakiong it up into monatomic hydrogen. When it fuses back together it seems that it gives off much more energy than it takes to seperate the H2.
Vic Hays

Ambassador MFG LLC
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Hi Scott and all
I am going to do a search, but can you give a shot summery of The Pioneer anomaly?
Thanks for the list. very interesting!
JB Wheeler
it exists I think I found it.
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Hi Scott and all
It is a wonderful gift to have the internet.
I did a quick search and found this on Wikipedia

Wikipedia
Effect
Image:Question_dropshade.png
Unsolved problems in physics: What causes the apparent residual Sunward acceleration of the Pioneer spacecraft?

The effect is seen in radio Doppler and ranging data, yielding information on the velocity and distance of the spacecraft. When all known forces acting on the spacecraft are taken into consideration, a very small but unexplained force remains. It causes a constant sunward acceleration of (8.74 ± 1.33) × 10−10 m/s2 for both spacecraft.

Data from the Galileo and Ulysses spacecraft indicate a similar effect, although for various reasons (such as their relative proximity to the Sun) firm conclusions cannot be drawn from these sources. These spacecraft are all partially or fully spin-stabilised; the effect is harder to measure accurately with three-axis stabilised craft such as the Voyagers.
I had a feeling it was something I wanted to know.
Thanks again
JB Wheeler
Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Oxygon »

The "placebo effect" I think may be connected to the "observer effect" with relation to homeopathy results... maybe there is a subconscious multidemensional element at work?

I cant believe I said that last sentence, but the observer effect is difficult to explain.

"The Observer Effect" - clip

High bandwidth 5min Google Video
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: 13 things that do not make sense

Post by scott »

Wheeler wrote:I am going to do a search, but can you give a shot summery of The Pioneer anomaly?

Hi Wheeler, all of the anomalies are discussed in much more detail at the NewScientist web page I linked: http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... 524911.600
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Thanks Scott
I saw the link for a second and wanted to thank you before I go back to it and get to involved.
JB Wheeler