What to do about Ken

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: What to do about Ken

Post by scott »

Thank you Wheeler, accepted. I respect and appreciate your right to hold a different point of view.
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
Wheeler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Wheeler »

Thank you Scott
You helped me understand.
JB Wheeler
it exists I think I found it.
testuser

Post by testuser »

testing
[edit] OK the words per post limit is now set up and working. After reconsidering a little, I will set it at 150 for now and see how that goes. That's still 2100 words per week, which is less than Ralph but more than Jim posts on average. Seems more than fair, and maybe still too much. We'll see.
trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Testing word limit

Post by trevie »

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Trevie, the limits only apply to Ken. All I am doing is making him go from being the most prolific poster to the second most prolific poster here, right in between Ralph and Jim.

Is that really so unreasonable?

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Part 1:

Scott has told me several times:
Take it or leave it
I will most emphatically LEAVE IT! My devotion to promoting this Discussion Board in the past 20 months merits me far more consideration than this kind of shabby and unethical treatment.

However, because of my dedication to promoting Bessler research, I feel compelled to give it yet one more try and have a final counter offer to make. At this point, I am, at least, willing to try it and see if it is workable. If it is rejected or proves unworkable, then I will be very happy to voluntarily and permanent depart from this board and resign my membership.
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Part 2:

Basically, this final offer involves having my full posting capability immediately restored. However, I will volutarily limit myself to only making posts on two days per week...say, Wednesday and Sunday. If I violate this, then Scott can feel free to immediately ban me from the site.

This plan should reduce my weekly words posted by about 5/7ths or 72% and, thereby, give the other less productive members time to catch up with me and "level the playing field". On the other hand, it will give me the freedom to fully express myself in the posts I do make.

Well, that's it and I must now turn to Scott and, using his own words, say "Take it or leave it".

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Well Ken, as usual you make things a little complicated. But my initial reaction to your offer is that I vastly prefer the current system of 2,100 words per week or about 109,200 words per year, which would make you the second most prolific poster on the board. Under your conditions, I don't think there would actually be any change in the long term trend at all.

Unless I hear a good reason to think otherwise from the community, I am going to have to reject your offer and reiterate: Somehow I am still willing to let you be the second most prolific poster here on a trial basis. You may take that offer or leave it.

In addition, every fiber of my being is telling me at this point that I should revoke my long-standing offer to host your blog. But for some reason I am "doing the right thing" and not following that well-justified impulse.

-Scott

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

If it's a vote or opinions being sought I think you should take Ken up on his offer. Limiting a single post to only over a hundred words is hard on the poster if they really have some interesting comments to make. One or two posts a week sounds reasonable. I think maturity is in order, in otherwords, it would be obvious if there is an abuse. Ken, I'd quit the boring postings about your personal state of being, no one gives a crap. That would at least cut a lot of your verbosity down. I seriously doubt you've promoted Bessler wheel in a beneficial way. That being said, I think your a decent enough personality so don't go away mad, just drink down some humility.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Michael, Ken did not offer to make one or two posts per week. He offered to post as much as he'd like, two days per week. In those two days each week he could easily fill the forum with just as many posts and words as before.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Right Scott, I misread.

Well Ken how about only a couple of posts a week? Save up your best thoughts for those days?
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Does quoting a thread from another member for reference in a reply, count against your word allotment?

If you wish to achieve a goal of Ken being the second most prolific in word count, guess who is going to do a lot less posting? :-)

See you Later!
Ralph
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Ken, create a blog page and direct forum posts towards solving Bessler's wheel. It's win/win!

I think offering to limit your postings to just 2 days per week is a bit cheesy - and I doubt it would work for you. Just imagine something interesting popping up here during one of your 'look but don't post days' :D

You know, it's pretty obvious that you want to continue to play an active roll in the BW forum. A less serious member might have caved before now and stormed off for keeps. Good for you.

I think you have to respect the simple fact that Scott captains the ship here - perhaps I should use a different analogy :P That being the case, then you also understand that Scott might have his own ideas about how BW, including this forum, developes into the future. We all submit to this reality, even the ones who consider themselves important. Would you force us to fetch the plank and watch you, and anyone else who's keen for a dip, waffle your arse off the edge? Don't do it.
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

Ralph, somewhat off topic. I didn't understand your failed hero reference, could you elaborate?
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: What to do about Ken

Post by scott »

rlortie wrote:Does quoting a thread from another member for reference in a reply, count against your word allotment?
Yes. Effective communication depends on a judicious use of quotes just as much as it depends on using an economy of words. Ken may not realize it, but each of his last four (150 word) posts was *far* more effective than reams of his previous posts combined.
rlortie wrote:If you wish to achieve a goal of Ken being the second most prolific in word count, guess who is going to do a lot less posting? :-)
That is not a goal per se, it just seemed like a fair and reasonable starting point.

- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

- John Milton, 1667