6 stroke motor

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

6 stroke motor

Post by racer270 »

Bruce Crower , owner of crower racing products......has been working on a 6 stroke motor for the last few years........

the last two strokes of this motor capture the heat , of a conventional 4 stroke motor and convert " water" into steam power.

why did it take so long to reinvent a use for the steam , in a engine .....?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... WEEKSISSUE
Gregory
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: 6 stroke motor

Post by Gregory »

That's a good question. I think mankind has some problem with the focus button.

Combine the normal 4 stroke engine with some kind of stirling engine can be expensive. But to combine with the steam... Should be a good idea, I think.

But I'm still wondering!

Why we do not use the heat produced our engines more effectively?
For some extent it looks quite illogical for me.

Btw, Thanks for the news.
Kirk
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Kirk »

There was an experimental "diesel" that you could put your hand on the exhaust. It had a compression ratio of 50:1
The developer was a man named Bourke.
The Experimental Aircraft Association has a paper on it. The end use was aviation as it had better fuel economy than a diesel.
A function of compression ratio actually.
Not knowing is not the problem. It is the knowing of what just isn't so.

It is our responsibilities, not ourselves,that we should take seriously.
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

At some 25 years, I guess, a clever, powerfull and creative american, Lear, the same of those fine airplanes, made deep search about steam motors for cars and trucks.

After some time and a lot of money - at least as I read on newspaper - he gave-up of the idea due to a ''big trouble'' in cars opperation:

- he was not able to solve the question of the ''morning-instant-cold-start''
for the driver.

I wish he could call me to solve this ''trouble''.

He remembered that in the begining the steam cars were the first and only solution, after a time abandoned. Major question at those days was that ''steam motors are too much wild and hard to be controled'' by the driver. :)
regs. M.
Vic Hays
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Vic Hays »

There have been steam engines in cars recently. They can get slightly better mileage but are more complicated.

There are also steam hybrids. I believe Mercedes or BMW has one that uses the waste engine heat to drive the alternator and as an auxilary input into the transmission. Again this is more complicated and expensive.

While a 6 cycle engine is unique I don't see it as something very viable to solve our energy problems. Water has really bad effects in an internal combustion engine. I see electric vehicles in our near future.
Vic Hays

Ambassador MFG LLC