Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: try to appreciate...

Post by rlortie »

rasselasss wrote;
i heat my workshop for free,i installed a cone shaped,stainless steel coil of pipe(6 foot long, low down inside the smoke stack of our domestic oil burner,
I would not call your domestic oil burner "Free" unless you are fortunate enough to have your own oil well! You are however innovative enough to capture otherwise lost heat up an inefficient heating system.

I heat my home with a high efficiency natural gas forced air system, To achieve what you have done, I could block the door to my shop open and set a fan in the doorway. Unfortunately for some unknown reason this causes my furnace to run constantly, There is nothing free about it!

I have no problem heating my shop for personal comfort, But with the exceptional cold climate we have been experiencing it is to cold for working with tempered hardboard, UHMW, and FRP plastic. I have tried and the pieces simply will not bond.

Daytime highs are now reaching reasonable temperatures and "hi-ho-hi-ho" its off to the shop we go!

Ralph
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Over here heating oil is very expensive about £500 for 900 litres,i converted the burner to bio-diesel..processed used vegetable oil....costs £400 per year to heat the house and workshop......Good Luck..to add it gives off a nice smell of cooking in the still night air...
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

I burn bio-diesel in my pickup, it appears to develop more btu and power than commercial sulfur free expensive fuel. Also I get better MPG with it. Do not pay any road tax, state of Oregon says that the bookwork of keeping track and how much to charge is not worth what little revenue they would receive,

It can however be a little obstinate starting a cold winter engine. Idles rough until you get some heat built up.

My home and shop is built on a sloping lot, making for mufti-level floors. The connected shop is two story with 1,040 square feet per floor minus stair well with the lower being level with street, it makes for a two car garage plus all my metal machining. The upper portion is walk-in from the back side and is utilized as a cabinet/wood working shop with a nine foot ceiling.

I cannot legally install a wood or oil burning heat source in the lower portion, without having it mounted 18" above the floor and running triple wall pipe up through the second story plus a 6-12 pitched roof. This type chimney pipe does not come cheap!

Ralph
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

I just bought 200 gallons (757 litres) of propane on February 22nd, eleven days ago, for which I paid about us$800 (about £1336). I ran out of wood and then propane just as the propane price spiked to about double normal because of the very cold weather, causing a propane shortage in Michigan. When the weather warmed up to about 25°F I got some wood cut and hauled.

Between January 17th thru Feb 22nd, I burned about 400 gallons propane in 36 days. I was out of firewood and it was too cold outside to cut wood.

Last week I was low on wood again, so I burned propane for two days as the temperate dropped well below zero Fahrenheit. The propane gauge dropped by 5%. The tank size is 500 gallons. Five percent of 500 gallons is 25 gallons burned during those two days. At $3.99 per gallon, I figure those two days of burning propane cost me almost us$100. The propane price is going back down now. The Governor declared a state of emergency and suspended weight restrictions on the roads so that the propane trucks could haul full loads until the shortage subsides.

Right now I have about 36 hours worth of firewood left in my wood-bin, so my job today is to cut and haul firewood, through about 18 inches of snow, while breathing 23°F (-10°C) temperature air. I have four dead ash trees, each about 150 feet from the house but in different directions. So each arm-load of firewood requires me walking about 300 feet, after I drop the trees and slice them into 18 inch lengths with the chainsaw. I can only carry one big trunk piece at a time, two middle section pieces at a time, or an armload of many twig-sized pieces from the tree tops. I waste nothing, since all the twigs need to be picked up anyway before next summer's lawn-mowing. Normally, I would haul the wood using the garden cart behind the riding lawn mower or I would use the wheelbarrow. Normally it is not this cold this long.

I did a little internet searching. Heating degree days is a measurement of average temperature degrees below 65°F, thus it's a measure of heating needed during a heating season. So far, Michigan's heating degree days since the first of the year are more than 16 percent greater than normal. This is the third coldest (and snowiest) winter on record.

Here is a link to a nearby home weather station that is about 6 miles from of my house.

PS. This is what I need ... an Australian V8 chainsaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc

murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

For my other side... in the opposite... at 23º south...
My old Mac (16x16x5cm ) was riding warm, lazy and complaining...
I put four 5mm 'feet' in between over table and below the screen...
Got in my crap a 8cm old indeed fan, inclined a bit and GREAT!!!
Ready to carnaval! BD
Any intelligent comparison with 'avalanchedrive' will show that all PM turning wheels are only baby's toys!
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

GRrrrrrrr,....seriously whats happening over there Murilo just over 13 weeks to go and 5 stadiums and the terminus at S.P.not ready... a recipe for chaos ....
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Grrrrrrrrrr..... a bit me too... but there are well known stuffs and current brazilian rules in operation! A novella, some times, is not so bad!

Everything will be in order at exactly 99 days from today!

Possibly 'black blocks' and other groups will try to disturb and jam, but be sure that the Fifa's and politicians money/billions are guaranteed! (motherfuckellions of dollars)

The real great serious issue I see will be if we win... If we win, the wick president/party will complain part of credits and will get massive votes in October elections. B(((

Among other troubles, we also are not able to apply intelligent votes! B(((

Woosh... B[
Any intelligent comparison with 'avalanchedrive' will show that all PM turning wheels are only baby's toys!
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

My money's on for the semi-finals.....Brazil,Italy,Germany and Argentina....hope its all sorted in time, prestige for your country is important..Good Luck..
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

You forgot some 2 or 3 other... some 1 or 2 surprises... sure, valid for any honest competition... B)
Thanx!
Best!
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Essa foi foda...
Vamos aguardar dezembro de 2014:

http://huvrtech.com/

B)
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

This must be true:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26435809

We all would like to switch a mag and it's coming maybe in this way... B)
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

We, the guys on gravity field will be killed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZo33MQeFN4
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

If you guess you are... you're not!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bea ... lly-tough/
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Jim quotes:
I was out of firewood and it was too cold outside to cut wood.
It is never too cold to cut wood, but it can be too hot.
Five percent of 500 gallons is 25 gallons burned during those two days. At $3.99 per gallon, I figure those two days of burning propane cost me almost us$100.
Are you sure you have any insulation in your house? ;)))
What goes around, comes around.