Tips for using the new forum

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

Trev
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: Tips for using the new board

Post by Trev »

Hi Scott,
Something that has been annoying me for ages, every time I click the view all posts since last log in, I get all the new posts plus about 15 other ones going back several years! why do I get them and how can I not get them? Thanks,
Trev.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hi Trev,
Next time you are all done browsing the forums, go to the forum index page and click "Mark all topics read." You'll find the link on the right side of the member dashboard near the top of the index page. You can also reset the "read" flag for individual forums by clicking "Mark all topics read" on the right side near the top of each forum.

Hope that helps,
Scott
Last edited by scott on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Trev »

Hi Scott,
I thought that was it but when I tried it a few days ago it made no difference! I will have another go.
EDIT: It worked :)
Thanks,
Trev.
terry5732
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by terry5732 »

Why do I now (for the last two weeks or so) have to relog-in daily?
I find it rather annoying. Cookie says "expires this session.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: Tips for using the new board

Post by scott »

terry5732 wrote:Why do I now (for the last two weeks or so) have to relog-in daily?
A logged in session only lasts for one hour. This has always been the case.
terry5732 wrote:I find it rather annoying.
Oh really? Perhaps you had checked the "remember me" box when you logged in before, but are not checking it now? Checking the box logs you in automatically in the future.
terry5732 wrote:Cookie says "expires this session.
If you're having problems with cookies, I would recommend deleting your cookies and trying again.

Good luck Terry,
Scott
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Group,

THis morning while logging on I received a window stating the following;

"Your password will expire in 204 days please submit a new password".
it then had the usual boxes for password, repeat password and a third asking to confirm password. I filled the boxes with my present password and hit submit.

I immediately got a window stating "Attempted Hack" I closed this window and was lead back to my original log in page. from there I logged on with no more problem.

Regarding another matter, in previous posts SpellCheck and the use of other methods were discussed, I solved this problem by installing MS Encarta 97 which in not only an encyclopedia, but contains a very good dictionary. I leave the disk in one of my two disc drives and leave it open on the task bar at all times.
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

I have gotten that kind of password expiration prompt! But because the number of days left was strange, I was suspicious and didn't do it. I think this has happened to me twice, but by the time I finish reading posts and go to check pm's, I've forgotten and don't inform anyone.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

I had the same problems a couple of months ago. Contacted Scott who changed my password for me but still it didn't stop the expiration prompt, only 730 days to go :( The Windows "remember me" for passwords feature was not activating also so I reinstalled IE6 & the patches & no probs since.
racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by racer270 »

Fletcher wrote:I had the same problems a couple of months ago. the expiration prompt, only 730 days to go :(
me to.....? and i had it pop up last week........! Gordy
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Fletcher wrote:... so I reinstalled IE6 & the patches & no probs since.
Wow Fletcher, I'm glad it worked but that's pretty extreme!

First of all, it's normal for the system to prompt you for a new password every two years. It's a security feature.

However, it's not normal to have some of the problems mentioned here (e.g hacking attempt, etc.). If you're having these problems, just try deleting your besslerwheel.com cookies and trying again.

http://www.aboutcookies.org/deletecookies.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;278835

It's also a good idea to keep your browser up to date. I've been using Mozilla Firefox exclusively for about a year now and I highly recommend it.

-Scott
Last edited by scott on Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks Scott,

I had forgotten. I did delete the cookies on your instruction as well. So maybe that was actually what worked for me. Doh ... can somebody help me find the off button now :)
terry5732
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by terry5732 »

The only change i made when this started, was deleting cookies(which I hadn't done for many months previously). The cookie for here always comes up as "expires this session" now? Didn't used to :(
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Are you sure your browser is set to allow cookies from this website? You must allow cookies for the automatic login feature to work.
terry5732
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by terry5732 »

Hmmm, now this time it works and I didn't change anything.
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

When I logged in a few minutes ago, I got a pop up that said this:
Your password will expire in 200 days, you may change it now or later. Please make sure to change it before it actually expires. After this your password is no longer valid. If this should happen, you may request a new password using the link provided when you log in
What is strange is that I changed my password for the first time since joining this board just a few hours ago.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.