Moderator: scott

Why are there so few donations?

You may select 1 option

View results

scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

evgwheel wrote:Scott is your server connected by cable or phone line (through sub-station)?
As I've mentioned before, the site runs on my home DSL line.

I also have full time battery backup and RAID backup here, all of which I paid for. Plus I bought a special server machine a couple years ago so I can work on my own machine without affecting the server.

That is why this issue has come up. Besides my sunk costs, I only pay a $6 monthly fee for remote backup of the site and database, which I can live with.

Otherwise the site is piggy backed on services I already pay for for my own use (Qwest DSL and Viawest ISP) so I never expected to recoup those costs.

But in order to increase the upstream bandwidth, I would need pay a new monthly fee for remote hosting on a T1 or T3. That would add around $20 a month for a basic package to support this site. A dedicated server and better throughput would cost about $40 a month.

In order to do that I would need to figure out a way to get a reliable income stream from the users to cover the cost.

But the performance of the site and the experience of the average user would be much better and this is what I want for everyone in the long term.

-Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
evgwheel
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: To donate or Not to donate?

Post by evgwheel »

Scott
I think you answered the questions to every ones satisfactions.

Please ignore the following if you think it is harping on previous suggestions.
Banners (changing) on top of page could be made available to members who run a business or sell certain items. A banner on your site could cost from $ 3.00 to $ 50.00 per month or cheaper for long term (for members only and all the same size) and depending on how many members want excess to banner advertising. Banners can look good and only take up one inch of your page. You’re a computer software engineer and will be able to make up banners within 5 minutes. Some members may even post something funny without selling anything, makes their donation fun.
Rotating fun banner $5 per month
Just delete this if you feel the need, I won’t mind.
Last edited by evgwheel on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Thanks Evg, I appreciate your support.

What I don't quite understand is people like LIB who say they "are gone" if it costs $12 per year.

If the site isn't worth $12 per year to you then I would ask why are you here in the first place?

Seems to me that is a reasonable rate, especially relative to the other subscription sites out there.

On the other hand I understand Fletcher's concern that it would "diminish the gene pool." But not really, since there will still be the free areas where people can get their feet wet and decide if they want to dive in further. (Note: the free areas would be the less bandwidth intensive ones.) In fact in this regard a nominal subscription fee might actually improve the quality of the member's only sections of the site.

The fact is there is really no way for me to improve the bandwidth of the site without taking on a significantly larger monthly bill than I already have now. And we all want better site performance.

Just my $0.02.

-Scott
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Thanks Scott for the reply and being honest. In truth I do not care if you made a profit. I just wanted to know the costs so I could figure what I should owe to the site. I mean there is some labour cost too and that I use the site more then most people. You can expect a donation from me when I return from overseas. As far as entertainment value, it is cheaper then drinking ;)
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

Scott

My wife came up with a suggestion of memberships standings.

1 like a gold membership donation would be like 25.00 or 30.00 a year donation.

2 like a regular membership donation would be like 15.00 a year donation.

3 and then you limited access membership.

4 and then just visitors.

You have to consider your time and equipment replacement cost as well.

As soon as my next paycheck clears the donation will be sent.

Thanks Scott
"Our education can be the limitation to our imagination, and our dreams"

So With out a dream, there is no vision.

Old and future wheel videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/ABthehammer/videos

Alan
John Collins
Addict
Addict

Post by John Collins »

I fear that subscription based member ship will put people off, Scott. I still prefer the idea of the occasional donation once or twice a year as long as it amounts to something near to what ever subscription charge you think reasonable. Someone suggested a dollar a month as a subscription charge, which seems very reasonable to me. I'd have thought perhaps $15 to $20 a year from everyone who can afford to pay it - and you just have to trust that those who can afford it will pay it.

I have tried free advertising on my web site (Google Ad) but it's a bit of an eyesore and I am gradually removing it from my web sites, but it does generate enough money to cover costs.

JC
rmd3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rmd3 »

Scott,
You can offer subscriptions with a 30-day free trial period. Then those who have to have their fix will gladly pay.
-Randall
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: To donate or Not to donate?

Post by scott »

John Collins wrote:Someone suggested a dollar a month as a subscription charge, which seems very reasonable to me.
That was my suggestion because my goal here is not to make a profit, just to cover the cost of hosting the site on a T1 to improve performance. I could probably even do that with a price of 50 cents a month, or $6 per year. Would that be acceptable to you LIB?
John Collins wrote:I have tried free advertising on my web site (Google Ad) but it's a bit of an eyesore and I am gradually removing it from my web sites, but it does generate enough money to cover costs.
That is very interesting to know, thanks for sharing. I went ahead and signed up for an Adsense account just to have the option of giving it a try. I honestly doubt there's enough traffic here to generate $20 - $40 a month, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Scott, hello.
I voted ''my US$5 make no...'' ( 0.6% :)
But be advised that I'll agree with the terms you will decide!
It's a little hard to take dollars from here, but I'll find a way.
You are a rare gentleman and I respect to what you say.
Best regards. Murilo SP 20th/feb
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

Scott,

Maybe I was a little "harsh" using the expression "be gone" ..

It's not that it is unreasonable, it's more of, if I have to pay for each forum I visit, I'll pay much more than 1$ / month if they all decide to make members pay..

I do not want to influence your decision, it is yours..
I would however want to keep my free access, and I'd rather like to be free to donate, when I want and how much I want ..

And ... to be frank, 12$ is reasonable but I don't like the idea, but I would comply.. At least for 1 year ..
trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by trevie »

Scott, I think you are going the wrong way about it to get faster uploads, why do you host a site from your bedroom? I thought it would be better to set one off site, which if you shop around you can get very cheap hosting servers off site and backed up for the same price you are paying now for your backups.

Here is one I found on the first instants at this site. for $6.95 for 1500Gb Storage and possibly a faster connection than T1.

This will then free up your bandwidth for you own use. I bet you must be pretty pi**ed off with the upload and downloads you are getting at the moment.

Another advantage is they can look after the server updates and security issues and you can get on with creating your dream website. but I believe the amount of mainaintence can be left up to the individual.

thats my 1P worth. (Dont spend it all at once)

as Del boy might say:- 'You know it makes sense!'

http://www.hostmonster.com/
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

I was surprised too Scott to find out that you aren't using a remote server.

You need to be ready for that huge surge of hits later down the track.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

I'm surprised anyone would want to trust the integrity of this site and the years of work we've all put into it to a fly-by-night operation that charges bargain basement prices such as the one trevie linked. Yes I know there are operations like that out there but they can disappear just as quickly as they appeared and I've seen it happen.

If I do go with remote hosting it will be with Network Solutions or another large, well established company that I know and trust. One that isn't going anywhere and has an actual support department consisting of real experts.

With remote hosting, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Thanks,
Scott
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Scott you have a really great site. Something unique and I am certainly addicted.

I'll need to go to BesslerWheel Anonymous to reduce my dependency!

So I agree, don't take risks with budget companies.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Wow! a grand 18 votes out of 581 members, now that is what I call participation. To bad the popularity of a forum is by its member count. If it were not, I would suggest some major house cleaning!

Ralph