computer questions for dummy's

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Michael wrote:Well make a liar out of me. Today when I tried to get on I was getting slow screens, and a couple of times a message popped up saying Besslerwheel was currently unavailable. This is the same thing that happpened last week when Ralph got kicked off and some files were corrupted.
About 5 or 10 minutes ago I got a screen saying the data base was down or unavailable.

When I returned after a short time it was working OK again.

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

re: computer questions for dummy's

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks guys for the advice - I'll systematically try all you've suggested until I fix the 'go slow' - I thought it was most likely the anti-virus but we'll see.
path_finder
Addict
Addict

Post by path_finder »

Dear Fletcher,

I do not think your problem is coming from the anti-virus neither from the anti-rootkit.

The latest version of Firefox (3.5) do have some strange behaviour: I suspect a particular management for those cookies related specifically with Google.
Like we say in France: 'Les loups ne se mangent pas entre eux' (the wolfs don't eat themselves).
Returned back to an older version (3.0) of Firefox, I found a better response time.
This was more obvious by using the new browser 'Midori', like explained in this topic (at the time of my tests): http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3689. I suggest to you to download Modori and to make a comparison.
You can also make a test with a Linux live-CD, like explained here:http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3807.

And at least, are you blacklisted?
Check here if your IP address is listed in one of the numerous mail antispam site:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpage ... lacklisted
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

I'll look into that path - just loaded dave's videos [you tube] thru Internet Explorer - same problem so it may not be Firefox latest version.
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

Re: re: computer questions for dummy's

Post by Mark »

most likely the anti-virus
That was my first thought, too, and what I'd check first.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

The latest version of Firefox (3.5) do have some strange behaviour:
My Mozilla Firefox is version 3.6.3, is 3.5 newer or older????

Ralph
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Mark »

3.5 is older

X.Y.Z

X represents the version (program)
Y represents a major revision of the version (features)
Z represents a minor revision of the major revision (patches and fixes)

Larger number is later version or revision

3.6.3 is current
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Update : had a brain wave this morning - took my laptop to another wireless connection & hey presto full speed & downloading you tube etc no problem - bring the computer home & slow as a wet week again - remembered that I brought my boy a mac note book 2 wks ago - called the internet service provider & my 20 gig allocation is surpassed so we're on dial up speed - bugger, till next month.

Thx to everyone.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Pequaide has asked that I post pictures. For over five years I have yet to learn how to re-size pictures to get them below Scott's 100 kb limitation.

Tonight I tried his recommended http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

I hit browse and find the picture I want. I click on it and then go back to the re-sizer, I hit; upload image and all I get is a before and after picture of a giraffe!

I go to 'help and it tells me:
How to upload images
Browse for the image you want to optimize, then click upload image to load it into the web resizer.

Where do I find a button that says upload image to load in the web re sizer?

The picture ends up in the Mozilla Tools section under down loads, I still cannot get it into 'webresizer and if I did there are no instruction on how to get it from there into the add attachment box.

I use to send my pictures to Bill for resizing and he would post them, but after five years I feel I have wore out my welcome.

People complain that no pictures are ever posted of failed designs. Well help a proven computer dummy who authored this thread learn how and I will fulfill your wishes.

I do have a moderate collection that I am willing to share. My problem is; most of the them run from 342 Kb to 552 kB.

Ralph
path_finder
Addict
Addict

Post by path_finder »

Dear riortie,
the method is explained here:
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... 2914#72914
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Just download www.getpaint.net
Cut and past the image in an opened blank "paint" page.
Do "save as" and choose your format. The it will allow you to change the size.
Easy as that!
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

DrWhat,

Are you sure you do not mean 'Copy and Paste rather than cut and past.

How do you cut a picture unless you already have it in an editing application?

Ralph
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Path,

I copied your above link and printed it out in "Word"

Maybe by having along side of my key board in hard copy I can learn the procedure.

Thank YOU!

Ralph
mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by mickegg »

Hi Ralph

If you are still having problems here's a simple way to downsize pictures:

Working in the relevant picture folder, group-select the pictures required,
right mouse click and select "Send To" then "mail recipient".

Windows will ask if you wish to make the pictures smaller so they transfer more quickly.

Select yes button ( probably already set as the default)

Windows will resize the pictures and attach them to a new email.

Fill in your email address as recipient and send them to yourself.

Save the downsized versions that are attached to the incoming email in a folder of your choice.

Use these copies to post to BesslerWheel.com

...Typically will downsize 2Mb to circa 50k.

Regards

Mick
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Ralph, you really need to learn how to use a computer, including how to manipulate pictures and images. Microsoft Paint program comes standard with most computers. It can re-size pictures making them bigger or smaller.

After opening MS Paint then press the F1 key and a help window will open up explaining how to use Paint. The newer versions of Paint look different from the older versions, so trying to explain without knowing which version you have is somewhat difficult. That is why using the F1 key to get help might be better.

Sometimes when you paste small pictures the initial white background picture will be too big, so you need to pull it down smaller before pasting. You can do that using the little square grab spots at the edge or corner of the picture. This can also be used to clip or trim the picture smaller. If you need to trim the top or left side just rotate the picture 180º, trim it then rotate it 180º again.

There is so much more I could explain, but it might just confuse you, so maybe it best you read the help files. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

One shortcoming with windows paint is with JPEG pictures. The JPEG picture format has the option to vary the compression. With no compression the pictures are very large files exactly as taken with with a camera. With maximum compression JPEG files loose much of their detail and you begin to see the picture as many squares that don't quite blend together. Some picture software programs allow you to control the compression rate. But (as far as I know) Paint does not give you this option.