computer questions for dummy's

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

daxwc
Addict
Addict

re: computer questions for dummy's

Post by daxwc »

http://www.resizeyourimage.com/

it's free and painless
What goes around, comes around.
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Ralph,

you need to open paint.net first then COPY (you are correct) a picture (usually Right Click) the mouse, and then just Paste it into the blank paint.net file. Etc

D
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Daxwc,

I found your link to be suitable for Dummy's over all the other methods suggesested.
Using Paint plus compression only got me down to 435 kb. Scott's link does not give dummy instructions.

For Dummies I recommend your link, I thank you! As you can see in General Discussion I have already put it to work.

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: computer questions for dummy's

Post by scott »

rlortie wrote:For over five years I have yet to learn how to re-size pictures to get them below Scott's 100 kb limitation.
The limit has always been 256Kb Ralph, but I just increased it to 512Kb to make your life easier.
Best,
Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Thanks for the update and the more byte allowance, I always thought that the limit was 100kb as instructed in the attachment section.
Also, no matter what, if your image size is over 100Kb it is too big! It needs to be optimized for the web. There are many free tools available to do this, e.g. http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/
Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

That is only friendly advice from me, not a hard requirement. With a little effort most images can be made 100Kb or less. And having the site filled with too many images larger than that does degrade the browsing experience for everyone by bogging down the server. But the forum only rejected images over 256Kb, now 512Kb.

The full list of allowed extensions and filesize limits is here:
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/attach_rules.php?f=16

(In the "Add Attachment" section, click the link "Allowed Extensions and Sizes")
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Is there any members here using 'Unigraphics NX4 Cad drawing program?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXd1PlGu ... ature=fvwp

If there is, I would be very interested in getting to know you.

Ralph
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Erick has opened a private forum. I jumped in with both feet and made a post which I now wish to edit.

There is no 'edit button' showing up on my posts in his forum?

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

You can only edit the content of a post for 24 hours after you post it. If you need an exception to this rule feel free and ask and I will probably make the change for you, as long as it does not change the original intent of the post.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Computers, love them or hate them.

It was a rainy day here Friday May 28th, the wife was playing solitaire on my computer. She called out that there was something wrong!

I came into my office to find the PC hard drive screaming like crazy and the on off light was flashing at a consistent rate. As I explain my plight you will note that it is standard procedure to put a hyphen between on and off. I cannot do this, when I hit the hyphen key it brings up my volume control and total crashes the system.

It just did it again, so even with a new computer I am still stuck in the same rut. I have between trips to the computer shop managed to download 3,141 messages containing over 1.41 Gig.

If I owe anyone a response, (which I do) please bear with me. I am using a brand new mother board, possessor, , key board and hard drive. Pressing the hyphen key is still controlling my audio driver.

Until the cause of this unusual glitch can be isolated I fear my time here on the forum will be spotty. I will not be writing any posts with attachments as my problem may be something that could be passed on.

If there is any computer 'geeks' reading this, can you help me and a professional computer repair man solve this problem?

Ralph
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

To whom it may concern, I am disconnecting my computer and returning it to the shop.

I will be offline until my problems are solved. You can still e mail me and it will be stored in my IP folder.

Ralph
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Polaroid TLX-01911C LCD TV-Monitor.

Any one know how to remove the back off this thing? There are two screws left and right bottom only. Removing the two screws does not release the back, it must slide either up or down to release plastic tabs. I cannot get it to budge in either direction.

Any and all assistance appreciated.

Ralph
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

it likely has plastic clips that go all the way around the outside of the housing, just gently pry it with a flat head until you see whats holding it, just be careful not to break the plastic, you can break a couple clips with uot a big problem, just be careful

LOL
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

quote from: http://www.fixya.com/ThreadAsker.aspx?thid=6064758

Billdozer100

* Rating: 79.98%, 49 votes

it likely has plastic clips that go all the way around the outside of the housing, just gently pry it with a flat head until you see whats holding it, just be careful not to break the plastic, you can break a couple clips with uot a big problem, just be careful
You know what? I cannot pry it out far enough to see whats holding it! But thanks for the pun!

Ralph
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

The PC dummy who wishes to keep this thread active is in trouble again!

This time it is keyboard problems;

I have a vintage Hewlett Packard SK-2501k Key board. I have used it for years as I find it very ergonomically friendly and it has buttons for doing everything but wash clothes. I have not been able to find a replacement that comes close to its quality and configuration.

Now my problem; For some unknown reason, pressing each letter key produces a three letter code or series. Pressing the letter 'a' types ql'z, 's' key types xw2, 'd' types cte3, etc... Hitting the delete key brings forth the numbers 47, the space bar and backspace keys are dead. The number keys are also printing three and four letters. The 'enter key is good for adding the number 69

Does anyone out there have any idea of what is causing this problem, suggestions are most welcome. I really do not like the idea of having to trash this keyboard, I have tried three newer models and I am not happy with them.

Ralph