Question

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

Unbalanced
Aficionado
Aficionado

Question

Post by Unbalanced »

Just a question

What is the present criteria for being allowed to post to and read the threads under the Community Buzz Heading?

Is this the same as the General Discussion area or must a new member contribute for some time in order to have access to the Community Buzz Forum?
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Only forum member can view and post in Community Buzz. It is private from the general public.

AFAIK, any forum member may post in Community Buzz as soon as they become a member.

Anyone, including non-members, can view the public forums.

At one time any guest could post in the public forum, but there was way too much spam postings, so currently all postings require membership.

But even now, Scott watches for obvious spammers and removes their trash and revokes their posting privileges as needed. There have been times when Scott shut down the forum when it was under attack.

Unbalanced
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: Question

Post by Unbalanced »

Thanks for the clarification Jim. My question was in response to a comment on the Working Gravity Wheel thread in which the point was raised that a brand new member, freearfra was able to post to the Community Buzz forum as a first-time contributor.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Grimer made the comment.
Grimer wrote:How come that frearfra can make his very first post on this forum which is supposed to be reserved for members who have made some specified number of posts?
I don't know where he got such an idea.

path_finder
Addict
Addict

re: Question

Post by path_finder »

Scott has suppressed the display of the posters IP value for some reasons (I regret that, it was accessible earlier).
But he knows who is behind any IP and he knows the different avatars of the same person.
Remember also in the past some troll have used a NAT substitution for introduce the confusion by posting in the name of other members.

edit: IP NAT procedure here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_ad ... ranslation
Internet troll:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

jim_mich wrote:Grimer made the comment.
Grimer wrote:How come that frearfra can make his very first post on this forum which is supposed to be reserved for members who have made some specified number of posts?
I don't know where he got such an idea.

You've got me worried, Jim.

Since you are such a long time member and should be familiar with such a rule, so I'm probably getting mixed up with the posting requirement to become an Enthusiast which is 25 posts I believe.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Grimer wrote:You've got me worried, Jim.

Since you are such a long time member and should be familiar with such a rule,
If there were such a rule, I'd probably be familiar with it. Since I was NOT familiar with such a rule suggested one of two things. The obvious was that there was no such rule, or I was just ignorant of such a rule. Just to be sure, before sticking my neck out, I went back and searched for such a rule, and found nothing.

Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Yep. I couldn't find anything after it was queried either.

I'm afraid I misled both my builder and Nic on this point. Still, they quickly posted the supposed 25 contributions anyway so they weren't really held back.