What do you do? I feel the pain (actually based on science)

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

If you see a posted error, what would you do? I would...

You may select 1 option

View results

Gwheel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do you do? I feel the pain (actually based on science)

Post by Gwheel »

Your flaws are my pain
April 13, 2011

Today, there is increasing exposure of individuals to a public audience. Television shows and the internet provide platforms for this and, at times, allow observing others' flaws and norm transgressions. Regardless of whether the person observed realizes their flaw or not, observers in the audience experience vicarious embarrassment.

source: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-flaws-pain.html

On BesslerWheel.com, an obvious example would be a post containing faulty critical thinking, which is occasionally manifested in the posting of an invalid physics example. I feel the pain. What to do? How do I resolve this within my own ethics framework? I would like to help if I can and I obviously want to see a high level of accuracy in respect to physics examples. After all, we are not physicists, we are still learning. Maybe, to point out a poster's error publicly, will embarrass, will discourage, and will actually reduce posting. That would not be good. Another consideration, I suspect, is the Reputation system. If I post, pointing out a poster's error, will that affect my reputation? Have I been too anal, too critical, or am I just an asshole? If I am a new member on the forum and don't have a high level of physics knowledge, and point out an error made by a respected member, am I more likely to get my red dot (is this a redie? ...lol) punched? I feel the pain.

If you see an error, do you post a correction or do you just let it ride? What would you do?
Currently enrolled at Autodidacticism U.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

re: What do you do? I feel the pain (actually based on scien

Post by Fletcher »

Ego's should be set aside here & judgement should be used.

This is an opportunity for self learning, accelerated by the knowledge & experience gained by others willing to share & take a risk posting their analysis etc.

Given that we are all human, & therefore prone to the occasional omission or mistake, then we should not expect perfection in logic or proof at all times - you're not submitting for peer review after_all or a PhD.

Politely point out the possible error & post an example to back up your position - that way both you & he have an opportunity to discuss your positions & maintain respect - consensus will determine whose is the most accurate & logical argument.

Time constraints or intrenched opinions means that sometimes it is easier to post a corrected example that is usually self evident & avoid protracted argument.

Sometimes saying nothing facilitates the discussion flow by not side tracking the main issue, providing the error or omission is not a 'show stopper'.

IOW's CONTEXT is important here !
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: What do you do? I feel the pain (actually based on scien

Post by rlortie »

Fletcher has a way with words that I cannot match or ever hope to surpass.

Best not worry about the red and green dots; if you find error or wish to refute an input, that is what it is all about! Point out the errors and offer suggestions to improve upon the idea.

Ralph
nicbordeaux
Addict
Addict

Post by nicbordeaux »

The main reason for posting an idea here is seeking peer approval. And validation. Obviously, finding the enigmatic solution and getting some back patting would be nice. But it would probably be more profitable to just sell the idea to some oil producers ;)

If I see an error, it's mine. If it is another person's and contradict an observation I have made and which can be considered reliable, best to let it run it's course.
to.late
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: What do you do? I feel the pain (actually based on scien

Post by to.late »

GWheel,
A response can vary. I have found solid scientific basis is quite often ignored. It seems what a person is comfortable with is what they are familiar with.
And ego's are very prominent. I could cite my own disregarded by many for not forsaking engineering or science for the benefit of my own popularity. But it is an example of the difference between what people say and do.
Bessler I doubt got lucky and built something that worked because of sudden inspiration as some wish it to be believed despite his writings to the contrary.
Want a dose of reality ? Check out Grimers thread. They want him to build even though he is well respected. What happened to all the builders who can get'er done ? They've all but disappeared behind words.
And this is the reality. It is easy to post anything, it is quite different to be a man of your words.
And yet with Grimer, he has made no claims as to what he can do as a builder. At least there is one man in this forum.