Scissors Simplified

a. the intentional perversion of truth; b. an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

Moderator: scott

path_finder
Addict
Addict

re: Scissors Simplified

Post by path_finder »

eccentrically1 wrote:What is retracting the scissors?
See here an example of scissor actuated by the centrifugal force, the Watt regulator:
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... 3392#53392
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

Of course, pathfinder. The scissors in the Watt governor are actuated by centrifugal force provided by the steam engine. If the scissors in your design are connected to a steam engine then you'll get cf.
path_finder
Addict
Addict

Post by path_finder »

Dear eccentrically1,
I'm afraid your description is not in the right order:
first a steam engine is generating some energy
second the Watt governor axle is connected anywhere to the main shaft of the steam engine, rotating at the same speed.
Third this rotation induces on the two masses of the Watt governor a centrifugal force, which tries to increase the distance between the masses and the governor axis.
Then the scissor increases the torque at the top of the governor and modify the command of the main engine admission, reducing its power.

I hope it was exactly what you meant.
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

Right. The sequence begins with a steam engine generating the energy. If James, or 8. attaches his scissor mechanism to a steam engine then it will open and retract the scissors like the steam engine spins the two flyballs in the Watt governor.
The steam engine used coal for fuel. All sources of energy use some type of fuel. That's the principle behind the Watt governor; burning coal.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

eccentrically1 wrote:Right. The sequence begins with a steam engine generating the energy. If James, or 8. attaches his scissor mechanism to a steam engine then it will open and retract the scissors like the steam engine spins the two flyballs in the Watt governor.
The steam engine used coal for fuel. All sources of energy use some type of fuel. That's the principle behind the Watt governor; burning coal.
Quite right. And the Besseler "wind mill" uses the Newtonian Gravity Wind that blow steadily downwards for fuel.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Frank, a real engine capable of doing real work requires application of a real energy source. Can you think of a real exception?
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Bill, you seem to be implying that Newtonian Gravity is not a real energy source.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Frank, the implications seem obvious. You didn't answer my question :)
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Bill, the Newtonian Gravity wind is a real energy source just as terrestrial wind is a real energy source. Before the invention of the windmill men didn't know how to harness this real energy source. We are at that stage with the gravity wind. After someone invents the gravity windmill people will say how obvious. Bessler realised that which is why he was so paranoid.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

It seems many people like to compare gravity to wind. There is a very big and very significant difference. Wind is moving air. It has mass and it has momentum. It is the momentum of the moving mass of air that gives wind the ability to turn a wind mill. Gravity does not have any mass and thus does not have any momentum. With gravity you must supply the mass and only then is gravity able to supply movement. But the problem is that once the mass has moved then you must also supply energy to reset the mass back to a higher location again. Gravity is constant on this Earth. It supplies a constant downward force that can be used only once. Then you must supply the same force over the same distance to reset the mass.

If gravity had mass and momentum then it could be compared to wind. But gravity does not have any mass or momentum. So it is an unequal comparison.

ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Frank, you can't seem to answer my question so the point appears made.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

You may not like the answer, Bill, but I did answer your question.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

jim_mich wrote:It seems many people like to compare gravity to wind. There is a very big and very significant difference. Wind is moving air. It has mass and it has momentum. It is the momentum of the moving mass of air that gives wind the ability to turn a wind mill. Gravity does not have any mass and thus does not have any momentum. With gravity you must supply the mass and only then is gravity able to supply movement. But the problem is that once the mass has moved then you must also supply energy to reset the mass back to a higher location again. Gravity is constant on this Earth. It supplies a constant downward force that can be used only once. Then you must supply the same force over the same distance to reset the mass.

If gravity had mass and momentum then it could be compared to wind. But gravity does not have any mass or momentum. So it is an unequal comparison.

Wind has mass and velocity. The more velocity it has the less mass it needs for a given momentum.

Gravitational wind is the boundary case where the velocity is immeasurably great and the mass is vanishingly small.

With ordinary wind you also have to supply the mass in the form of the windmill sails for the wind to act on.

................mV = Mv

On the left-hand-side we have small particle mass and large velocity.
That is the atmospheric/gravity wind side.

On the right-hand-side we have large mass and relatively small velocity.
That is the wind/Bessler wind side.
Last edited by Grimer on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Grimer:
Gravitational wind is the boundary case where the velocity is immeasurably great and the mass is vanishingly small.
So then the earth is growing? It seems a poor boundary case as
it seems this gravitational mass wind is only going one direction and that’s inwards.
Maybe gravity has no mass; seems more likely that is what the mass’s job is.

You’re never going to weasel yourself out of this one Grimer, but hell I know jack shit about gravity, till I drop a hammer on my toe 8)))

First time I have heard this explanation for gravity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Babitv ... re=related
Always knew I was just a by-product of something.
What goes around, comes around.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

daxwc wrote:So then the earth is growing?
Certainly.

By the accumulation of meteorites for one thing.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?