Psychology of fraud

a. the intentional perversion of truth; b. an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

Moderator: scott

eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Psychology of fraud

Post by eccentrically1 »

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/01/151764534 ... bad-things

If anyone is interested.
I'm not judging, just an FYI.
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

No comments?

The thrust of the research can be summarized from these few sentences in the article:

" ...people can be genuinely unaware that they're making a profoundly unethical decision.

It's not that they're evil — it's that they don't see.

And if we want to attack fraud, we have to understand that a lot of fraud is unintentional. "

and:

"We know from a lot of research that when we feel empathy towards others, we want to help them out," says Gino.
Gino and Pierce argue that Toby's staff was faced with the same kind of decision: future abstract consequences, or help out the very real person in front of them."

If Bessler was committing fraud, he could have been genuinely unaware. If the Count felt empathy towards Bessler after seeing the interior of his wheel, he could have been faced with the same dilemma.

It's uncomfortable to talk about fraud, but it's there.
murilo
Addict
Addict

re: Psychology of fraud

Post by murilo »

eccentrically,
rarely I come to 'fraud'...

I like to your sent matter and below I repeat a link also sent today at 'off topic'.

This has to see with the theme:

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/arte ... 4838,0.htm

At few day someone in forum told about his IQ!

Depending the 'quality' of an IQ, the higher may be much worst to people around the owner.

Today much value must be done to what is called 'emotional intelligence', where the necessary skill to evaluate other people feelings is the important!

Comments?
Thanx!
Best!
Murilo
christo4_99
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by christo4_99 »

According to my understanding of P.M. based on the ideas that I've presented recently and Bessler's allusion to the effects of the elemental influences being universally felt "wherever" they might happen to be I conclude that it's not only possible that he actually achieved P.M. but probable . The application of the weights were key to this , not in a sense of overbalancing but being able to control the force of the weights like a switch ...that is,Empty and light , Heavy and full ... and the reversing of these properties .
It's a funny thing that Bessler challenged his adversaries to build a wheel like his , turning both ways and raising a load and then comparing it to his . He said that it would become clear that his device contained no turnspit . He said he found something better . I think as long as no one succeeds in making wheel like his this argument and all it's implications will be open indefinitely . I think when we get frustrated in our own efforts to solve the problem this is the direction we run in . We just have to admit to ourselves from time to time that we are ignorant and keep our humility . Bessler made a very good case for the possibility... whether his motives were to show that the device was not marketable or worthy of reward is left to speculation .
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

Murilo,
I have relatives on my wife's side of our family with autism, and some friends with autistic children. It's a difficult condition for families to cope with for sure.
Do you think Bessler might have had a form of autism? He could have had Asperger's. I read that one of my childhood heroes, Bobby Fischer, the chess grandmaster, likely had Asperger's. The symptoms are there; paranoia, isolation, narcissism.

Chris,

I've never thought Bessler had wheels that turned themselves; or other things. The "elemental influences" just don't allow it.
Lead weights aren't convertible to energy, or capable of providing torque in a wheel.
An unstable element, yes, but that's not an option.

The case he made, to me, was a remarkable illusion. There are just enough of the right details missing from the record,oddly enough, that the "mystery" lives on.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Eccentrically1,

I heard that radio program the day it aired and thought they made some rather interesting points.

I had actually typed up a reply to this thread before now, even, stating that, but I decided not to post it.

...for it also included (and rather coincidentally it seems) some of my own anecdotal experiences working in a group home for kids with autism.

I was forced out of that job for not being a "team player" when they wanted me to just hush up about some concerns I took to management and then later to my fellow staff (the team) and then later even to the state regarding a fellow staff member and a little bit of unauthorized physical restraint I witnessed on one of the clients - along with some possible subsequent bruising - amongst some other things.

We all make our mistakes, I suppose, but when people start making excuses and covering up for one another rather than just addressing the real issues and getting back on the right track, things can really get out of hand, it seems.

I had a choice to make and decided I couldn't just ignore something like that, and so it cost me my job.

I probably would have pursued the matter even further, had I not had some health problems not long after leaving there.

..arrgghh... It's still frustrating to think about.

Of course, when "direct care workers" are told they shouldn't really care about the clients, I guess you know you live in a sad world.

..uh..

Take care,

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

Furcurequs,

I don't know what radio program you're referring to. One about autism I suppose.

Everyone does make mistakes; I salute you for doing the right thing in your situation at the group home. It sounds like you had a case against them for firing you; I'm sorry about your health problems. You're better off not being in that unethical environment, I'd say.

Empathy is an ability with many different definitions. They cover a broad spectrum, ranging from caring for other people and having a desire to help them, to experiencing emotions that match another person's emotions, to knowing what the other person is thinking or feeling, to blurring the line between self and other. (from wikipedia)

edit

Oh, the NPR radio program about the link.. I understand what you mean, sorry.
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

eccentrically1 wrote:Murilo,
I have relatives on my wife's side of our family with autism, and some friends with autistic children. It's a difficult condition for families to cope with for sure.
Do you think Bessler might have had a form of autism? He could have had Asperger's. I read that one of my childhood heroes, Bobby Fischer, the chess grandmaster, likely had Asperger's. The symptoms are there; paranoia, isolation, narcissism.

Chris,

I've never thought Bessler had wheels that turned themselves; or other things. The "elemental influences" just don't allow it.
Lead weights aren't convertible to energy, or capable of providing torque in a wheel.
An unstable element, yes, but that's not an option.

The case he made, to me, was a remarkable illusion. There are just enough of the right details missing from the record,oddly enough, that the "mystery" lives on.
eccen,
I'm very sorry for the cases you related near by family.

In my opinion - and I'm deeply convinced - much worst are those NOT so obviously hard cases...

You see? People that is among the crowd, very 'operational' and 'normal', but they really have hard evaluation of sufferings, emotions and needs of OTHERS around.

These people generally are the politicians, traffickers, mafiosi, medical doctors, etc, etc... that work to make novellas very long and complex!

In my country there are those politicians that stole zillions of health, education and security and they don't care about the thousands that will die and suffer!

These freeze guys are very near to you and me right now, you see? They just can't be involved in the general mix of life.

Take care!
M
Rafael Ti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rafael Ti »

Dear Murilo
How is your Avalanche chain? Have you seen the equitation done by kanshimura on PES?
I think he's quite right with the math eccept of one thing... the mass of chain on 'starched side' is closer to the centre than the opposite mass. That may cause the movement. But efficiency won't be great..
Some ppl on PES state that 300 kg system can deliver only 1,5 kW
Regards
simplicity is a key ...
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Dear Rafael,
no I didn't see any calculations for avalanchedrive from Kanshimura on PES!

BTW, I even don't know PES and Kanshimura.

Would you be so kind to send me a link, PLEASE?

Some not so much positive appreciations forget a mechanic point that is the variation to higher relations between wheel's radius and chain width...

... what means, question to chose better momentum composition for the design.

Anyhow, 1,5kW for 300 kg - if in total set - is not exactly bad... 8)

(I'll be back tomorrow)

Thanx and be welcome to BW forum.
Best!
Murilo
Rafael Ti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rafael Ti »

Hi Murilo
Link here;
http://pesn.com/2012/01/05/9602001_Free ... _Launched/

I agree... 1,5 kW taken continuously from 300 kilos of iron is not so bad :) :)
simplicity is a key ...
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Rafael,
thanx so much!

Now yes... Sterling Allan site. I forgot this discussion!

I couldn't see the conclusion about 300kg = 1.500W and later I'll take a closer look at it. ( yet to see the momentum question.)

300kg is equivalent to 48 liters of iron, or 0,048 cubic meters! 8)

Best!
Murilo
murilo
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Psychology of fraud

Post by murilo »

Rafael Ti wrote:Hi Murilo
Link here;
http://pesn.com/2012/01/05/9602001_Free ... _Launched/

I agree... 1,5 kW taken continuously from 300 kilos of iron is not so bad :) :)
Rafa,
hi!
I looked at above matter and Kashimura didn't say clearly about any generation.

He, so as me, recognize that besides simple, avalanchedrive is a hard to build device.

He sent some calculations and a lot of words, but his numbers don't appreciate favorable relations between radius and 'y' of the chain, SO AS he didn't say anything about 'g' acceleration.

For sure, both sides deal to same power and THIS IS WHY the turns are NOT going to be let FREE, but hold!

I'll try contact to him and let's see his disposition.

Best!
Murilo
agor95
Addict
Addict

Psychology of fraud

Post by agor95 »

Just do this post to clear the from page of the free advertising.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
agor95
Addict
Addict

Re: Psychology of fraud

Post by agor95 »

agor95 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:19 am Just do this post to clear the from page of the free advertising.
again
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed