Posting Practice

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

murilo
Addict
Addict

re: Posting Practice

Post by murilo »

Let's observe...
Hope it's network.
Thanx!
M
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Murilo,

I or no one else has complained about this forum running slow or having problems.

Suggest you try dumping your temporary files and cookies. Check your hard drive for possible need of fragmentation clean up.

Ralph
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

During the last week or so, certain internet pages (not Besslerwheel.com) have caused my internet to go off-line. I use a Verizon hotspot-cell-phone-WiFi (what do you call that gizmo), and these certain specific websites cause the hotspot device to reboot repeatedly about every 30 seconds. If by chance the specific webpage does eventually get loaded, then it loads OK the next time, probably because most of the webpage is pulled from my computer's memory. Or the MIB have decided it is not bad. If I close the offending webpage then the hotspot device reboots a couple more times then stays on-line. This is somewhat frustrating. I figure the MIB have been laid off because of the US government shutdown. So the MIB monitoring is not being monitored causing disruption of websites containing certain controversial topics.

Or maybe its just something new and unique about these certain webpages that causes the rebooting.

murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Thanx boys!
Not sure, but I guess that my MAC doesn't ask for fragmentation cleaning.
TC!
M
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Jim,

Not sure about what"Verizon hotspot-cell-phone-WiFi" is!

Having my house already wired with CAT 5 wire, I recently made some changes. I purchased a Verizon wireless phone (looks like a modem) with in and out J-11 phone jacks. I removed the cover from my land line telephone service box and removed the phone line replacing it with one pair (orange and white) which connects to my internet modem.

The originally blue-white paired leads were then looped and back fed from the Verizon wireless modem. It in turn activates three Vtech wireless phones plus a master and satellite of another brand and five hard wired phones covering all bedrooms,kitchen living, room and both my machine and carpenter shop.

I then called my provider (CenturyLink) and had them disconnect my phone, giving my number to Verizon and subscribed for "Stand alone Broadband". I am getting 54 mbps which is running two computers and two "Roku" set top boxes at the same time.

The Verizon phone service is $19.95 + tax and the "Stand alone Broad band is $40.00 + tax per month.

Next reduction in costs was the "Direct TV" dish. I cancelled my subscription and re-routed the RU-6 cable to my old analog attic antenna via an antenna amplifier, feeding another analog 6 outlet amplifier splitter. I am getting sixteen "over the air" channels in HD with DTS and Dolby digital audio, picking up signals from broadcast stations or booster relay stations meant to feed cable companies.

As for your PC problems, if you have perchance upgraded your "Java deployment toolkit plugin" you need to click on Tools, options,"Add-ons Manager and deactivate it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p428

Ralph
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Hi Ralph,

My "Verizon hotspot-cell-phone-WiFi" is what Verizon calls a "Jetpak" internet hotspot. It is a cellphone that acts only as a internet modem, and then sends out WiFi signals to my computers. Just before calling Verizon, I checked two websites which I knew were causing problems with the Jetpak. And the problem still existed. I then called Verizon and after finally getting a knowledgeable technician, she suggested I do a full system reset on the Jetpak, which I did. After that, the problem disappeared.

For the next ten minutes or so I had problems keeping the Wi-Fi connected, but I've had that type of problem before when first connecting. Given a little time, it usually settles down to a steady connection for many hours at a time.

murilo
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Posting Practice

Post by murilo »

murilo wrote:Thanx boys!
Not sure, but I guess that my MAC doesn't ask for fragmentation cleaning.
TC!
M
Confirmed, my PC doesn't need de-fragmentation.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Jim,

Ok! I now know what you refer to as a "JetPak".

I lady friend of my niece come to pay a visit, she plugged her "Verizon" internet modem into a charger on our kitchen counter and sat at the table with her laptop.

I turned on the TV in the living room using the wireless "Roku" set top box and her signal was stronger than my modem which is located upstairs in my "Man cave"....

I too, have to reset once in a while, I pull the power plug for half minute and reboot.

Murilo,

Has your problem cleared up, or are you still having problems?

Ralph
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

Ralph,
thanx for asking!
As I see, since yesterday evening, it's great again!
Best!
M
zoelra
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by zoelra »

I created this topic some time ago when I was first learning to add attachments to posts. I wanted to know how to insert multiple images within the post seperted by text. Furcurequs provided instructions on how to do this as you can see in the post below.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... 537#115537

I know that if the files are already uploaded to http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/files/, you can simply insert the images using the Image tags, and the attachments are not repeated at the end of the post. An example of this is shown in the post below.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... 510#115510

So my question is, when I create a new post with new attachments, is there a way to show only the inserted images and not repeat the attachments at the end of the post? If not, is there a way to upload the images to www.besslerwheel.com/forum/files before hand so I can then link to them within the new post? I think this creates a cleaner look to the post.

Thanks in advance.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Trying something:
* I create a post, and attach an image.
* I hit preview (to upload)
* I click the attachment.
Now I can insert the image in img tags.
<there should be an image between this line...>
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/files/testupload.jpg
<...and this line>
* I preview again to see if it worked. <ok>
* Now I delete the attachement.

If there's an image, any upload via preview will be stored;
When there's no image, this trick doesn't work.

If this doesn't work, one could always start a new topic like: "Zoelra's gallery'; and link from there.

Add.1: Seems to work just fine :-)
Add.2: Seems not to work when editing the post :-(

Let's do it again via edit...
* Add attachement
* Preview to check (and to reupload)
- The file should be the same, so it should re-appear
- Check! there it is again'
* delete attachment
* preview again: doh!! gone!

* Add attachement
* Preview to check (and to reupload)
* delete attachment
* submit (and hope it works)
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Nope.. can't edit the post!!!

So I retry:

* I create a post, and attach an image.
* I hit preview (to upload)
* I click the attachment.
Now I can insert the image in img tags.
<there should be an image between this line...>
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/files/testupload.jpg
<...and this line>
* I preview again to see if it worked. <ok>
* Now I delete the attachement.

Marchello E

Nope doesn't work !!! You probably need a post to keep it stored...
Attachments
TestUpload.jpg
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
zoelra
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by zoelra »

Thanks ME, I tried the attachment deletion as well and got the same result.

I like the suggestion about creating a new topic and placing my attachments there, but I'm not sure what the site moderators would think about this practice. I don't think it increases the space on the site, but where would I place the topic. There really isn't a forum/section for this type of post. Too bad there isn't a way to un-expand the attachments to get a cleaner look.

Maybe another long time member will have found a solution or can weigh in on the idea of creating a post for attachments.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Grimer seems to put his stuff on his own website, and link from there.

And I guess this site would benefit from a good moderator on other topics where things can get nasty, personal, and off-topic.
So I guess that a special gallery topic is the least problematic... at least on can make comments about the image (backgrounds, type of camera, extra annotations), while not derailing your own topic.
mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by mickegg »

Hi zoelra
..and ME

If you were to start a private forum and upload images to there I assume they would be uploaded to the BesslerWheel image database.
If the images (and/or forum?) are tagged for public viewing (just guessing here) would they then be available for viewing via their url link from other threads and forums?
If so would this method fit with your objective?

I haven't tried this...it is a pure speculative suggestion

Regards

Mick