Request to Scott / System Administrator

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Request to Scott / System Administrator

Post by Fletcher »

Scott .. I'd be very appreciative if you could install a button [such as 'Mark as Read'] when forum searches pull up the topics which have unread replies that show the Yellow page on the left [you click it to read the unread posts you haven't seen].

There are some topics where I don't wish to read any new posts from posters but currently I have to open the topic to get it off the prompt list, unless there is a quicker way ? - part of the reason is simple housekeeping because I'm often on very slow dial-up which can take an age to cycle thru for me.

Also could you add a 'topic started date' as I'd find that useful also.

Thanks if you can oblige.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Fletcher, there is a "Mark all forums read" button on the main index page.

Save this link as a favorite on your browser: http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/searc ... d=newposts
Save this link as a favorite on your browser: http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/index.php?mark=forums
After reading the posts using the first link that interest you, then use the second link to mark all as read.

Hope that helps. I used to have slow internet. It sucks. I now have high speed 4G internet using a cell phone that send WiFi to my computer.

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

re: Request to Scott / System Administrator

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks jim_mich - I actually already use that feature but when you have a big list to get thru it would be handy as I look at the topic headers in all forums.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Sometimes I wonder if a thumbs up or down counter on every post might help people see whether people agree or disagree with your post. There are lots of reasons why it would be helpful; does anybody see any bad?
What goes around, comes around.
mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by mickegg »

Hi Scott

Having recently put a few posters on my "Ignore List"; I wonder if it might be possible to modify the resulting action of such, so that the thread would still display the "Author" but with "Message" contents removed and perhaps the words "On Ignored List" subtituted?

By removing the post completely (as is done now) I find it difficult to follow the continuity. If more than one of the posters in a thread are "ignored",it often looks like the remaining posters have "lost it" and are talking to themselves!

It also appears to mess up the "unread posts" feature if an ignored poster has made the last post in the thread at the time of reading.

Perhaps it may also correct this?

Anyone else find the same ?

Regards
Mick
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Mick,

I use to put selected members on the "ignore" list. I too found it difficult to follow the continuity.

I no longer use the "Ignore" option, I just do not read them and click on the "Mark all posts as read" after reading the ones that interest me. Thus I do not loose continuity in a thread.

If any changing of the system was done, I would rather see the Ignore option tied into the "Rep" bar. After a member shows up with a certain number of ignores to his profile, he is automatically banned.

Of course I would expect that I would be one of the first to go!

Ralph
mickegg
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by mickegg »

Hi Ralph

I normally do as you,ve described...but even that seems difficult with a few at the moment!

I wouldn't be in favour of any automatic banning though, as ignoring someone's postings shouldn't unduly reflect on their standing within the forum in general.

The rep system does seem to provide the needed tool for that.

Anyhow...no more keyboard from me for a week, as I'm about to get away for a short break.

Best Regards

Mick
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Private message box;

Unable to delete sent messages over a year old that have never been opened. Attempting to delete is responded to with the following message:

"Could not update user pm counters
Admin has been notified."

Ralph
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hm, sorry for the trouble Ralph. I'll see if I can patch up the database when I have some time.
-Scott
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

To everyone else who's made requests here: sorry I have not been responsive. I do not have much time these days to work on the site's PHP code, add new features, etc. I appreciate having this list of requests for reference though, in case I ever do get the time or inclination to work on the code.
Thanks,
Scott
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

Hi Scott,
I can't read a message in my inbox.
Always get this message;

Could not update private message read status for user

Admin has been notified.

Do I just have to be patient or is there something wrong with something my end that needs correcting?
Thanks.