How Difficult can it be?

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: How Difficult can it be?

Post by rasselasss »

So getting back on track(pun intended) the wheel is aluminium 27 inches in dia. width of the rim is 1 1/4 inches ...the circumference of the rim (at the well or rim base )is 77.9.inches.....what i'm at now is which position from 12.30 o'clock onwards is "best"for the weight(1/2 inch ball bearing)which i am sticking on a thin layer of bluetack(just enough to hold it until it drops off as the wheel rotates)......hopefully this will give an me an idea to calculate the revolutions each position versus the movement required in a mech.to reload and a timeframe to continue motion.....p.s. i applied a similiar piece of bluetack directly opposite to keep the wheel balanced.....i have to say i was surprised at the speed of the rotation and the revolutions involved in a rough test....edited just to add it did'nt drop off it flew off!.....thats a thought for reload ?
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Bearing in mind i,m keeping the mech.as simple as possible ...i've established the best position for re-set is 12.30 and the arc when the ball bearing leaves the wheel rim is 4.00 -5.00 o'clock...when this happens the wheel continues to revolve just over 4 revolutions until stoppage,so nothing new here .....with the velocity of the ball which bounced 2-3 inches high and continued rolling on the floor to a distance of 16 feet ...now the question can we use this as a method to reload or an assistance ..ball to ball contact (richochet effect)...or as a single action...edited to add i would much prefer this course than a mech. driven by the wheel which would obviously return us to the vicious circle we all know too well....Have a think about it all suggestions are welcome..
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Now,in desperation i show the problem to my 7 year old g/daughter,she said,"Attach a string to the ball bearing and train our pet Budgerigar to retrieve and replace it to the required position"..not quite what i had in mind.....next i ask the wife(her with the Medusa stare)and she suggests "attach an elastic string to the ball bearing and funnel it in some manner back to the required position"...Hmmm...not what i hoped for but thoughts nonetheless......can we use this inertia obtained from the ball in say "yo-yo"fashion as a means to re-load...maybe not so ridiculous i rule nothing out.......A good adage is "Don't close the book on anything until all avenues are exhausted"...
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

rasselasss

LOL that reminds me of my dog Xena when she was a pup, would play with one of my magnet wheels accelerating the wheel with her paw. Just so she could watch it spin and bark at it. I have a video of it somewhere but it was bad light.

It had already been ruled a non runner so we just got some fun from it.
"Our education can be the limitation to our imagination, and our dreams"

So With out a dream, there is no vision.

Old and future wheel videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/ABthehammer/videos

Alan
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

deleted
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

I deleted the above until i conduct a few tests which up to now appear favourable.......here''s a photo of me relaxing,splitting Roddins to weave a fence......trust me i'm older than dirt and "medusa"says he's my double..
Attachments
sallly rod 004_opt.jpg
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

This is not a joke:
the farmer personage on above photo is really very impressive!
Try to evaluate his age and how much work his hands have done!
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Murilo,i have a lot of these Plate photo's,my gt.gt.grandfather took a lot of people that lived about where he lived apparently that old boy served under General Gordon of Khartoum he had cataracts in both eyes he was near blind ,a simple operation we take for granted to-day,he died 1900 about 70 years old.i'm putting a photo of his brother taken near the same time.
Last edited by rasselasss on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Stacking peat or turf to burn in the fire in the home.
Attachments
stacking peat (turf) 002_opt.jpg
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Moving on,after a few simple tests which convince me that Newton who i don't know a great deal of his personal life apart from Wilki could obviously have solved this simple wheel design....Which leads the question "why did'nt he"....if i remember correctly he remained silent without publically criticising Bessler and had a habit of "gleaning"info.of others and then disgarding them...he was enormously wealthy and had the world academics hanging on his every word wrote or spoke ..in truth all in all i find it very strange...
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

rasselesss,
thanx for those 2 photos and the brother's CV. Great!
These photos show in blue a 1900's photo-chop remake tentative... 8)

About the affair JB x Newton, based on your words, I guess that Newton must be the great master and model to our sheriff Jim_Mib, in BW.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Relating to "we ask too much of our build designs"after testing with this in mind i decided a "small"movement would give continuity to this simple wheel design so i applied the ball bearing at 2.30 and remove it at 3.30 (marked on the sketch as x and x )....so using the simplest and least energy consuming method....have a go using a simple mech.to raise the ball back up to the 2.30 position......study it well ....think Newton ......In answer to Dwy.. if the solution for this simple wheel design which has no secrets,everything is in front of the viewer (nothing hidden)..no tricks ,no magic and ABSOLUTLEY nothing complicated what chance has the Members here of replicating Bessler's wheel capable of work..............I will add this and NO more the solution is simple.
Attachments
entry_opt.jpg
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Moving on and believe me i have spent many,many hours figuring this out.......how to make this work "inside"the wheel as per"Bessler's"design thus replicating what he achieved ....When Karl looked inside Bessler's Wheel (believed to be the only person to do so)UNLESS Bessler explained and showed it in motion and depending on how long he looked at it and through embarrassment (we know he was clever)in all probability said "very good"......if you think about it ,what other explanation....the whole design being so simple....but at "rest"difficult because really there is no indication to what does what.......i can open a 6 speed gearbox and know the action of each layshaft and gear through usage(i include this to hopefully show ,not the complexity but rather knowing what the "action"is of the moving parts) so glancing at this for the first and a limited time i would need to watch it working...then its easy....real easy......edited to hopefully make clear my dyslexic writing.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

Just to clarify...On my reckoning if Karl did know what he was looking at,human nature being what it is,he would have told some-one at some point in his lifetime the simplicity of Bessler's design.
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

rasselasss

It is funny someone can look at something and still not be able to duplicate it. Not to mention without diagrams and precise descriptions key parts can easily be missed. Like this one that was released shortly after Bessler's death. It could have come from info about or even from Bessler.

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/downl ... er=user_id

I also have an original release of the first version of the shown wheel. Picture diagram and all in The Gentleman's Magazine Oct 1751
The inventor was simply called Mr AB
"Our education can be the limitation to our imagination, and our dreams"

So With out a dream, there is no vision.

Old and future wheel videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/ABthehammer/videos

Alan