Parts directly from China

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Parts directly from China

Post by Furcurequs »

I've ordered parts directly from China again through ebay! I just found the least expensive things that should do the job and then I hit the "Buy it now" button.

I've had no problems with this type of purchase thus far (unless that one fraudulently labeled memory card was from China? That may have been a U.S. seller, though), and things usually get here about as quickly as they do from U.S. sellers - even with the slower free shipping!

I thought about fabricating my own parts out of materials I could find at local hardware and discount stores, but why bother?

I can find something online that is already ready-made that will probably work even better than what I could make myself or could find in town and then get it direct from China and delivered to my mail box for less than what the raw materials alone would cost me in town - not to even mention the savings on my time, effort and gas money, too. ;P

...and so I only have to leave my couch long enough to get to the mailbox... ...well, and maybe get back!

I'm playing around with some ideas that may need some roller chain and sprockets or perhaps belts and pulleys. I ended up splitting the difference and ordered "timing" belts and pulleys that are apparently used in these newfangled 3d printers. The belts have teeth and the pulleys have grooves so they don't allow for slippage.

Whether my experimental idea will work or not, I don't know yet (though I'm optimistic), but at some point I still may need some sort of power take-off, anyway.

...okay, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic there, too.

I'll at least have some new things to play with!!
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
raj
Addict
Addict

re: Parts directly from China

Post by raj »

Guts, hope and Optimism are the ingredients when moving in an unchartered territory.

Raj
Keep learning till the end.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Quote "I can find something online that is already ready-made that will probably work even better than what I could make myself or could find in town and then get it direct from China and delivered to my mail box for less than what the raw materials alone would cost me in town - not to even mention the savings on my time, effort and gas money, too. ;P "

--------

Yep , as Paul Simon says - We live in the 'Age of Miracles and Wonders' . Its all too easy to forget that we have technological advantages that 99.999% (or thereabouts :) of all the humans that have ever lived didn't have .

So I got an urge the other day to get me a prism , the same as or similar to the one that used to be in our school Science lab that I used to 'covet' ( until I found out from our religous teacher" that 'coveting 'things was a sin ) . The urge to have one though never really left me . I still 'coveted' secretly in my head : )

So I got onto Ebay and ordered two prisms (each with their own adjustable stand - which my coveted prism didn't have !) -for $4.75 and $2.00 postage each ! .

Youre right , why bother 'coveting' things when you can get them that cheap and delivered to your door all the way from China !

And probably the best thing about it is that not only do I end up with two of the coveted items but I actually had a choice of different types which are arguably better than the original item . Still asking myself why I'm so lucky !

I hope this system is not too good to last ! Our government is hoping to get us to pay Goods and Services Tax on internet purchases already. Then I presume they will try and get us to pay higher postage and after that maybe an extra tax to protect local manufacturing and then maybe a surcharge to cover extra handling because of the need to check for contra band and bombs and then maybe the goods should be quarantined for a few months
because they are coming from overseas and then... and then .. . --Hmmm is this optimism or realism ?

I really do want to be Optimistic and hope that the situation stays like it is but realistically I know that it won't. We have good statistical proof that everything changes and it is usually 50/50 whether its for what we consider a change for the good or a change for the bad.

Realism out-Trumps Optimism most of the time IMO .If you have a good estimate of what the outcomes of a situation could be , then you can optimistically plan alternative action other than shooting yourself in the head ! : )

---------

Quote "Whether my experimental idea will work or not, I don't know yet (though I'm optimistic), but at some point I still may need some sort of power take-off, anyway.

...okay, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic there, too."

----------

No ! , - I would call that 'Realism' because your optimism hasn't blinded you to the idea that your first idea might not work out and you might need some more things to play with ! : )
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I guess maybe we should "get while the gettin's good," and of course before the famine comes.

The things you've mentioned certainly aren't lost on me, and I've thought about them, too.

It is an interesting question as to just how long things can continue like this and what might be the long term consequences.

Although many of us here may be seeking a form of "free energy," as some would call it, the reason many enjoy such an abundance of inexpensive goods now is probably actually due to just how relatively inexpensive our current sources of energy already are. Although some individuals may be profiting more than others on these sources of energy (like the family of my one and only, and former, online romance who lives in the middle east), many are actually benefiting in the short term due to the cheap energy costs for transportation and manufacturing.

...but, of course, these sources of energy are finite and will run out eventually and may have other long term costs associated with them, too, if you're not a global warming / acidic ocean skeptic.

I also wonder what the other effects are of outsourcing the manufacturing of goods to places with cheap labor like China. On one hand it seems to be taking advantage of those less fortunate, but on the other, with the transfer of wealth and knowledge, it may actually be more beneficial to them. ...I don't know.

Here in the U.S., we have certainly lost many manufacturing jobs, so there is that. What was once the largest employer in my home town, a television manufacturer, is now gone, for instance.

Anyway, I guess all we can do is make use of the resources currently available to us and hopefully give back in some way, too, perhaps.

The two timing belts that I ordered, which are 852 mm (or ~33.5 inches) in circumference, along with the two 20 tooth pulleys cost me only $4.16 in total! ...with the shipping from China being free!

Before I decided to buy these, I was thinking about punching holes in a plastic ribbon and making some sort of toothed spools.

My method might have worked for a simple test device, but it would have obviously been quite time consuming to do and most likely would not have been as high precision as what I've ordered. So, I probably made the right choice. ...especially since my functional time is limited due to my chronic pain issues.

Another benefit is that in having to research the sorts of parts already available, if my test device were to work, I would already have some knowledge as to what could be used in a commercial device.

I was actually coveting some miniature bearings, too, but I decided that buying them would be overkill for my test device where smooth nails through small holes should be perfectly sufficient. It's not like I need bearings for something that will be spinning at thousands of rpm.

ETA: I will be using some more of the cheap skateboard bearing I bought through ebay a few years ago, though, so that I can have a shaft large enough to mount my new pulleys.

Oh, and about the prisms. A friend of mine who worked at a small optics company gave me one. I don't think it was one that he actually made, however. I believe he just bought it for me somewhere.

He did tell me, though, that his company made prisms for tanks as well as other precision optics for government military contracts. So, his job was in high dollar (ETA: and government funded) U.S. manufacturing, obviously.

The prism he gave me probably came from China, too. ...lol

Oh, I recently saw the following video from MIT where they were cutting the foil backing off of recordable CDs and using the plastic from the disk as diffraction gratings in a homemade spectrometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl42pnUbCCA

I have a list of items on ebay I'm still coveting that I haven't been able to justify buying yet - even though they are very cheap.

...like the small electronic scale that's disguised as an iPhone. That would be a nice toy to have! Unfortunately, though, I'm not doing chemistry experiments or dealing drugs where I might need such a thing.

Oh, wait! I might need to measure out my granulated sugar and stump remover (potassium nitrate) to make some sugar rocket engines!

The digital microscope that plugs into the computer usb port is a little higher on my list of coveted items, though. ...but only so I can look at bugs more up close and personal and blown up to the size of my computer screen! That really would be cool!

Anyway, when it comes to needed parts for my gravity powered motor experiments, I currently don't have the resources to be buying from and supporting U.S. companies who themselves are buying the parts directly from China! I have to cut out the middle men (ETA: or at least some of them).
Last edited by Furcurequs on Fri May 27, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: Parts directly from China

Post by Furcurequs »

raj wrote:Guts, hope and Optimism are the ingredients when moving in an unchartered territory.

Raj
I certainly agree with that.

I'd also add, though, that exploring uncharted territory just may not be for everyone. Some people are just too scared to venture beyond that which is already familiar to them and so just seek comfort and security in what they believe they already know.

Of course, though, one still might want to be armed with some reliable tools before venturing too far away from others. No need to make things more difficult than they actually need to be.

That reminded me. A friend of mine told me of someone his cousin knew who would literally just walk naked into the wilderness and try to survive on whatever he could find, and I guess as a test of his survivalist skills. I think he may now even be on one of those survivalist type television shows, even.

If you have to spend too much time and effort just trying to clothe and feed yourself, though, and in essence re-inventing the wheel, that doesn't leave much time for actual exploration.

You know, I guess I could have tried to prove to myself that I could make my own belt and pulley system, but that really would just be a distraction from the more important parts of my build and tests. So, cheap parts form China it is!

...anyway, just philosophizing.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Pictures of my parts! ...while I wait.

These two 20 tooth pulleys (with Allen wrench) cost me $1.70:

These 2 belts cost me $2.46 (though I really only need one):

I also finally got to town Friday to buy the wood pieces that I will need for my latest build from our local Lowe's hardware store. For small quantities, it doesn't look like I would really save very much buying the same things on ebay.

Should I be successful with my build, however, and need to build multiple prototypes as party favors (and there certainly will be a party!), then it looks like I could save a fair amount buying my wood pieces in bulk on ebay. The cost per item would be less than 40% of what I spend for small quantities at Lowe's.
Attachments
W002-A002-852MM-2PC-4-resized.jpg
W002-A002-852MM-2PC-1-resized.jpg
W002-A009-Set-resized.jpg
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Those are nice components !. Yes - I'd say they beat punching holes in plastic strip !

- and now that they're on their way , strike while the iron is hot and get the bearings , - you will be glad you did because a test wheel with bearings is much easier to use (and build IMO) than a friction bearing .
you will be glad you did (especially for use in your second and third adjustments and modifications ! :)

Many of my tools are Chinese - ( given that we're so close to China and save on the freight ! - and our dollar can be changed into US ones !) so if either of us crack this we will be able to give the Chinese credit where credit is due .

Originated in Germany , Built on the web with Chinese components and tools and markeded worldwide !
(I hope that gets us on the right side of the Chinese MIB's ! : ))
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Though it would look neat to have all those miniature bearings, with the size of my build I really can't justify using them. Since I'm only using rolls of U.S. pennies as my weights (the new pennies are 2.500 grams, btw, and I'll probably be using rolls of 50 for 125 gram weights), smooth nails through holes in wood seem to be perfectly adequate for what I'm doing.

I might as well be building a large pinwheel, I guess. As a matter of fact, it would probably be much harder to mount all those tiny little bearings for this than to just stick nails through holes.

Oh, I did get some smooth nickel furniture nails with nice big rounded heads when I was at Lowe's last. I may even have to go back and replace the push pins in one of my other builds with these. The plastic and aluminum heads had pulled off of some of them. The furniture nails look to be much more rugged and better suited for the job.

Were I to be lucky enough to end up with a working prototype, I could then up the size and weight of the next build to something that might actually put out some usable power. I could then go with real bearings and maybe even shift from a timing belt and pulleys to actual roller chain and sprockets!!

I've been coveting some #25 roller chain!!

If there is anything to my idea, I'm guesstimating that for weights in the range of a few pounds to a few kilograms, the output should be on the order of a few watts. ...and I think it would scale approximately linearly with the mass of the working weights, so that would mean thousands of pounds or kilograms would be needed to have an output power in the kilowatt range.

That, of course, would require some hefty bearings. Actually, I could then dispense with my timing belt or the equivalent in a more practical design. I only really need that for my test device.

I would need a power take off then, though.

It's fun to speculate (and/or dream, I guess).

Although I'm fairly sure of the dimensions of the pulleys and timing belts on the way, I'm reluctant to cut my wood to length until I actually have them in hand. If I were to get on the ball, though, I could possibly have most of my other parts fabricated and ready to assemble by the time those arrive.

I didn't even know there were Chinese MIBs! ;P ...but I suspect they would be happy with a boost in the demand for iron and steel, which I think would be a consequence of a working device. Iron has around 70% the density of lead and so due to its cost would probably be the material one would want to use for a functioning machine. The disadvantages of other materials as weights would probably be that they would either be too bulky or too expensive.

...anyway... ...just dreaming ahead.
I prefer working alone.
Andyb
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Andyb »

Ha nice piece of info i run a 1/8 on road ic these belts are really cheap interesting to know how long they last ,in the past the quality of the goods was in question, but it seems that they have adapted to the global reaction and got there quality right up there ,i recently puchased some planishing tips for a air hammer for 5.50 for two over here they are 20 to 30 pounds each unbelievable really i can not see how any body can compete with these prices which reminds me that china is were the future of the wheel will need to go or it will be stolen by them, there seems no middle ground any more ,thanks for the share hope i did not go to far off topic.
Only by making mistakes can you truly learn
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

You don't have to worry about going off topic in my threads. I'm of the philosophy that we need to just go wherever the inspirations lead us - even in conversation.

I certainly do remember a time when seeing the "made in china" sticker on something wasn't a pleasant discovery, for it did tend to mean a cheaply made and shoddy product. That, as you say, seems to have changed in recent years with feedback from the global community. I'm sure that the fact that so many high tech products are now made there, too, both for and with the assistance of respected companies based in other nations may have also helped.

That reminds me. One of my ebay direct from China purchases was an inexpensive caller ID box. It seemed to be functioning fine until I had an electrical storm.

I at first thought my phone line was out after the storm, but after messing around some, I discovered that the problem wasn't with my phone line or my phone or my DSL modem. It was the caller ID box that was in the line between the modem and phone that had apparently got zapped.

So, I now have to wonder if that was just a fluke and mostly the fault of that particular electrical storm or whether the device from China didn't have adequate surge protection for what is a rather common phenomenon around here.

Do I buy, then, another cheapie from China and take my chances while worrying it is going to crap out during a storm or buy a more expensive unit - and take my chances with that one?!

...arrrghh...

It might be like the can opener thing. I have bought several cheap metal can openers at the local Dollar General Store thinking that since it is metal it should be rugged and last, only to discover (or be reminded) that there is actually one little plastic part on them that always breaks - leaving the things inoperable.

I finally broke down and bought the more expensive can opener of the same brand and thus far it has been reliable. It's almost like they want you to have to go through a few cheapies that were designed with planned obsolescence in mind before you ultimately have to step it up and buy the more expensive one. A metal bushing instead of the plastic would have probably meant that the cheapie could have lasted a liftetime. I think I've now thrown away 3 of them.

As far as my belts for my simple test device, as long as I don't have to punch holes in ribbons, whatever they send should be good enough. ...or I hope, at least.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

My parts are in! My parts are in!

They arrived here 11 days after I placed my order - and direct from China!

They certainly look like they should do the job. They also look quite a bit smaller in reality than they did on the computer screen, but of course they are as they were described.

Unfortunately, though, I still haven't started my build. Always the procrastinator - whether with or without my valid excuse of chronic pain.

I at least can't blame my procrastination on not having the parts now. ...woohoo!

I need to get to work. I need to get to work. ...and... Get. My. Butt. In. Gear. - says the procrastinating pre-sophomoric ass clown

...lol
I prefer working alone.
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Mark »

Steve Martin?
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Always refreshing to see someone promoting honest enquiry, as opposed to those pushing their pet politics and/or religious nonsense. Good luck with your build.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

I don't think these parts are from China (they look a bit smallish) but they might be useful in calling up a prime mover for your build ! : )

www.anatomywarehouse.com/anatomical-mod ... ton-models
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Wow, I can now stop boiling up and and reassembling my own skeletons, like Bessler did!

Maybe it's time, then, to move the old skeletons out of the closet and get some new ones that have a proper paper trail or, at least, a proper online transaction history. ...lol

For the more serious amongst us, yes, I'm joking.

When I was a kid, though, and looking through science catalogs and stuff, I did sort of want a skeleton or skeleton model. I may have once gotten a toy or Halloween skeleton, perhaps, but I don't think it was anatomically correct. ...hmm... ...though maybe I do have a vague memory of assembling something that might have been more accurate, anyway...

I did find a mouse skeleton in my old used oven/stove in more recent years. It appeared the thing had crawled in and got electrocuted, for it was stuck between some electrical terminals.

Oh, and I found a rather large catfish skeleton down by the creek not long after moving into the cabin. I didn't bring it inside out of the weather, though, and so it eventually disintegrated.

A friend of mine used to toss dead animals he would find onto the top of his shed so that the sun would eventually bleach the bones after the flesh had rotted off. I think he had some skulls like the one on that one Eagles' album.

One of my regrets is that I never really had much in the way of biology or anatomy classes. Although with my technical background I know a bit about man-made machines, I don't really know all I would like to know about the human machine.

Thanks for the link.

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.