Parts directly from China

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Art
Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: Parts directly from China

Post by Art »

Andyb wrote: i have seen these batteries go off at my racing events the smoke is very thick, i wonder if the consideration of pollutants through fire have been truly considered

IIRC some Lithium compounds were used as drugs in mental health treatment about 20 years ago . That may have been why I felt very relaxed for the evening not because I survived the explosion but because I breathed the smoke in the kitchen ! : )
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: Parts directly from China

Post by Art »

Furcurequs wrote:
I've seen pictures of some flashlights with dual LEDs, but I didn't see that in the link you provided. Looked to be only one LED in the pictures that I saw. The torch you are considering also appears to be a zoomable one with a lens in the front that can, of course, be used as either a flood light or a beam/throw.

Looking at the picture again of the torch that made me think it had two LEDs , its possible that I'm looking at a reflection in the convex lens , - its ambiguous ( but excellent marketing If I end up buying because of it ! )

This picture of the torch keeps popping up as advertising (courtesy of Windows 10 ? ) whenever I'm browsing other sites . More wonderful marketing !

Furcurequs wrote:Believe it or not, it was a Garret VLF/TR that I decided to buy as a teenager nearly 40 years ago! So, I certainly know about the 6 9-volt batteries in the sliding tray! I ended up buying NiCds for mine and from Radio Shack, I think it was.
Thats about how old mine is (I bought mine 2nd hand though ) and its still going strong ! : )
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

re: Parts directly from China

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Art,

I've gotten some good deals off of ebay by paying close attention to the pictures. The hobby battery charger I recently received, for instance, is known for the various clone models that all look basically the same. Unfortunately, some of the clones supposedly use inferior parts and are not properly calibrated, though, and so could even be dangerous for charging the lithium ion batteries.

By looking closely at the pictures, however, it appeared that the one I ordered was made by one of the companies known for producing a quality product. When I got it, it was indeed the name brand that I thought it was. It had a hologram on the back of the unit and also a number which I could type in on the company website to verify that it was a legitimate product.

The neat thing is that by doing this I also saved about 33% off the price that the known name brand sells for. It was an unused open box product that the seller probably didn't even know could have demanded a higher price. All the clones really do look that similar.

In regards to your light, though, I just can't see two LEDs in any of the pictures or ads for it that I've seen! ...lol

Good luck, though! Again, for the price, either way it goes, you probably won't be disappointed. I showed my landlord my light when I paid the rent this week, and he commented several times on how bright it was.

Oh, and about you seeing the same ads when browsing other sites. That may be Google's doing! They seem to have their tentacles and spies all over the net! ...well, if it's not due to some of the other companies who track our browsing habits for advertisers.

As far as the metal detector, I've not even seen mine in the past 2 decades. It's at my mom's in her storage building still, most likely. The last I used it, it seemed to have a bit of a drift problem which could have just been due to aging capacitors or something. It did me well for many years, though.

As far as the subject of the thread, I just ordered some more stuff from China off of ebay!!

It turns out that the seller who got me the $1.60 (or so) optical mouse in about a week's time also had some electronic parts for sell that I can use in one of my (potential "free energy") electromagnetic projects! Woohoo!

I need a custom made ferrite shape, and so I'm going to try to cut and glue together some of these readily available ferrite pieces to fabricate it myself. It would, unfortunately, cost me more money than I have to get someone to make the custom piece for me.

Hopefully what I have in mind is doable. I did do something similar once before when cutting some ceramic magnets with some diamond coated cutting wheels I got off of ebay. Though the ferrite material is also a ceramic and will require the diamond tools, also, it at least shouldn't be as messy this time around since these pieces aren't magnetized.

While ordering my ferrite pieces, I also ordered some other things. The same seller also had 10 diamond coated cutting disks for about $1.40!! So, I got some more of those.

Another seller had 36 resin cutoff wheels I can use with my Dremel tool for $1.19!! 20 of those cost me over $5 at Walmart! Instead of a quarter (of a dollar) a piece, then, they are more like 3 cents a piece! ...and are going to be delivered to my mailbox from China for free!

Oh, wait! That order is coming from the Philippines! ...lol

Of course, I also decided I'd see just how good a $1.02 set of 6 Chinese acoustic guitar strings are! ...and the 555 electronic timer chips! I ordered another 50 of those at 4 cents a piece!! I think I might have paid over a $1 for just one at Radio Shack in the past!

...and the power mosfets at 10 for $2.34! Components as good as this couldn't be had for any price back in the days I used to work in the switch mode power supply design groups at IBM!

I also ordered 5 10-watt 9 emitter 12V LED modules for $2.98!!! Each should put out close to 1000 lumen, so I may wire those babies up so as to bathe my planned winter hot pepper crop in 5000 lumens of white light!! I'll probably power them with a power supply from one of the old computers I snagged from the dump!

...and, of course, I needed some solder at close to $1 an ounce! ...and some spare mandrels for my Dremel tool! 10 for $1! I was always worried about losing the one that I have. I think they're about $2 a piece at Walmart!

...haha

I actually had about $70 worth of stuff in my ebay cart for a while. I forced myself to whittle it down to about $20, though, before actually making my order.

With so many of these items selling for 5 to 10 percent of the normal price, though, it's hard to resist stocking up the old parts box!

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Hi Dwayne

"I also ordered 5 10-watt 9 emitter 12V LED modules for $2.98!!! Each should put out close to 1000 lumen, so I may wire those babies up so as to bathe my planned winter hot pepper crop in 5000 lumens of white light!! I'll probably power them with a power supply from one of the old computers I snagged from the dump! "

---

Are you stealing another of my projects ! : ) .

I have tried to to grow plants during the winter here indoors under incandescent , fluorescent and LEDs .

Although I had a moderate amount of success with all three light sources I found that the plants did best under the incandescent due I think to the the extra heat given off . But also the plants never really thrived under the artificial lights for me like they do outdoors in the sun during summer . I found there is a bit more to this farming stuff than meets the eye ,when you actually try and grow stuff to eat ! I'm pretty sure I'd starve if I had to produce all my own food .

I found that the spectrum of the light seems to be very important and the requirements of the different types of plants seems to vary a lot .

My final decision after about three years was that I would construct a greenhouse and use a clear glass roof to collect as much natural light as possible during winter and augment with artificial light. This decision was made about 2 years ago . Since then I have been collecting all the stuff I need to build . I think I've got most of the stuff I need now (even though the actual design is not complete yet I think there is probably enough stuff around getting in my way for two glasshouses ! )

The only problem thats holding me up now is the refusal of the Bessler Wheel project to be finished on schedule so I can design the heating system . Bugger ! it was supposed to have been finished two years ago . Since then at least 10 good ideas have bitten the dust , the last good one just yesterday . Again I thought that one was it !,It was matching clues I hadn't even noticed before . Its funny how you don't even see most of Besslers clues until you have a "good " idea to build . Then his books look like the "I Ching" and everthing takes on meaning !

Anyway since it doesn't look like Besslers Wheel is immanent at the moment , I might start designing a passive solar heating system for the greenhouse , with some solar panels to drive the LED lighting .

As long as I don't get any more "good" ideas for the wheel (which has a habit of diverting me off all other projects ) there is an outside chance I might have somewhere to put my (so far about a dozen) sprouted Chilli seeds before winter. There are two different varieties on the go at the moment and two other varieties planned for planting this week . They should be reasonable sized plants just ready for "overwintering " in at least a half built greenhouse .I have three months , - seems like a lifetime if you say it slow !

Two of the varieties are so hot I may not need much extra heating through the winter !
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

OMG! I'm so sorry! You're an alternate hemisphere version of myself! I certainly hope it's easier being like this in a land down under than it is here! ...lol ;P

Several years ago I started a nice indoor crop of habaneros. I bought a fluorescent light fixture with two 4' T12 bulbs. ...and after checking the specs on the specific bulbs, it looks like those would have put out a total of about 4500 lumen of full spectrum light. Their color temperature is apparently very near that of my new flashlight, too, at 5000 degrees K.

The plants grew really well under those lights and even flowered indoors, but the flowers fell off and no fruit was set. I suspected, too, that it wasn't warm enough for them, and I've since heard that as the plants near fruiting stage they not only need the warmth but also some warmer/redder light.

After moving those plants outdoors, though, some went on to give me quite a few peppers. I kept them in plastic containers, however, which to be honest were probably way too small for them. I used the bottom halves of some 2 liter plastic bottles for my "pots" and used soil that I had just scraped up from out of the woods. The soil was so rich, though, they they grew fairly well even with the very constricted roots.

I managed to keep some of those plants alive for a few years, bringing them inside during the colder months. I think I actually kept one of them alive for maybe 4 or 5 years, but I finally managed to kill even it. I got lazy and didn't bring it inside early enough its final year.

So, I'm having to start again. Just last night I moved some seeds I had been soaking in a potassium nitrate solution to some damp paper towels so as to sprout them. Some are serranos and some are habaneros.

I was also looking on ebay last night for some more hot pepper seeds. Oh, and even the pepper seeds are cheaper from China!! ...lol... I'm thinking about buying some chocolate, white, yellow and red habaneros and even some of the hotter varieties of peppers.

I'm like you with the farming, though. I don't think I would be able to survive, either, if I had to grow the food myself. Thankfully, though, if I had to, I could probably survive here off of the roadkill and acorns!! ...haha ...though I'd have to learn to stomach the opossums and the skunks, of course!

The neat thing about the peppers is that they are not only colorful and can be grown indoors in pots (well, potentially), but with hot ones like the habaneros, when they are added to tacos, omelettes or stir fries, a little can go a very long way.

It's less than three weeks until winter officially starts here, and so the days are already quite short and cold. So, I've actually been craving some of that added spicy heat, and yet I don't have any peppers this year! :(

I also live near the bottom of a North facing wooded hillside, so even in the summer months I don't get much direct sunlight for my peppers. The part of the property that receives the most sunlight in summer is unfortunately the roof of my cabin! ...and that provides heat that I don't want. Too bad I can't get such a hot tin roof in the wintertime!

Anyway, I'm going to try to see if I can get my peppers to bear fruit indoors this year and hopefully before springtime. When the plants get near the flowering stage, I'll try adding some incandescent light and/or some of the warmer LED or compact fluorescent light. I do have a stash of old 60 watt incandescents somewhere. I need to make some sort of light fixture for them, though.

The $3 LEDs, amounting to 50 total watts, that I ordered should put out the same amount of light as my two 4' fluorescent lights - which would now cost about $14 and be 80 total watts. The LED light will be a bit cooler, though.

Of course, all this is a distraction from my potentially Bessler related stuff, but I'll get back to those projects eventually. My unfinished devices don't seem to be going anywhere.

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.
Wubbly
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Wubbly »

I'm not a gardener, but if you grow peppers indoors, do you need to pollinate the peppers by hand (or by fans) for them to produce, since there are no insects or wind to perform the task indoors?

http://www.hortmag.com/plants/fruits-ve ... ollinators
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Wubbly,

Yes, that's a good point. Thanks. I failed to mention that.

I did use a small paintbrush and attempted to pollinate my indoor peppers by hand. I made sure to use pollen from different plants, too.

I guess there's a possibility I didn't do a good enough job, but I did take my time with it and tried to do it well. So, I don't think that was the problem with mine. The plants were in the floor, though, where it was quite a bit cooler than peppers are supposed to like, so my best guess is that it was a lack of warmth and of perhaps enough light.

It seems I was able to get some tomatoes to set indoors once (if I remember correctly and it wasn't something else). I believe tomatoes can be pollinated with their own pollen just by shaking them a bit. Okay, after looking it up, it seems that chili peppers can also be pollinated with their own pollen, though again I think I tried to cross pollinate mine.

If I try it again this year, I may make sure I do the hand pollination multiple times to give them a greater chance of bearing peppers.

Oh, after seeing that Chinese sellers were selling pepper and other seeds on ebay, I started wondering if it was actually okay to import them. After looking things up, it seems that to import "small lots of seed" into the U.S., one actually needs to apply for a free permit that's good for 3 years and then follow quite a few rules when having them shipped in.

It appears you have to send a copy of the permit to the exporter along with address labels for a U.S. inspection facility and then the exporter has to follow a set of rules as to how the seeds are shipped and labeled and whatnot. After the inspection facility inspects them for free, they then forward them on to the importer.

If the seeds are of something that U.S. sellers already have, it looks like it would be way too much bother to import them (legally or perhaps not) to save only a few bucks.

I think all the other items I've been ordering from China are inexpensive enough and of a type that are pretty much duty and hassle free. I've not had a problem yet, at least.

Apparently, you mostly need to just avoid custom made suits from Hong Kong for some reason.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Well, I've already received my chocolate habanero and white habanero seeds from U.S. ebay sellers. They came from Connecticut and Florida in about 3 and 4 days each.

I've yet to receive any of my recently ordered parts from China or Germany or the Philippines, but It's only been a little over a week since my earliest order. So, those might start trickling in next week.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I got an email from one of the Chinese ebay sellers I recently ordered from informing me that they had received notice that a package of mine was being held by customs for inspection and that this could result in a 15 to 30 day delay in its arrival.

They then went on to offer me a full refund so that I could purchase the items elsewhere if I couldn't wait that long to receive them, saying that I could also still keep the original items if/when they did arrive.

I ordered multiple items from this seller, so I'm not sure if they were all being sent in the same package or whether this just applied to a part of my order, but I sent an email declining the refund offer, telling them I didn't mind the delay.

Anyway, this was the same seller who got me one of my computer mice in about a week's time and who had sent me multiple emails inquiring about its arrival, so they seem to be quite sincere.

It will probably be U.S. Customs that screws me.

High power mosfets, electronic solder, small fiberglass circuit boards, timer chips, diamond cut off wheels, guitar strings and ferrite cores! I hope customs doesn't think I was receiving bomb making supplies!!

Of course, a good bomb maker would probably know better than to trust cheap, possibly mislabeled and counterfeit power transistors from China! ...lol

I hope I don't lose my whole order because of those!!

The 555 timer chips have been around for 40 years and were never patented anyway, so those shouldn't be a problem. If my transistors have a fake International Rectifier symbol on them, however, I'm screwed! Their part number alone may screw me if that particular type of transistor is still under patent protection. I highly doubt it would be an actual IR part.

I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

"I hope customs doesn't think I was receiving bomb making supplies!! "

----

When they check and find out that you have been ordering Habenaro seeds as well (making you possibly of Mexican descent ?) and that you post as a member of BW forum (where a lot of seditious posts can be found by people dabbling in unapproved sciences ) , - you're sure to have some visits from MIB's !

Dwayne , whatever happens , keep posting so we can keep track of you ! : )
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

...lol

This importing business is now making me paranoid. This is too much stress for me. Next time maybe I'll just pay the extra couple of bucks and count my blessings. ...haha

With my luck, I wouldn't be surprised if my old college engineering lab partner decided to track me down after 30 years for some reason. Was he from Baghdad, Iraq or Damascus, Syria? I've forgotten.

The Mexicans are at least still safe until Trump takes office! What's that? A few weeks still?
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Many of my ebay orders have tracking numbers that can be accessed through ebay itself. The tracking information may not be so complete, however.

For some of the items it only says that a tracking number has been provided and that the information will be updated when the package reaches the carrier. It's been over 2 weeks, however, without any updates.

Hopefully the stuff is actually on the way, and it's only the tracking that's a problem.

Today, one of my packages showed "Handed over to Customs"! I thought, "Oh, no! They've confiscated something!"

...but I noticed that it was one of the items that also gave the tracking number of the United States Postal Service, too, which can be accessed separately. I checked it, and it said "Delivered In/At Mailbox"!

I walked out to the mailbox and I had my package! ...containing the 10 mandrels that will fit a Dremel tool.

So, the international tracking doesn't seem to be too reliable. The "Handed over to Customs" was dated today, and yet the package was actually delivered today. I don't believe the local post office would qualify as "Customs."

Anyway, my ten 10 cent mandrels actually seem to be quite well made. I've not yet actually tried one, however.

A single Dremel mandrel from Amazon is $4.85! That's 4.8 times what I paid for 10! ...and mine even came with tiny washers! ...and don't forget were also delivered to my mailbox directly from China!

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I got my package of ferrite beads, the flat ones for ribbon cable, from Germany last week.

I'm still waiting on my cylindrical ferrite beads and some other items from China. I have three orders that are now over 4 weeks old that have not yet arrived, one of those orders being the one I was informed was being held by Customs for inspection. The other two I've not received any word of - the cutting disks for my Dremel tool and the 10 watt LEDs.

I hope the package with my ferrite beads makes it through Customs. I really would like to start fabricating the test device for one of my projects, and I need those cylindrical beads and could, of course, use those diamond coated cutting disks from that order, too.
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I got my five 10 watt LEDs from China this week! They seem to put out quite a bit of light, and I'm really pleased with their tint, also.

The light from these looks about the same as that from my full spectrum fluorescent tubes. So, I might try to use them with my pepper plants this winter. ...well, if my seeds ever sprout.

I'm still waiting on the package with my cylindrical ferrite beads and diamond coated cutting disks and other stuff that I was informed was being held by customs for inspection.

The seller keeps annoying me, though, trying to give me my money back! ...lol

I probably should take it, but if I ultimately do receive the items, I don't want the seller to be stiffed for a delay that was beyond their control.

For instance, I got something else from China just today that I had ordered at the same time as the other stuff. So, these long delays are not unusual. (...and... ...shhh.. It was a packet of pepper seeds.) ...and according to the tracking information on it, it had been in the U.S. for over three weeks before I finally received it.

I'll probably just avoid answering for awhile the last e-mail with the refund offer, giving the items a little while longer to arrive.

Were my items confiscated by customs, though? Did I try to "import" something (...else, like the pepper seeds) that I wasn't supposed to? Did the seller mislabel my items and so run afoul of proper importing procedures? Were the transistors I ordered counterfeits of a name brand that would be illegal to import?

...arrggh...

Maybe I should have just paid the extra few bucks to U.S. sellers?

Okay, who am I kidding? There is no way I could get anywhere near the same sorts of deals through U.S. sellers, and the added excitement is just one of the extra benefits of ordering parts directly from China!!

ETA: I may not order multiple items from the same seller at the same time again, though. If things are packaged and sent separately, I would think that they might make it through Customs more easily.
I prefer working alone.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

[quote="furcurequs]
Art wrote:Wombats are funny little animals (sometimes big animals actually ) genetically related from millions of years ago to Koala Bears . They look and shuffle along like little Sherman tanks and live in burrows . They are also nocturnal which is why they frequently end up as road kill unfortunately . They look like a furry cube with legs and they even go so far as to poo little cubes . No kidding , - the first time you see it you would think someone was pulling your leg and had deliberately shaped it into a perfect little cube !
I've seen wombats on nature shows, of course, but are you sure those droppings aren't from the drop bears?! ...lol [/quote]

--------

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/why- ... shaped-poo

A gift for someone who already has everything ! , - I have access to these ! .

For a 'small' consideration and providing your Customs don't prohibit the transportation of them as unAmerican technology , I can route them to you via China ! :)