3d Printing components

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

re: 3d Printing components

Post by Tarsier79 »

No, not really. Besides, the print would be better if the wax wasn't there. The plastic is heated to around 200 degrees and is pushed through a nozzle... Bye bye wax.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Makes sense , - what I thought the answer might be !

Since I will be doing most of the experiments outside I will be waiting until summer when the weather is a bit warmer (a lot warmer actually , it has been around 2 degrees earlier this week ) to see what pressures I can get out of a 10 to 20 foot of water in a syphon and then see if me and venturi can do anything with it .

I'll let you know if I have any success.
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

Post by daanopperman »

Hi Art ,

Piab is a company specializing in vacuum transport of products .

If you are interested in multistage vacuum generators they have in " Piab vacuum academy " a drawing of it there under compressed air driven ejector pumps .
The pdf file is about 1.7 mb

I am sure the medium you want to work in will not be any different , it is only the generator itself will need a little beefing up .

You might also like to see N . Tesla's one way valve , no moving parts.
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Thanks Daan ,

A lot of different types of pumps !

Much of the Piab stuff is a bit too serious for me at the moment until I test the concept of whether I can get atmospheric pressure to come to the party and do some work for me .

Initially I will only be looking at pressure differences of a few pounds at most to see if the idea is valid or not .

The Tesla one way valve is new to me !

http://makezine.com/2012/01/05/the-tesl ... ing-parts/

That type of flow arrangement could be useful in the experiments !

Cheers
Have had the solution to Bessler's Wheel approximately monthly for over 30 years ! But next month is "The One" !
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

Post by daanopperman »

Hi Art ,

The piab vacuum generator is most simple ,

it consist of a rectangular box , a small tube for the hp air blowing into a much larger tube exiting the box on the other side . The gap between the small and the large tube is where the box is evacuated .The box have a opening on the bottom where atmos. air rushes into the box to replace the air around the larger tube that was displaced by the jet of hp air .

3 parts ,

1) a box
2) small tube
3)large tube .

Multi stage will just be adding a next box to the existing one where the large tube of the first box enters the next box with a even larger tube which it flows into .
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

That sounds good .

I couldn't actually find a diagram in their information laying out the operation method (though they have heaps of other info that I find useful ).

Do you have a link to that by any chance ?
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Killing time and staying out of the heat, you might try finding your needs on this search engine link.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hsp ... ini~chrome
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

Post by daanopperman »

Hi Art ,

It so happens I have one ,I will strip the side off tommorow and send you a photo , it is quite a big generator , multistage , with tubber seals on the bottom of every stage to shut that stage off as the vacuum builds up in the main chamber . The deep vacuum is generated by the smallest of the offiface , and the last stage is where the volume of the vacuum is generated , but also the lowest , that is the reason for the flap valves at the bottom of each section , and since they are all open to the main vacuum chamber , the flap valve prevents the air to flow from the low vaccuum high volume side to the high vacuum low volume side
So when you start the main air to flow , the last stage is what generates the high volume , and the deep vacuum builds up to - . 8 bar .
This generator does not only boast stages in series , but also in parallel .
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

Below is a simple "catch and latch" That I am using. It uses gravity to operate the latch.
Attachments
Latch.jpg
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Reminds me a bit of one of my own "catch and latch and release" mechanisms, but I use a rubber band to hold the latch in place and a string to trigger the release. The string just needs a gentle tap or tug.

I made the swiveling part out of a tongue depressor by drilling a hole in it and then cut it to shape in a minute or two with my Dremel tool.

With me using wood, graphite is good on the mating surfaces to keep things working on those humid days!

(Thanks, again, Bill)

I used square poplar dowels for the support and just drilled holes in them for the pin going through the swiveling mechanism. I also used a piece of 1/8" poplar dowel for my pin. I could have just as easily used a wire nail instead, however.

Dwayne
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Look what you can do after your next beer if you save the bottle and cap !

https://youtu.be/ajIDwzUYBi4
Art
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Art »

Didn't find what I was looking for in your search engine link Ralph , but it's OK because Daan kindly sent me me a photo of his machine which he partly disassembled .

Thanks to you both !
Ed
Addict
Addict

Post by Ed »

Hi Kaine,

I just bought a 3d printer. I was tired of dealing with the complexity of certain simulations, when I could just print the parts and test in reality, and skip the inconsistent constraints or fluid dynamics calculations.

I'd be interested to hear your experience with printing different materials?

Thanks,
Ed
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

No probs Ed. I use PLA for all my prototyping. Many people have problems with it jamming if it contains moisture. I have a bowden extruder with a cheap chinese 0.3mm nozzle, and have never had any problems. I often buy the cheapest PLA I can get my hands on. I get a relatively high quality print, but it can always be improved with fans etc. PLA is biodegradable, so it has a moderately low environmental impact, but is less useful if you want something to last a long time. Different colours have different characteristics in extrusion temperatures, strength, and flexibility.

For things I want to last longer, I use ABS. ABS has its own issues, but is also cheap, available in many colours, and works well with the correct settings. It's higher melting temperature makes it more resilient, but it will become brittle over time. It is more flexible/less brittle than PLA, if that suits the application.

A lot of people rave about PETG. I haven't tried it, but it is much stronger than ABS and PLA.
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

Here is my latest design. It looks more like clockwork than a gravity wheel design. I knew it had pretty muchd no chance of working, and knew why. It uses a heavy ball rolling at the bottom to engage weights that shift to become overbalanced. Although it appears the force is always "perpendicular to the axis of rotation", like most designs is driven by the rotation of the main wheel. I still had to build it for my own satisfaction.
Attachments
Roller.jpg