3d Printing components

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Ed
Addict
Addict

re: 3d Printing components

Post by Ed »

Tarsier79 wrote:Here is my latest design. It looks more like clockwork than a gravity wheel design. I knew it had pretty muchd no chance of working, and knew why. It uses a heavy ball rolling at the bottom to engage weights that shift to become overbalanced. Although it appears the force is always "perpendicular to the axis of rotation", like most designs is driven by the rotation of the main wheel. I still had to build it for my own satisfaction.
Cool. How much of this was printed in place, versus having to assemble from separately printed parts?

Metamaterials might bring some useful ideas to incorporate motion into more complex printed designs. http://hpi.de/baudisch/projects/metamat ... nisms.html
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

I think there are 5 or 7 layers from memory. Each layer was printed separately.
Ed
Addict
Addict

Post by Ed »

Hi

I just thought I'd post this page for two interesting reasons. 1) the scissor mechanism, and 2) the make-your-own-rivets thing.

Kaine, you probably have seen many things like this, but I figured I'd show it anyway, as I think many people are still not sure what good 3d printers are for. Many people suddenly become interested in 3d printers once I start telling/showing them all the things that can done.

I'm upgrading my printer, which is a delta-style, to use a 3 material head. I believe there is a version for your printer, Kaine, as well, including updates to the open-source firmware to accommodate the new head.

How is this for a "hands-on" approach? No more missing/lost rivets!

http://hackaday.com/2016/06/11/barb-mak ... nt-rivets/