Jim Mich...

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

re: Jim Mich...

Post by Furcurequs »

When I was retaking my first quarter of English composition in college, and thanks to the "no credit" I received the first time around, our professor spent a couple of days or so on "jargon."

He addressed how that in different fields of study people developed their own unique terminology and then gave examples of technical jargon which, if I remember correctly, he spoke of in somewhat negative terms, implying that it wasn't always such a good thing and could lead to confusion.

One of our assignments was to find and bring to class examples of such jargon. Being the person that I am, of course, I just picked up a pamphlet from the English department itself on my way into class and one which listed the titles of presentations by English department professors. ...lol

Talk about jargon! There was terminology in there I hadn't seen or heard before nor have I seen or heard since!

When it came to discussion of our examples, however, I noticed that our teacher skipped right over me and mine! :(

...haha

Anyway, as far as the "establishment" goes, my nearest claim to fame would be that I as a college student had the opportunity to work briefly in the design group of one of the IBM PCs. I ended up having a chance at such a sweet gig through my school's cooperative education program because my first quarter grades were so good. ...and perhaps thanks to that "no credit" in English!!

My other two choices besides IBM were a government agency that not many people had heard of at the time called the NSA (which some jokingly said stood for "No Such Agency"), and an upstart video game design company by the name of Western Technologies, Inc. where, I was told, I would be writing programs for video games. (Just recently I looked that stuff up on the internet, btw, and it appears that I would have been writing games for a product they later released called the Vectrex.)

I could have returned to IBM after college, but after struggling with the idea I essentially chose to give up a career there so that I could find a way to follow my own inspirations to wherever they might lead me. I knew I wouldn't have the freedom to pursue my own interests while working for THE MAN - THE ESTABLISHMENT! ...or whomever, really.

...but not because I believe there's some sort of grand conspiracy against free thought, but rather that any employer's or institution's agenda is going to be different than my own and spending eight hours a day thinking about other people's stuff would be too taxing on my poor little brain if I were also going to be exploring my own stuff on my own time, too! So, I ultimately chose less mentally demanding jobs.

Creatively, then, not returning to IBM may have actually been a very good choice for me, but financially and health wise, and maybe also even in regards to my personal life, I've certainly paid a price. I stayed in my hometown which, to be honest, is kind of backwards and has piss poor medical care.

Anyway, maybe due to my choices, and despite my current health issues, I actually do now have some interesting things I could share with the world of not just a technical nature but seemingly also of historical and "religious" ones, too.

Hopefully, I'll eventually get around to doing that.

As far as the "jargon" in the "free energy" community goes, though, that does tend to annoy me a bit, also, but when it comes to the academic and/or scientific "publish or perish" communities, as suggested above they aren't always so innocent themselves - as many do seem to try to talk up their own "work" with their own special language.

You should see some of the words they string together!

On the other hand, where some technical language has indeed very specific and long accepted meanings, those words can be royally abused in a forum like this one.

So, all-in-all, if someone wants to use "ersatz" when speaking of using centrifugal force as an artificial gravity, I don't have much of a problem with that. I'm more perturbed by those who would be presumptuous enough to pretend they could overturn the accepted fundamental laws of physics without even knowing them.

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

@Furcurequs

I also would like any "jargon" to be defined and supported.

That being supported with mathematical & repeatable scientific experimentation.

I would not object to word corrections, or to supply clarifications for that aim.

I would like to believe there are a few members here who want their research to be understandable outside this forum.

Fine - less typing - easy to text replace.

"ersatz" equates "centrifugal force"

P.S. language is a technical tool and should be kept sharp.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

agor95 wrote:...
"ersatz" equates "centrifugal force"
No it doesn't. Force isn't mentioned. Ersatz equates to substitute Newtonian Gravity.

What is force, pray?

I put this question to a cambridge PhD, Dr Dumbleton, when he was working at RRL for a time. Force is simply an alias for a hidden strain I told him. He pushed his finger against the wall and said.

"I can feel the force."

"No you can't, you idiot. What you're feeling is the deformation of your finger."

"If your finger didn't deform you wouldn't feel anything. Force is a redundant concept. It can be replaced everywhere by strain."

I saw this most clearly when we were measuring the full stress-strain curve of concrete at BRS. I think I've written it up somewhere. I'll, see if I can dig it out.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Jim Mich...

Post by Grimer »

Furcurequs wrote:When I was retaking my first quarter of English composition in college, and thanks to the "no credit" I received the first time around, our professor spent a couple of days or so on "jargon."

He addressed how that in different fields of study people developed their own unique terminology and then gave examples of technical jargon which, if I remember correctly, he spoke of in somewhat negative terms, implying that it wasn't always such a good thing and could lead to confusion.

One of our assignments was to find and bring to class examples of such jargon. Being the person that I am, of course, I just picked up a pamphlet from the English department itself on my way into class and one which listed the titles of presentations by English department professors. ...lol

Talk about jargon! There was terminology in there I hadn't seen or heard before nor have I seen or heard since!

When it came to discussion of our examples, however, I noticed that our teacher skipped right over me and mine! :(

...haha

Anyway, as far as the "establishment" goes, my nearest claim to fame would be that I as a college student had the opportunity to work briefly in the design group of one of the IBM PCs. I ended up having a chance at such a sweet gig through my school's cooperative education program because my first quarter grades were so good. ...and perhaps thanks to that "no credit" in English!!

My other two choices besides IBM were a government agency that not many people had heard of at the time called the NSA (which some jokingly said stood for "No Such Agency"), and an upstart video game design company by the name of Western Technologies, Inc. where, I was told, I would be writing programs for video games. (Just recently I looked that stuff up on the internet, btw, and it appears that I would have been writing games for a product they later released called the Vectrex.)

I could have returned to IBM after college, but after struggling with the idea I essentially chose to give up a career there so that I could find a way to follow my own inspirations to wherever they might lead me. I knew I wouldn't have the freedom to pursue my own interests while working for THE MAN - THE ESTABLISHMENT! ...or whomever, really.

...but not because I believe there's some sort of grand conspiracy against free thought, but rather that any employer's or institution's agenda is going to be different than my own and spending eight hours a day thinking about other people's stuff would be too taxing on my poor little brain if I were also going to be exploring my own stuff on my own time, too! So, I ultimately chose less mentally demanding jobs.

Creatively, then, not returning to IBM may have actually been a very good choice for me, but financially and health wise, and maybe also even in regards to my personal life, I've certainly paid a price. I stayed in my hometown which, to be honest, is kind of backwards and has piss poor medical care.

Anyway, maybe due to my choices, and despite my current health issues, I actually do now have some interesting things I could share with the world of not just a technical nature but seemingly also of historical and "religious" ones, too.

Hopefully, I'll eventually get around to doing that.

As far as the "jargon" in the "free energy" community goes, though, that does tend to annoy me a bit, also, but when it comes to the academic and/or scientific "publish or perish" communities, as suggested above they aren't always so innocent themselves - as many do seem to try to talk up their own "work" with their own special language.

You should see some of the words they string together!

On the other hand, where some technical language has indeed very specific and long accepted meanings, those words can be royally abused in a forum like this one.

So, all-in-all, if someone wants to use "ersatz" when speaking of using centrifugal force as an artificial gravity, I don't have much of a problem with that. I'm more perturbed by those who would be presumptuous enough to pretend they could overturn the accepted fundamental laws of physics without even knowing them.

Dwayne
Thanks very much for that, Dwayne. It's an enormous help when replying to a poster to know how to respond. To know what he is likely to know and what will be a closed book to him. There's no point in talking about the third derivative of position with respect to time if the poster has never learnt, even elementary calculus.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

@Grimer

I can see "Strain" exerted equates to "Force"

I plan not to use "ersatz" for Gravity.

I see no need to qualify Gravity as [Newtonian or Einstein].

The speeds we are using is within Newtonian Gravity.

If you are building devices rotating near the speed of light then speak-up?
Last edited by agor95 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

agor95 wrote:@Grimer
The speeds we are using are so low.
That's the royal "we" is it?
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Even when your applaud is a deflection and based on misunderstanding ...(sigh)...
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Please quote when you send a post so I know what you're talking about.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

@ME

Taking something positive from this thread.

I am building a simple Pendulum in VPython [Python 2.4].

Also as this it not related to Jim Mich. I will post on another thread.

However Jim ask me to find a way to lift a large weight with a smaller one.

Yes I am still looking.

Regards @All
nicbordeaux
Addict
Addict

Post by nicbordeaux »

Not sure what this thread is about now, and no, Grimer, I am not going to Wade through 100's of pages of stuff to discover :-)

Anyhow, it appears at a glance to be about techy hargon. Jargon is a tool used to make oneself look cleverer than one is in front of the non-initiated, to make mundane tasks seem terribly clever and complex. There are exceptions, but one should stick to the globally accepted meaning of the terms before using them.

If the discussion is also about "accepted physics" , I asked Google a few moths back "can you slow down light" , on the assumption that if you could slow it down, you should also be able to accelerate it. It turns out that some boffins have made a lense which in some conditions (quantum state, I believe, even if I wouldn't know a quantum state if I lived in one) will slow down a photon, and after that it continues at it's diminished speed. Not much help if you are designing and building "PM" machines in your shed, obviously.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Not sure what this thread is about now, and no, Grimer, I am not going to wade through 100's of pages of stuff to discover :-)
Lazy bastard.
Anyhow, it appears at a glance to be about techy jargon. Jargon is a tool used to make oneself look cleverer than one is in front of the non-initiated, to make mundane tasks seem terribly clever and complex. There are exceptions, but one should stick to the globally accepted meaning of the terms before using them.
Ooo... I've been a bad boy, haven't I Miss. Shall I go and stand on the naughty step?
If the discussion is also about "accepted physics" , I asked Google a few months back "can you slow down light" , on the assumption that if you could slow it down, you should
.....[yawn]

You're a pompous oik aren't you nick. :-)
nicbordeaux
Addict
Addict

Post by nicbordeaux »

Oh Grimer, you are being petulant, now. There are two problems I can think of, one of which you'll find the solution to here http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorder ... ome-care#1

Only other thing I can think of is that my actually built machine which I've just published a few short vids of on the open forum has you worried that I am dangerously close to something you are trying to attain ?

There is still time for you to repent :-) Peace and Love, Bro !

ps : Oiks, bounders, cads, rotters, nobs, proles... Honest guv'nor, wot a pity to resort to class warefare, especially you, always thought you were a vegan hippy high on tea leaves.
Last edited by nicbordeaux on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

LOL :-)

You're a cheeky bastard. I can see no one's going to be able to put you in your place. :-)

You remind me of one of my sons who is a financial software salesman. You need to be tough in that profession.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

@nicbordeaux

Can you read the first post of this subject/thread.

Members are drifting off topic;It happens regrettably
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

Perhaps our surrender monkey could bring it back to
being a Jim memorial thread with appropriate eulogy.