Tesla Documentary

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Tesla Documentary

Post by Furcurequs »

The U.S. Public Broadcasting Service's series American Experience has a program about Tesla which is currently available to watch online. I thought that some here might be interested. I'm just now watching it myself.

"Tesla"

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365867588/

I just watched an American Experience program on a mishap that happened in 1980 with a Titan II nuclear missile in Arkansas - which is rather sobering.

"Command and Control"

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365927736/

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

re: Tesla Documentary

Post by Furcurequs »

Well, this post isn't about Tesla but rather a couple of other famous inventors.

The U.S. Public Broadcasting Service recently rebroadcast their American Experience documentary on Thomas Edison, and it is currently available to stream online.

It, like the Tesla documentary, is very good, and I would highly recommend it. It's close to 2 hours long.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365586799/

For those who may not be able to watch the documentary from there, the following link should be to the same thing on youtube. For some reason, though, it appears to be more than an hour longer on youtube. I'll have to investigate and see why that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Q-S0Gcar0

The PBS series Secrets of the Dead also recently did a documentary on Leonardo da Vinci. It, too, is still available to stream online.

"Leonardo, The Man Who Saved Science"

"Leonardo da Vinci is well known for his inventions as well as his art. But new evidence shows that many of his ideas were realized long before he sketched them out in his notebooks — some even 1,700 years before. Was Leonardo a copycat?"

http://www.pbs.org/video/3000003576/

I don't see it on youtube, so if you are interested, I hope it plays for you.
I prefer working alone.
sleepy
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by sleepy »

I remember the missile mishap. When it finally came to light,it was really a wake up call. If not for the efforts and sacrifice of a few brave people,it could have been a real catastrophe.Thanks so much for the great info and links.
Trying to turn the spinning in my brain into something useful before moving on to the next life.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Sleepy,

That incident occurred around the time I was starting my senior year of high school. I'm pretty sure I heard about it in the news at the time, but I certainly didn't remember much about it from back then. The documentary was really enlightening and, again, sobering.

Like you say, without the bravery and sacrifice of some it might have been really bad. It seems, though, that there could have been a bit of luck involved, too.

Nothing is foolproof, so knowing that there are still many thousands of nuclear bombs in the world is pretty scary. Hopefully our luck won't run out any time soon.

For me it's also scary to know that there are actually people in this world who at the command of another wouldn't hesitate to turn the key and/or push the button that incinerates 10 million people.

Anyway, I guess we have PBS to thank for such good documentaries. I wish I had the money to help support them, but things are tight right now. Maybe if I get one of my gadgets running... ...and not to be confused with The Gadget from 1945.
I prefer working alone.
Andyb
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Andyb »

Thanks ,very interesting information, i watched it all and was made aware that Tesla was a constant inventor ,the other day i was searching for some thing on youtube and found a guy who claimed he had one of Tesla's devices for saving you money on your electricity bill i was going to follow it up and just got too busy, have you any experience with this as a idea, he claimed people have been using these for years and could reduce you bills by 80%,

One of my reasons for not really following this up is because friends have been trying to do the same thing for years ,but no results ,not to say they will not come through some day, i just thought i would see if other people have any positive results ,all the best and thanks for sharing you always come up with interesting stuff ,take care Andyb
Only by making mistakes can you truly learn
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Others will have better knowledge; however modifying the 3-phase supply is illegal and can be countered.

That could result is a burnout of your supply meter or your home.

I am on the white hat side - so no real whish to investigate this area.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Andy,

You're welcome. I've been fascinated with invention and inventors like Tesla and Edison ever since I was a kid.

Tesla, of course, had numerous inventions and those involving ac power like the multiphase induction motor were very significant in helping AC power generation and distribution win out over the DC system promoted by Thomas Edison.

A technical unit of magnetic flux density was even named after Tesla and then, quite obviously, the Tesla coil has his name also.

Later in life, Tesla started making some rather far out and unsubstantiated claims, but due to his prior success with some things that really were pretty extraordinary at the time of their invention, some people wanted to believe his more fantastic later ideas, too.

As far as the youtube stuff which some unscrupulous people may be using his name to promote, I really doubt there is anything to them. There is something called "power factor correction" that can be helpful for industrial users of electricity that can help to reduce the actual amount of current being drawn for typically highly inductive industrial loads and thus help in lowering electricity costs, but that apparently isn't much of a problem with residential customers.

With alternating current circuitry, the current and voltage can be out of phase with each other for reactive loads and since the real power being used is a product of the in-phase components, such circuitry draws more current than is really necessary.

Without some sort of phase correction for this, the power companies need heftier equipment to supply the unnecessarily large currents - which is more costly for them.

From what I've read, though, it sounds like most electrical companies have meters that just calculate the real power going into homes and that they aren't too concerned with measuring the higher "apparent power" (for individual homes) due to whatever phase shifts there might be present and so residential customers aren't really penalized for having lower power factors - "power factor" being the ratio between real and apparent power.

Other than being more conservative with our energy usage, then, there's probably not much more then that we can do about lowering our electric bills.

A few years ago, my electric company replaced my old meter with a "smart meter." I discovered just this week that I can go online and see my actual energy usage per month, per day or even per hour!

The online tools can also graph my usage against the temperature, so I can easily see how much it changes due to the weather. It appears that about half my yearly electrical usage is for heating during the cold months.

For me, adding more insulation and/or investing in a heat pump might be warranted.

I did know a guy years ago who was supposedly working on some sort of gadget to help lower electrical energy costs. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of smart thermostat or something.

I remember he was involved with Magnavox's stand alone word processor back in the day, and so I just looked it up. It was the VideoWRITER, and he's mentioned in this wiki article about it as the designer of the original motherboard that the commercial product was based upon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoWriter

Anyway, I'm glad you like my contributions, and I hope this might have been in some way helpful.

Dwayne
I prefer working alone.
Andyb
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Andyb »

Thank you for your very comprehensive response i feel enlightened and informed ,your share of information helps me to see why i never took the root of this kind of research,1my intuition said no, 2 it is out of my real area of understanding ,pm always seemed the easy option 12 years later and i am beginning to really understand , may be if i had put my time into electrical work i could be some where nearer ,but it was not to be ,thanks again for your help and take care Andyb.
Fcdriver
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Fcdriver »

Just a thought about saving money on your electric bill. Using a battery system similar to what is used on a solar system, or one that Tessla automotive has available would cause a reduction in the peak usage. What do they call it a capacitive discharge type system? Having less electricity delivered to your house not more, at peak times is what the costs are, the not needing such massive loads. Just a thought
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
Andyb
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Andyb »

So glad i stuck with pm, nice and simple ,i could power up some tesla coils power some neon tubes up which power solar panels which charge lithium batteries ,phew, i will stick to pm,thanks for the info guys really appreciated ,Andyb.