Building a Gravity Engine

a. the intentional perversion of truth; b. an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

Moderator: scott

Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: Building a Gravity Engine

Post by Oxygon »

;(

You are actually thinking of using a user rating scheme based on opinion poll type input under the guise of a (democratic reputation system)...?

I dont mean to attack soo bluntly...

...It would seem to me... apparently just me... that this is a bad direction to go, you would just force the inevitable creation of numerous pseudo-identities...

I think you keep expecting internet forum behavior to conform to real-life expectations of formal conduct and mutual respect...

the creation of a "Predator Notification System" assumes the affendors will retain their identity and comply without any realistic penalty available...

The internet is a pseudo-identity rich platform and by design a virtual world of perpetual transformation...

IMho... the investment would be futile...
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Oxygon, if you are right then what would you propose to prevent fraudsters trolling members?
Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Re: re: Building a Gravity Engine

Post by Oxygon »

ovyyus wrote:Oxygon, if you are right then what would you propose to prevent frausters trolling members?
... good sense

the fool has only himself to blame.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Yes, I see your point, maybe you're right.

Get involved with no one, trust no one, believe nothing, never waste your time, always play it safe, always watch your back.

If someone asks for help or makes a claim, now we have a fool-proof check list. Thanks.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

A matter of respect and response to Forum members.

why do some forum members insist on using an alias to identify themselves. I can not help but notice they are the are the highest percentage to to call the kettle black.

I have much more respect for members who are not above using their real names and are sincere in what they post. Instinct leads me to give more thought in what they post as they are willing to back it with the knowledge of identifying themselves.

Ralph
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Ralph, which forum members are you referring to?
Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Oxygon »

ovyyus wrote:now we have a fool-proof check list. Thanks.
Never invest too deeply, always be cautious and prepare for the worst - hope for the best...

A uniform top-down moral ranking system is fallible and open to bias...

Imo, I think the whole argument, finger pointing and ranking hysterics, etc... amounts to no more than paranoia and witch hunting...

this of all fields is dominated by the con-artist, known for them. Who are you trying to protect? Is this just a witch hunt? a few bad seeds in our midst and you recomend... A "scarlet letter" under their profile???

Inventors who seek the holy grail are often over protective, biased and secretive... no need to mention often insane...

I seek no overt reaction such as suggested...

I see what's going on...

potential loss is in the cards...

Some are brave and risk, some watch and learn...

If your aim is to warn others, than do so... protest...

---

anonymity is respect.

A level of privacy is warranted on the internet...

---

lower your noses for a bit, realize that free radicals exist and accept the possiblility that risk carries a plausible and sometimes worthy cost...

imo...
Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

Well ovyyus, Ralph said most of them, and might include you. And Oxygon too I bet (er, I hope your parents didn't name you that :D). In Bill's defense though, not only is his name right there on the website that everyone knows is his, but also his pseudonym is derived in the same way as Bessler's, and so is easily decoded as "Bill".
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Oxygon wrote:A uniform top-down moral ranking system is fallible and open to bias...

Imo, I think the whole argument, finger pointing and ranking hysterics, etc... amounts to no more than paranoia and witch hunting...
Hold on now Oxy, please don't discount the reputation system before you even know how it works. It's not perfect, but I do think it's the best option available...
-Scott
Q. What is a member reputation?
A. Member Reputation is a community ranking system for members. Members gain and lose reputation based on how they are ranked by fellow members.

Q. What are the different types of reputation?
A. Each member may fall into one of eleven reputation levels.

- Revered
- Admired
- Highly regarded
- Well respected
- Respected
- Appreciated
- Acknowledged
- No Reputation
- Disregarded by some
- Disrespected by some
- This member should be banned

Each member starts out with No Reputation.

Q. How do I gain a good reputation?
A. Getting a good reputation requires a high approval rating from your fellow members. Members who like you will most likely give you a good rating. Generally, posting useful information on the forum and interacting with fellow members politely will encourage your fellow members to give you a good rating thus increasing your reputation points.

Q. Why would I get a low reputation?
A. If your fellow members generally do not like the way you behave in the forum, they will most likely give you a bad rating which takes away from your reputation points.

Q. What can I do to recover from a low reputation?
A. Each member has the ability to rate you (good or bad) depending on how they feel about your participation in the forum. However, each member can change their mind and revoke a bad rating at any time. They can then change their rating to good. So there is always a second chance to redeem yourself. Similarly, a member can also revoke a good rating and change it to a bad rating, so it works both ways.

Q. How many times can I rate a member?
A. You can only rate a fellow member once. You also have the option to change your rating at any time.

Q. Does giving a bad rating lower my reputation?
A. Yes. Giving bad ratings to members will lower your own reputation. It would be safe to say that if you don't like a lot of your fellow members, then it is probably true that they do not like you either. The more members you give a bad rating to, the lower your reputation will be.

Q. Does giving a good rating improve my reputation?
A. No.

Q. How many Reputation points can a member give or take away?
A. A member who rates another member with a good rating will add points to the recipient member's Reputation points. A member who rates another member with a negative rating will subtract points from the member's Reputation points. The higher the reputation of a particular member, the more reputation points he can give or take away.

Q. How do I rate a member?
A. To rate a member, you must view one of his or her posts. On the left side, you will see his or her Reputation displayed. If you have not rated the member yet, you will have an option to give a 'good' or a 'bad' rating. If you have previously rated a member, you will see an option to 'revoke' your rating. After you have revoked your rating, you may opt to rate the member again or leave the member unrated.

Q. Who can rate a member?
A. Only registered members can rate another forum member.

Q. What other factors can affect my Reputation?
A. Only active members' ratings will be included in the calculation of your reputation points. Members that become inactive will be removed from the member database and their ratings of fellow members will be removed as well. This could change your reputation either good or bad depending on how the deleted member had rated you.
Last edited by scott on Mon May 16, 2005 5:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Oystein
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Oystein »

Hello Scott
Looks cool !

But how do you see this scenario : ?

A person gives all the other forum members ( with at least one post )GOOD rating but he is a "pain in the a.. member" so many (but not all) of the members gives him BAD rating..

This person will end with a positive account, even if he is a pain in the a.. !?

I think members have to be able to vote eachother differently !!
So for example voting positive on passive memebers (that don`t bother voting back on you) can`t increase your own account !!!

Best
Oystein
Ed
Addict
Addict

Post by Ed »

I'm not sure exactly how this reputation system works, but if posts were handled like amazon where there was a "was this post helpful? yes, no, waste" and this information added to the reputation?

There are many rated forums where people gain from helping others with questions and the people with the question give credit to the one who helped the most.

There must be something we can take from all of these concepts to apply here. In the system Scott is working on, even if someone wants to create a new account they would start off with zero. If someone gets a bad rap and they wanted to build up their rep without taking time, the best they could do is start a new account and keep their nose clean!

-Ed
Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Oxygon »

scott wrote:Hold on now Oxy, please don't discount the reputation system before you even know how it works. It's not perfect, but I do think it's the best option available...
-Scott
Ok, the last thing I have to say is this...

What's so wrong with the way things are now?

The only reason people are pursuing this soo hard is VANDUGEGS...

Which I personally don't give a rats but about... people get reputations here, that's a givin...We don't need "member opinion polls"...

I dont think we need to start plastering "Danger" under their profiles because of a few sore members...

If you have any investment in this forum and its members... the questionable associates are obvious...

I just personally think member labeling goes to far... imo...

I can't believe you people get so rilled up over this stuff...????

I am not "with" the idea... I don"t want to give everyone a gun... or take away everyones ability to fight back...

I am just one member, if you all want to pass a judgement on each other go ahead...

Perhaps a (opt-out) option could be added, whereby this member opting-out could be identified as "Unknown Creditability"...

But I then only forsee a mutual butt kissing convention... ;\

Que sera, sera...
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Oystein wrote:But how do you see this scenario : ?

A person gives all the other forum members ( with at least one post )GOOD rating but he is a "pain in the a.. member" so many (but not all) of the members gives him BAD rating..

This person will end with a positive account, even if he is a pain in the a.. !?
You're right Oystein. I will probably do away with the possibility of increasing own's own reputation by giving everyone else a positive rating.

Giving a member a negative rating will slightly lower your own reputation, while giving someone a positive rating will have no effect on your own reputation.

Thanks,
Scott
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Ever hear the story of the dumb uneducated drop out.

He was hired to work on a factory assembly line, the foreman took him to his work station and explained his responsablities. The kid looked the whole situation over and stated to the Foreman, why don't you do this and that would eliminate another operation.

The Foreman said WOW! that s a good Idea and for 40 years no one had thought of it. Every new employee always excepted what was their as believing the employer had designed the system for optimum output.

Moral here is, no matter what the reputation of an individual, they still can offer innovative ideas.

If you do not like an individual simply because he has lost your respect, do not imply that he may not come up with fruitful input.

In the mean time a college graduate was also hired, handed a broom and was told to sweep the floor. The Grad. said "but I am a college graduate with a degree". The foreman explained Oh! that's right, I forgot. here, hand me the broom and I will show you how to use it.

Ralph
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

A person's reputation often changes with time, their basic nature rarely does.