Building a Gravity Engine

a. the intentional perversion of truth; b. an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

Moderator: scott

rlortie
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Building a Gravity Engine

Post by rlortie »

ovyyus wrote:A person's reputation often changes with time, their basic nature rarely does.
Yes Bill,(ovyyus) Duh! deleted.
I know who you are and any past implications did not apply to you as Jonathan explained. I even know why the alphabet is in the order that it is. It is because of that song, a-b-c-d-etc.

I agree that basic nature tends to be instinctively implanted. but reputation can change one day at a time.

My point is , neither reputation or behavior has anything to do with innovation. Best of scammers have great innovative minds in order to do what they do best. It is up to the rest of us to be smart enough to listen to the idea but consider the source, if it feels like they are after your wallet, keep it secure.

Ralph
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

re: Building a Gravity Engine

Post by ovyyus »

Well Ralph, I have my doubts about the value of scammers. So many doubts I'd stomp them in a heartbeat! IMO, the discussed reputation system won't stop them plying their trade and occassionally succeeding. Weeding is good.

PS my sig isn't just for you.
Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Oxygon »

rlortie wrote:The Foreman said WOW! that s a good Idea and for 40 years no one had thought of it. Every new employee always excepted what was their as believing the employer had designed the system for optimum output.

Moral here is, no matter what the reputation of an individual, they still can offer innovative ideas.

If you do not like an individual simply because he has lost your respect, do not imply that he may not come up with fruitful input.

In the mean time a college graduate was also hired, handed a broom and was told to sweep the floor. The Grad. said "but I am a college graduate with a degree". The foreman explained Oh! that's right, I forgot. here, hand me the broom and I will show you how to use it.

Ralph
I've seen this happen and know it to be true...

One of the few talents I have is good visualization...

Often you see things other people just can't make sence of...

I am not trying to toot my own horn... far from it!... I am more malfunctional than functional...

Sometimes you can switch an old paradigm for a new one...

"The world may be saved by a fool..."

I would be happy to be that fool... :D
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

There's a difference between a person's intelligence and a person's education.

There's a difference between a person's reputation and a person's character.

ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Yes Jim, a person can even have one without the other.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

rlortie wrote:Best of scammers have great innovative minds in order to do what they do best.
Ralph, it seems to me that you are missing a very important distinction here: the difference between a crank and a scammer.

A crank is an eccentric, often delusional, often very bright type of person who can change the world if he or she has enough tenacity. Mark Twain said "Cranks keep the world turning" and "A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds." On a related note, I was delighted when this site earned the title of "cranky" on crank.net.

A scammer, on the other hand, is someone who bilks other people out of cash and precious time using dishonest and/or fraudulent means.

The difference is this: Cranks are respectable people, while scammers have a much harder row to how.

Honesty always earns respect, while dishonesty always earns scorn.

That's the all-important distinction between users here on the board that the new reputation system will hopefully reflect. Come to think of it, maybe the lowest reputation category should be called "Scorned" rather than "Disregarded and disrespected."

Any other feedback out there on my proposed categories?

-Scott
coylo

Post by coylo »

Q. What are the different types of reputation?
A. Each member may fall into one of eleven reputation levels.

- Revered
- Admired
- Highly regarded
- Well respected
- Respected
- Appreciated
- Acknowledged
- No Reputation
- Disregarded by some
- Disregarded by many
- Disregarded and disrespected
I think what members are trying to get at here is that the above reputation levels are geared towards judging intelligence, rather than judging trust and honour as originally intended.

Keep it simple...

1. Trusted
2. Under Suspicion ?
3. Conman
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

What if... someone built a wheel based on a design that most everyone knows won't work. But due to a quirk of poor construction it produced a tiny bit more output than consumed by friction, that is it barely worked. That person thought if it was built bigger it would work better. He went looking for and found some financial help. He didn't know enough physics to understand his wheel. His bigger wheel didn't work better, maybe not at all? And a well-built wheel according to his plans won't work at all.

My question, is that person a "Conman" or should he be considered "Disregarded and disrespected" because of his actions?

I think it best to shy away from labeling someone a Conman?

Just my opinion.

Jonathan
Addict
Addict

Post by Jonathan »

You could change #3 to "concensus: conman", and then add a #4, to be used more sparingly, that would be what coylo said #3 should be. Jim's hypothetical guy would be in the new #3 category, and could be downgraded to #4 if it could be proven that even his original sloppy model didn't work.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right not to know what I'm talking about and not to mention this possibility in my posts. This disclaimer also applies to sentences I claim are quotes from anybody, including me.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

I really don't understand how the proposed ratings system would help stop scammers. I think it might be useful as a tool to moderate episodic behavior and other basically honest personal flaws. But IMO that's not even a problem on this board.

Dealing with an obviously fraudulent individual is a different matter entirely, one that no reputation system will correct or modify. So what if they come back in a new disguise? There's nothing stopping them doing that now. As has been said already they'd probably do that anyway if they saw an imposed rep system hindering their activity.

I still say the best and only way to deal with a known fraudster is to blow them away - and it sends other parasites the right message. K.I.S.S.
Silver Eyes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silver Eyes »

I think the real problem comes from the reputation system grades coming from peoples opinions. People can be biased. It should be more mathematical, if there is to be one at all.
How bout this. Profiles of the most prolific posters, and of the most often to post posters. I see it as a frame with their picture in it, placed in a gallery section. A visitor or member can browse this gallery, like a museum and click on one of these peoples profiles. That would take them to a menu that has statistics about that person and have a comment section where they put in any information they want to, what their opinions are. These opinions can of course be anything and can include what they feel about certain other members. The proposed system is going to be opinion based anyway, instead of outright labeling someone by general consensus have it done like this.
Ex. Oyyvus. -click-
Picture (whatever)
Web site
I like Bessler because of....
Beware of Darrel Van. because of....
ETC.

The opinions of people are already up on these threads but the threads go away into the past. A gallery is more permanent.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Hi Silver Eyes (spooky name), what you propose kind of aready exists in the form of a members profile page. Click on any username. With the addition of a text box that displays entries for general viewing such as comments, interests, links, etc, it might be close to what you propose.

Of course, it's not usually the most thrilling experience clicking through member profile pages considering that most members, up to now, seem to avoid including even the most basic information about themselves. Hint, hint ;)
Silver Eyes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silver Eyes »

Hi Ovyyus, I meant like a gallery picture museum though thats has it's own section so it's easy to see.

There could be four or more ways to merit such a place in the museum.

Bessler patrons. These would be people like yourself that have made websites towards Bessler.
Bessler philosopheres. People who often comment on and give out ideas.
Scotties (as in star trek) People who lend a technical assistace to others.
Hang buddies. People who make a lot of posts no matter what the content.

Post by Guest »

ovyyus wrote:Hi Silver Eyes (spooky name), what you propose kind of aready exists in the form of a members profile page. Click on any username. With the addition of a text box that displays entries for general viewing such as comments, interests, links, etc, it might be close to what you propose.

Of course, it's not usually the most thrilling experience clicking through member profile pages considering that most members, up to now, seem to avoid including even the most basic information about themselves. Hint, hint ;)
amen and hint ,hint.

Wouldn't it be nice to open a profile and find the persons real name, their location and what there skills, interests and favorite concepts are.

I know where to go for a mathematician, a welder or fabricator (myself), a computer whiz or a simulator programmer, Problem is it has taken me some time to put them together and then find that they are not interested or half way around the world.

Ralph
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Hey Ralph, I see Silver Eyes (still think it's a spooky name) has given us a more complete profile in the last 10 days (there was nothing to go on before)...

Interests: Surfer of the Silver Sea

What more could you ask for :D

I think his eyes are Silver because they reflect the Sea.