The search for truth.

a. the intentional perversion of truth; b. an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

Moderator: scott

nneba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

re: The search for truth.

Post by nneba »

Hi,

I bet that many outsiders who dont share our opinions would laugh at us for discussing this subject.
However, the only way for us to advance our understanding of a known subject is by challenging "truth" no matter how obvious it may seem.

Jim, is there really such a thing as 100% probability? probablity is itself only probable.

....whoa...that deserves a red dot
Aman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Aman »

If you want to really know the truth,I suggest to also participate in my forum discussion:
http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewt ... 7509#97509
path_finder
Addict
Addict

Post by path_finder »

Dear Aman,
Why only some happy fews should be able to know the truth?
I cannot imagine why nobody though on this before, including myself? It is so simple!...
Dwylbtzle
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Dwylbtzle »

Last I checked
Jesus is the only one I know of who ever said "I AM the way THE TRUTH and the life"

anyone else i take with a grain of salt
Dwylbtzle
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Dwylbtzle »

jim_mich wrote:Nic,
Truth is truth. What you describe is not truth. It is probability. Truth is 100% probability. Truth only relates to past and present events. This is because the future is never 100% sure.

just a funny story:
I once knew a guy who, one day, tried to tell me THE OFFICIAL DEFINITION of truth is whatever anyone thinks is truth
to HIM that's the truth to him

so i asked: in other words the TRUTH to one particular guy might be that he's NOT driving off a cliff?
when truthfully, (in my opinion) he IS about to plumbet off some dang embankment???
so i pointed out that even though the guy may have thought that he knew the truth
if words don't mean a damn thing any more
and we can't tell that guy he doesn't REALLY have the TRUTH
and he's gonna total his vehicle in a minute here
isn't that kinda gonna be a drag for THAT GUY?
can't we hold up an abstract concept?
are we THAT feeble?
oh ok lets all just (as a race) just be SENILE now, i guess?

so he snottily slams a webster's dictionary down in front of me and invites me to look it up

and when the definition they had in there didn't even come CLOSE to "whatever the frick anyone happens to think truth is at any moment"

that just pissed him off even more
hehe
oh well
what're ya gonna do?
Jim Williams
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Jim Williams »

edit
primemignonite
Devotee
Devotee

Post by primemignonite »

[Note: I do not know why or how I posted this at another place. It was intended for here not there so, I am only now placing at the right place.]

Where IS Patrick?

Did he drum himself out for good?

For any that might have forgotten (conveniently?), his introduction to the "FRAUD" Public Forum went as follows:

Here we try and expose the folly and foibles of our fellow man.

The easiest person to deceive is ourselves.

Do we really?

Are we, really?

Too obviously, Patrick did not think to self-apply his own advice that he aimed at others, when perpetrating what
caused his hasty little exit, AND YET he sports-still as a Fourite after having been caught doing the very thing he
proselytized against particularly, loudly, and publicly!

This adds hypocrisy to his later, fraudulent excess.

Respect and demand for Justice is D-E-A-D!

This is one WRONG world, and by-the-day it becomes more-so.

My not-so-humble advice?

Ignore the fact and learn to love it. For they that do, it gets way-better and soon.

James
Cynic-In-Chief, BesslerWheel (Ret.); Perpetualist First-Class; Iconoclast. "The Iconoclast, like the other mills of God, grinds slowly, but it grinds exceedingly small." - Brann
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

There is only one truth.
We can choose to think that we know it is the truth or we can choose to know that we think it is the truth.
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

The concept of "truth" is that it is simply all that exists as cause and effect.
You can only observe your slice of reality from your own point and only experience that perspective at the moment you are there.
In fact there are infinite points and many perspectives. But that doesn't mean that everything goes.
I think it's most healthy to at least attempt to change perspective from time to time.

Sometimes it only seems that different perspectives gives contradicting correlation and gives rise to untruths.
But it is actually not the different vantage point that shows untruth.
Untruth is the mechanism where some people freeze and hardens in their viewpoint, in the attempt to keep that mirage as if it's one consistent monolith.

At least, that's how I see it.
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---