Inertia

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

ME
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Inertia

Post by ME »

Silvertiger wrote:You're right. I did change my mind...and thought that I had said as much lol.
[...]
Hopefully that clears a few things up. :)
LoL, I see. Sorry I missed it.
We're only human.
ME wrote:I had a few ideas as reply already: I'll prepare something. The Inertial effect is really simple...
Here it is, new topic: INERTIA, what is it actually?
I could continue after 3 too long posts because I'm in a flow, perhaps better to put it on hold.... ok, I'll add one, about 'time'.
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
Senax
Devotee
Devotee

re: Inertia

Post by Senax »

Below is a quote from the OverUnity forum nine years ago that sums up my view of iM, inertial mass.
Grimer wrote:These equations may be interpreted as follows. Increase in the speed of an inertial body relative to its environment (characterised by an environmental speed) is accompanied by a transformation of the internal velocity, v, into an external velocity u. In other words the external kinetic energy is derived from the internal kinetic energy, or in simpler hierarchical terms, exteranl motion is derived from internal motion. Clearly this is a more mundane and intelligible explanation with the change in inertia with increasing speed than that normally given, an explanation moreover that is fully in accordance with the behaviour of a substance at a higher scale as exempified by the kinetic theory of heat.

In effect inertial substances are seen as active, not passive; as containing servo-mechanisms, force amplifiers. The energy put into accelerating a body is merely a control energy which is proportional to, but at non-relativistic speeds, a minute fraction of the total energy needed to overcome inertial effects. As the speed of the body reaches speeds comparable with the characteristic field speed the servo-mechanisms become less and less effective until at the speed of light all the energy has to be applied from external sources.
AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Ô Marie, conçue sans péché, priez pour nous qui avons recours à vous.
Senax
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Senax »

The way one can be deceived by internal servos can easily be demonstrated in the case of rotational inertia by filling a black box with free running gyros in gimbals. If the gimbals are free then it is easy to rotate the box. Lock the gimbals and the rotational inertia (mass if you didn't understand what mass really is and didn't know what was going on) increases enormously.

Likewise, any decent engineer could devise a railway waggon where if you pushed against it with a force of 1 pound, release of gyro energy would drive the wheels with a force of 1000 pounds.
The human pusher would be deceived into thinking that the mass of the carriage was far less than in reality since he would judge the mass from the acceleration produced by the force he applied. He would not realise that the energy he was putting in was merely a control energy which was being multiplied a thousand times by the machinery inside the waggon.
Silvertiger
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Silvertiger »

Gyroscopes are fascinating indeed. Even though they seem to display odd behavior, it can be easily explained by stating that they are vector-preserving due to conservation of momentum. A vector has both magnitude and direction, which is why an object rotating at high speed will do its best to stick to its plane of rotation - momentum - and voila, no more magic. Your perceived force of 1000 lbs due to "gyro energy" is simply momentum - trying to push a parked car versus trying to Fred Flintstone a moving one to a stop.
Senax
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Senax »

The magic comes in with the more complicated arrangements such as the offset gyro where you have a couple generated in which the gyro appears to display anti-gravity by having forces at near right angles combining to give the impression of anti-gravity - anti Newtonian Gravity (NG) that is.

Interestingly enough the offset gyro demonstrate the essence of servo-mechanism action.

If you use your finger to halt the gyro in its slow progress around the tower to it will rear up against the force of NG even though you've only given it the slightest touch.

This demonstration can be seen as a quantum of servo action.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

I think these questions are more Off-Topic and about Inertia.

1. When a magnetic field changes can it overshoot the destination value?
Is it possible to see momentum & Inertia effects.
2. Also for electric fields does the hold true?

3. Do you have to do work to create a distortion to these fields?

P.S. just blue sky thinking.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
Senax
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Senax »

I thought this was an interesting article alex dug up

This paragraph in particular caught my attention.
I didn’t understand it, nor did my mad interlocutor, and anyone who claims otherwise is not being entirely honest. Despite a gyroscope’s utter simplicity—it is, after all, nothing more than a wheel on an axle—it remains the most fascinating and mysterious device ever created. Spin up the wheel, place it on a pedestal, and there it stays, pointed at…?
The VimmyWheel is nothing more than a wheel on an axis. Interestingly enough
it displays a gyro chacteristic which I shall discuss when I post a video of our
tests on the Buzz thread.

As for mysterious it same very mysterious to me that what goes on by movements in a "black box" like Besslers and Vimmy's (if I bothered to cover it) should be able to drive a tolley down a track without the paraphinaliar of
conventiona engines.
Senax
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Senax »

Silvertiger wrote:Gyroscopes are fascinating indeed. Even though they seem to display odd behavior, it can be easily explained by stating that they are vector-preserving due to conservation of momentum. A vector has both magnitude and direction, which is why an object rotating at high speed will do its best to stick to its plane of rotation - momentum - and voila, no more magic. Your perceived force of 1000 lbs due to "gyro energy" is simply momentum - trying to push a parked car versus trying to Fred Flintstone a moving one to a stop.
Yes but what are the couple that holds up the gyro and how does it arise.

It's only recently that I realised this myself and thanks to Clarkson can see the
connection with heterodyne action.