3D Printers

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

agor95
Addict
Addict

3D Printers

Post by agor95 »

Welcome

This is a thread for Technical support for 3D Printers and there use in builds of Besslers' Wheels.

It would be helpful to have lesson learned from 3D Printer users.

The Good, Bad and Ugly of your efforts on this topic.

That does also include model file creation and conversion to Gcode.

Cheers
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
agor95
Addict
Addict

re: 3D Printers

Post by agor95 »

To allow fabrication of components we need to know some basic facts.

Density of the plastic modeling material.

Modeling material properties.

Dimensions of the modeling Volume.

Note. Components need to link, slide and bend/spring with each other.

Blender can be used for modeling and the slicing with GCode can be done with
available converter software; when required.

All the Best
agor95
Addict
Addict

RE: 3D Printers

Post by agor95 »

The last post went well almost 2 years gathering dust!

The idea is to use precision modelling so fabrication, computer modelling and mathematical modelling can overlap.

A more of sharing skills within the members.

Therefore knowing the physical precision and properties of construction materials has value.

Now I am researching two of the above three.

We lack the fabrication aspect and extra components available like springs, bearings, masses etc.

P.S. I could make a model using the dust?
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Re: 3D Printers

Post by Tarsier79 »

You can make flexible components with 3d print. You can probably make some sort of spring too, but it would never be as good as a pre-fabricated spring from the hardware shop.

Just having the components to build something doesn't mean that you have the ability to build it. A 3d printer is a great tool. Bessler didn't have one, but if he did I bet his life would have been easier...once he discovered the principle.

PLA is a bio-degradable material. Expect it to break down over time. Material selection matters.
thx4
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by thx4 »

Aujourd'hui tu peux trouver une petite imprimante 3D pour un peu plus de 100$/€.
Tu vas tout apprendre, faire tes propres modèles, les imprimer, c'est très plaisant...
J'ai pas compté mais je crois que c'est pas loin de ma dixième machine je les vends tous les six mois.
J'ai toujours deux machines, un vieux modèle une horloge très lente mais une horloge lol
Et une bombe une Qidi ifast un modèle semi professionnel environ 2500$. un peu cher pour un amateur mais j'ai accès à par exemple deux têtes d'extrudeur. Ce qui permet d'imprimer deux filaments différents sur un même modèle. exemple : imprimer un modèle avec des supports difficiles d'accès pour les retirer.
J'utilise du PVA (soluble à l'eau) pour les supports et du PLA pour le modèle, solution parfaite.
Les réglages des imprimantes 3D peuvent être très chronophage, certaine machine Delta par exemple peuvent vous rendre dingue, donc une bonne machine cartésienne pour commencer ce sera parfait.
Un exemple de PVA blanc (10% de densité)pour support et PLA noir (20% de densité) pour le modèle que vous verrez bientôt : 36 heures d'impression (il faut rester calme) lol.

Today you can find a small 3D printer for a little over 100$/€.
You'll learn everything, make your own models, print them, it's very pleasant...
I haven't counted but I think it's about my tenth machine, I sell them every six months.
I still have two machines, an old model a very slow clock but a clock lol
And a bomb a Qidi ifast a semi professional model about 2500$. a bit expensive for an amateur but I have access to for example two extruder heads. This allows me to print two different filaments on the same model. example: print a model with hard to reach supports to remove them.
I use PVA (water soluble) for the supports and PLA for the model, a perfect solution.
3D printers can be very time consuming to set up, some Delta machines for example can drive you crazy, so a good Cartesian machine to start with will be perfect.
An example of white PVA (10% density) for support and black PLA (20% density) for the model you will see soon: 36 hours of printing (you have to stay calm) lol.
The world is perfect.
thx4
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by thx4 »

C'était mon premier essai avec du PVA, j'étais pressé évidemment et j'ai monté la température, mauvaise idée cela ramolli le PLA, une heure plus tard impeccable, encore beaucoup de pièces à imprimer, résultat fin de semaine ou début septembre.:)
A++
This was my first try with PVA, I was in a hurry of course and raised the temperature, bad idea that softens the PLA, one hour later perfect, still a lot of parts to print, result at the end of the week or beginning of September :)
A++
The world is perfect.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Thank you for contributing to this thread.

Imagine a person building a computer 3D and mathematical models.

What technical information would they need to constrain their designs to allow the models to be compatible with 3D printing?

Could we the members of this forum come to an agreed standard specification?

I have the flexibility to comply with any reasonable specification.

However the specification needs to be within the price limits.

So component size restriction and not using gold thread :-)

What do you think of the proposal?

Regards
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

Any model can be scaled or cut into more manageable sizes. The problem is the bolt holes are scaled also, so you could 1/2 scale a m6 hole to an M3 (or scale to M4). I personally don't see a need for a standard in this space. Any STL model can be reproduced by almost anyone with a 3d printer. Parts just have to be designed with printing in mind in the first place.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Tarsier79 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:03 am ... Any STL model can be reproduced by almost anyone with a 3d printer. Parts just have to be designed with printing in mind in the first place.
All right STL model.

When two components clip together what tolerance should be used?

Think like jigsaw pieces.

We have talked about flexibility. What minimum thickness could be used?

The idea is to give guidelines / standards so the product of the modelers could be a source of development to 3D printer owners.

Regards
Last edited by agor95 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thx4
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by thx4 »

agor95 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:37 am When two components clip together what tolerance should be used?
It varies according to the material used
(Carbon, nylon, pla, etc)
In principle I use 0.02 mm, but the simplest is to print a small cube of 20x20mm and then measure the differences with a caliper and make an average.
Now if you want some pieces in Pla I remain at your disposal.

A++
The world is perfect.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Thank you for the information.

I will keep your offer in mind.

There is some convincing required first for the 'Perpetual Pendulum' to be accepted.

So many people have tried; all options should have been tested by now.

After eliminating so much one ends up with P.P. device needing to work.

A Bessler device I believe uses it as a foundation.

Regards
Last edited by agor95 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.